SCOL Quick Recall

Post any league results /news from Southern Ohio here. This encompasses the southwest region and any southeast region teams that are not from the Columbus area.

SCOL Quick Recall

Postby ThePocketProtector » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:10 am

I thought I would share the results from the SCOL Quick Recall regular season and tournament. This was our first year playing on NAQT A sets. We had our growing pains but I believe almost everyone involved agrees it was worth it. We also had JV during the regular season for the first time. I do not have the final JV standings. Everyone plays everyone else in a double header with the JV playing at the same time.

1. Hillsboro 13 - 1
2. Chillicothe 11 - 3
3. Clinton Massie 10 - 4
4. East Clinton 8 - 6
5. Miami Trace 6 - 8
6. McClain 4 - 10
t7. Washington (Court House) 2 - 12
t7. Wilmington 2 - 12

Here are the results for the SCOL Quick Recall Tournament

1. Chillicothe 4 - 0
2. East Clinton 3 - 2 Winner of losers bracket
3. Hillsboro 3 - 2
4. Clinton Massie 2 - 2
t5. Miami Trace 1 - 2
t5. McClain 1 - 2
t7. Washington (Court House) 0 - 2
t7. Wilmington 0 - 2

I find it interesting that the top 4 teams for both events were the only teams that had tossup / bonus experience. It will be interesting to see if time or effort erases that advantage and how quickly that happens. It appears that Clinton-Massie and East Clinton are going to SSNCT. Chillicothe is going to HSNCT. Hillsboro is qualified for HSNCT but I haven’t heard if they are going yet.
Finally, I would like to say thank you to Greg Bossick and anyone else that helped the league with the transition.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Re: SCOL Quick Recall

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:32 am

So does Hillsboro have a great squad? Do they travel or have they been a powerhouse?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 am

They are pretty good. Their best player, Victoria, is senior and really good. I think they have really been practicing and working this year. They have a longer history of traveling than most schools in southern Ohio do. I know that they went to Northmont OAC this year and it wasn't their first time.

I think they are another school that is starting to embrace tossup / bonus and are trying to grow. I know they have some JV players that are pretty solid too.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:31 am

Have them come to Waverly or Serious next year.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:18 pm

I tried this year. You know me though, I am persistent. I think there will be more teams playing Saturday tournaments next year. The tide may be turning. Unioto is going to be at NAQT State and I am very excited about that.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Great!!!!
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:55 am

Do you know if this league will try and stay together if the SCOL athletic league disbands/reforms? I saw on Southeastern Ohio Preps that the non-Clinton County schools were looking to break away from the Clinton County schools when it came to athletics.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28 pm

The structure of our league means that we just won’t be able to stay together when the sports part of the league splits. I am going to encourage all parties to still play one another in Saturday tournaments (which shouldn’t surprize anyone.) I am hoping that at least two leagues will get coaches that are experienced with pyramidal questions and don’t want to go back to something else. The three Clinton County schools are in a good place from a quiz bowl standpoint. Clinton Massie has been to SSNCT three years in a row. East Clinton has been to SSNCT once and did the best any southern Ohio school has done at that event I think. Wilmington has a new coach that is passionate about the activity and they improved this year.

Right now I am just sitting back and waiting to see what happens. In theory we will be together for one more year but who knows. I will feel much better when I know what our future situation looks like and the rumor mill stops.

To borrow a line from my father, I’ll march where they tell me and until then I wait.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:36 pm

The rumor mill online has been that remaining five either a) going to pick up Jackson + Unioto and/or Waverly or b) expand northward into Pickaway County.

If the administrators and those that call the shots get Jackson into the fold then that could help with some QB promotion that way towards the river when (not if) the academic component of the sports league comes to fruition.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Return to Southern Ohio Quizbowl