OQBA Mission Statement

Post any league results /updates from Central Ohio here. This includes the areas near Dayton and Columbus and surrounding cities.

OQBA Mission Statement

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm

If you have some constructive criticism please comment.

Ohio Quizbowl Alliance Mission statement:
The purpose of Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance is to educate and develop quiz bowl in all parts of the state; to provide, promote, and celebrate knowledge in all its forms through teamwork and competition with schools across the state; to provide a community for student/coach trivia-lovers and offer the opportunity for competition and learning within the quiz bowl canon; to expand the breadth of knowledge from the scientific and the literary to pop culture and current events.

Clarification:
Just to clarify this is a group of enthusiasts whose purpose is not to replace the OAC (Ohio Academic Competition) but to work in tandem with it. The mission statement says all parts of the state (that is down the road). We are currently working on strengthening Quiz Bowl in the following areas: Columbus Metro/ East Central/ South Central/ Southwestern and Southeastern. We are asking people who are interested in helping by reading at nearby tournaments or hosting.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: OQBA Mission Statement

Postby CloverleafAC » Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 am

So, if this "alliance" is not to compete with OAC, then one might ask why you need to have it, since many of you are involved with OAC and NAQT. It also seems very well organized, with a calendar, mission statement, etc. to just be an informal group. If it is just a group of enthusiastic quiz bowl people, and no more, then is a formal organization needed? Even using the term "alliance" semantically implies a formal organization. I do not mean to be rude, but it reminds me of the old saying, "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a...???"
CloverleafAC
Rookie

Postby Get Lynned » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm

For a pretty long time, there was no explanation as to what the OQBA does, who the OQBA is, what the OQBA's prerogatives are, and why the OQBA is necessary in the first place. It has come off as confusing, mysterious organization to quite a few people, and it still does to some. I'm kind of curious why there wasn't much of an announcement defining them back when their name started popping up on tournament announcements last fall and what they planned to do. Perhaps if that explanation was given earlier from the get-go, people wouldn't still be confused as to what they do and why they are an organization in the first place.

EDIT: for the record, I don't think Cortney, Coach Queen et al are mysterious nor confusing people.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 am

We created this alliance because there was a perceived lack of mobilization in this part of the state, and this is an attempt to bring the Central and Southern regions up to the level that exists in NE Ohio and Dayton areas (WC regional). Other states have multiple Quizbowl organizations which is a sign of strength. As a side note why are there two teachers unions in Ohio and nobody seems to care?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

You can have two things exist and not cause one another issues if they have separate goals. OAC has the goal of running tournaments to pick a state champion in that format. OQBA is trying to run tournaments and increase participation in quiz bowl in areas that trail behind others. I do not see how that can be a bad thing for anyone that loves quiz bowl.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby CloverleafAC » Wed May 18, 2016 10:05 pm

I do not think anyone has issues with trying to improve quiz bow in any area of the state. A noble and worthy goal for all. I think, what gives some people pause, is that the "Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance" appears to many, and perhaps incorrectly, to be an organization aiming to promote a third statewide "system" or confederation for quiz bowl. As I just said, this may be very incorrect, but as we all know, often perception is reality unless otherwise debunked. For example, if your goal is to improve the quiz bowl circuit in southern and south-central Ohio, why not call your organization something like "Central & Southern Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance". If I sought a similar goal of improving quiz bowl in NE Ohio, I would not name it the "Ohio" quiz bowl alliance. Do you see how this may cause furrowed brows elsewhere?

Secondly, having your own separate 'tournament calendar' presents the image that these are OQBA sanctions the events listed. I assume that is not the intent, but it does give that perception. Why not just use the very well designed calendar of events on this forum? It has been reliable for years. Again, I assume the OQBA is attempting a laudable goal, but looking at all of this from the outside, gives many the perception akin the Prince Hamlet..."Something is rotten in the state of Denmark".

Another cause for concern is based upon looking at the posts about the OQBA is that we already have two statewide systems of quiz bowl play in Ohio. The OAC and NAQT already operate as statewide organizations. Ohio does not read a third championship event. Again, I assume the best of intentions, but I feel I am just putting the the concerns of many people in on the outside looking in.
CloverleafAC
Rookie

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 am

I do not think anyone has issues with trying to improve quiz bow in any area of the state. A noble and worthy goal for all. I think, what gives some people pause, is that the "Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance" appears to many, and perhaps incorrectly, to be an organization aiming to promote a third statewide "system" or confederation for quiz bowl. As I just said, this may be very incorrect, but as we all know, often perception is reality unless otherwise debunked. For example, if your goal is to improve the quiz bowl circuit in southern and south-central Ohio, why not call your organization something like "Central & Southern Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance". If I sought a similar goal of improving quiz bowl in NE Ohio, I would not name it the "Ohio" quiz bowl alliance. Do you see how this may cause furrowed brows elsewhere?

There is no 3rd confederation of Quizbowl there is the OAC and the OQBA. Well our focus is Central and Southern Ohio but we have had contacts with teams outside of those regions and may expand if there is interest.

Secondly, having your own separate 'tournament calendar' presents the image that these are OQBA sanctions the events listed. I assume that is not the intent, but it does give that perception. Why not just use the very well designed calendar of events on this forum? It has been reliable for years. Again, I assume the OQBA is attempting a laudable goal, but looking at all of this from the outside, gives many the perception akin the Prince Hamlet..."Something is rotten in the state of Denmark".

The calendar that we posted was taken from the forums (we just added our dates to it). We took into consideration the OAC calendar and tried not to double book. Most teams from Southern and Central regions do not travel to Solon or Copley. Fisher/St. Charles and sometimes Liberty and Scioto travel outside the area.

Another cause for concern is based upon looking at the posts about the OQBA is that we already have two statewide systems of quiz bowl play in Ohio. The OAC and NAQT already operate as statewide organizations. Ohio does not read a third championship event. Again, I assume the best of intentions, but I feel I am just putting the the concerns of many people in on the outside looking in

There is no Ohio NAQT derivative. OAC has their format + Championship. NAQT is a vendor. St. Charles hosts the state HS NAQT and the OQBA hosts the state MS NAQT we get along just fine.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Return to Central Ohio Quizbowl