2013-14 Mid-State Academic League

Post any league results /updates from Central Ohio here. This includes the areas near Dayton and Columbus and surrounding cities.

2013-14 Mid-State Academic League

Postby Get Lynned » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:36 pm

The Mid-State Academic League is currently in its final week of competition for the 2013-14 school year. Consisting of fifteen schools from four counties, competitions are held by four schools every week for five weeks. Because the league number is fifteen schools, and not sixteen, every school will have one bye round per season. Game format is no buzzers, timed matches of 30 minutes divided into three segments of ten minutes. This is a team question format, ten points if your team answers your designated team question right, five points if your team gets a "rebound" from the other team. Maximum question total in a game is 80, split 40/40 between both teams.

I'll update this Sunday night when I have the actual standings and scores, so this is a temporary and hastily made forum post. Right now, there are two teams at the top of the league standings at a perfect record: Granville and Fisher Catholic. Granville and Fisher Catholic will be all-but-playing for the "league championship" in what I think is the final match of week five. There is a big divide between these two teams and the next thirteen, although there are a few teams that would do decent at pyramidal quiz bowl in my estimation. Liberty Union is basically "The Tristan Mooney Show", and has been for a few years now. I think they would be a team that, if exposed to pyramidal quiz bowl, would be a threat at Small School NAQT Nationals. Logan Elm is a formidable team. Licking Heights is another okay team, they went to the National Academic Competition last year. In its second year of having a quiz bowl team, newcomer Fairfield Christian is in the top half of the league standings.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: 2013-14 Mid-State Academic League

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 am

Fisher defeats Granville 420-200 to win the MSaL league portion. Because of this, Fisher doesn't have to participate in the league tournament to be held March 5th at Millersport High School.

I don't have the league standings around me, because it's not updated due to make-ups still having to be played. However, I have the general standings (they may not necessarily be in the right order). I'll update for more clarity when I see them tomorrow (if I see them).

Top Five
Fisher Catholic
Granville
Newark Catholic
Liberty Union
Logan Elm

Middle Five
Licking Heights
Fairfield Christian
Fairfield Union
Bloom-Carroll
Heath