2015 SSNCT Ohio entrants

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2015 SSNCT Ohio entrants

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

So far, registration is slower for this than HSNCT. 10 of 64 spots are filled.

Smithville is the only Ohio school in the field at the moment, but I'm sure that will change over the year...
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: 2015 SSNCT Ohio entrants

Postby QuizBoss » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 am

So, with a week or so to go until the second SSNCT kicks off, let's look at what we know:

The field has been reduced from a cap of 64 to 60. I've heard that they might be short on staff, but that's not confirmed.

Obviously, the big names in the field are Hallsville and Harmony. I expect them to go 1-2 again in either order. Glasgow is a good sleeper pick for the final, though, as they still have their top gun, Olivia...and anyone who can beat Brianna P. in literature can definitely corner the lit market in a match.

Ohio has 14 teams, making up nearly a quarter of the field. I expect that proportion to go up next season when this tournament is at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare and the tournament is within legitimate driving distance.

Predictions for the Ohio teams...

Ben Logan: they tried so hard last season to qualify on so many different occasions at my afterschool events. This year, they got their bid via the CBC league tournament and the Findlay tournament. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but they will win some games. 3-6.

Clinton-Massie: Stats are incomplete from the South Central Ohio League, which switched to NAQT this season. C-M finished second in the league but suffered an early exit in the tournament. They haven't played anything else to my knowledge. One thing going for them is that they were at this tournament last season, so they have some idea of the difficulty and reader speed. Still, 3-6.

East Clinton: The Astros are the other SCOL representative in the tournament. Unlike their archrival, they didn't go to Minneapolis last year, and I fear they are going to be floored when they face this field and these questions. 2-7.

East Palestine: The Mahoning Second Division Champions will either make the playoffs if their top player, Curtis, is there...or go 1-8 if he isn't.

Hicksville: I really wish they had played the Findlay tournament so we knew more about them. I'll be interested in seeing how they get on at OAC Regionals. I think, like Columbiana last season, they will be denied in the ninth round. 4-5.

Hubbard: This team is a bit like Warren Harding in the respect that they've improved a ton without a lot of help from me. They haven't played much since the Trumbull County tournament in January. Still, I expect them to make the playoffs. 6-3 on Saturday, 1-2 on Sunday.

Huntington: One of the qualifiers from the Waverly tournament, I think they'll find themselves in the same boat as East Clinton. 2-7.

Maplewood: Denied a bid last year in half-packet tiebreakers twice, they finally clinched a bit at LaBrae this season. A state cross-country champion captains this team, but I don't think they have the mental stamina to go the distance here. 4-5.

Newbury: They won the LaBrae tournament in a disadvantaged final against Maplewood. They've been to the tournament before, and I think this is an example of a coaching change that might have motivated players to get better. 5-4 Sat, 0-2 Sun.

Ottawa Hills: The former champions are strong, but rarely play. It's frustrating. They're good enough to make the playoffs and possibly a _deep_ run -- and they did make the playoffs last year, the only Ohio school to accomplish that other than South Range -- but they haven't done an IS set since Olmsted Falls, so the lack of experience will hold them back. 6-3 Sat, 1-2 Sun.

Piketon: Another Waverly qualifier that came to this tournament last year. That experience will help. They've played all the events they can that are in Southern Ohio, but haven't ventured even as "far" north as Columbus, so they haven't played any NAQT since Ironton. 2-7.

Smithville A: Now, here's a team that has both been to SSNCT before AND has played tournaments consistently throughout the year. They aren't going to win a national championship, but getting to the playoffs is definitely within reach. 5-4 Sat, 1-2 Sun.

Smithville B: A last-minute addition to the field, I hope they will enjoy their cameo appearance. 2-7.

Waverly: They went to the big school tournament last year and hosted this year. They will probably enjoy the experience more this year than in Chicago, but enjoyment doesn't equal wins. 3-6.

Obviously, records are going to be dependent on which of these teams are drawn to face each other. With six groups and 14 teams, it's fair to assume that there should be at least 2 Ohio schools in each group.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm upset Beachwood isn't going.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby QuizBoss » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Definitely. They would finish top 10 if they did. Ryan wanted to go to that other tournament happening that weekend instead, so whatevs.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:22 am

The draw is out. The groups are as follows:

Andarko, Central Clay, Fair Haven, HICKSVILLE, HUBBARD, Macomb, MAPLEWOOD, Milford, North Park, Pike County

Ashville, Camp Hill, Danville, EAST CLINTON, Geneva, Greenville Tech, Hallsville, Little Axe, North White, PIKETON

Athens, Baconton Charter, BASIS Scottsdale A, Cordova, EAST PALESTINE, Gainesville, HUNTINGTON, West Point B, Westmont Hilltop, White Cloud

BASIS Scottsdale B, CLINTON-MASSIE, Glasgow B, Happy Valley, Harmony Science, Muldrow, OTTAWA HILLS, Piasa Southwestern, Southern Fulton, West Point C

BEN LOGAN, Cooperstown, Good Hope, Itawamba Ag A, Lakeland, Lewisville, North Miami, Richland, Riverton, SMITHVILLE A

Dublin (GA), Glasgow A, Itawamba Ag B, Lionsgate, NEWBURY, Port Jefferson, SMITHVILLE B, WAVERLY, West Point A, Woodland
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Four schools made the playoffs: Hubbard (9-0), Maplewood (7-2, surprise!), Ottawa Hills and Ben Logan (5-4).

Five schools fell one game short: Hicksville, both Smithvilles, East Clinton, and Newbury.

Other schools: Clinton-Massie (3-6), Waverly (3-6), Piketon (2-7), Huntington (2-7), East Palestine (0-9).
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:08 am

Hubbard is still alive at SSNCT. Even if they lose to Baconton Charter next round, it will still be the highest finish for an Ohio team in the small school division (either the old way or the SSNCT era) since Beachwood went second-first-second in 2011-2012-2013.

Maplewood finished one round short of taking home a trophy, officially placing tied for 11th. They won a playoff game over Danville.

Ben Logan and Ottawa Hills went two and out; both finish tied for 25th.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts