Is anyone free on February 7th?

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Is anyone free on February 7th?

Postby dxdtdemon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:54 pm

If so, would you be willing to read at SCT? Given the locations that NAQT has chosen so far as SCT sites, a whole bunch of the Midwest is outside of normal tournament travelling range, and somewhere in Ohio is fairly central to the holes. The problem is, none of the existing Ohio collegiate quizbowl teams would have enough moderators who could read a reasonable number of questions in 20 minutes for the likely field size that an Ohio site could get. Remember that this is the same day as the tournament at Olmsted Falls, but I wasn't sure if there was anyone affiliated with a team that wasn't planning on going to that tournament that would be willing to read at an SCT site wherever it happens to be.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Re: Is anyone free on February 7th?

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:00 pm

I am working on this.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby Djones » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm

This is also the date of the History Bowl event at Northmont, which would impact our ability to help out.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I may be able to and maybe Tom Moore. Is this the SCT in Minneapolis?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby dxdtdemon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm

I think you are mixing up SCT (the college qualifier for ICT) and SSNCT (the small-school high school national tournament). I am talking about an SCT that will likely happen at Ohio State, Kenyon, Wright State, or Case Western Reserve, depending on who ends up finally deciding to host. Also, since I can't speak fast enough for timed quizbowl moderation, I volunteer to do the stats to free up Bossick since he can read fast enough. Also, I didn't mean to exclude your tournament, David, I had no idea it was happening. I hope that it goes well.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

I ran SCT last year at Case with the help of their club. I am working on this again, although the site may change. Last year, NAQT was ok with me running it on Sunday to avoid a staffing conflict with Olmsted Falls. This year, they want it on a Saturday. As previously stated, I am working on this.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:18 am

Greg let me know if you get enough readers. Keep us Columbus people in mind I may be able to sway Alex as well.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Bluejay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:43 pm

If it's close enough (which basically means anywhere but Cleveland and anywhere in Michigan for me, since I'm living in the Cincinnati area) I'll read. I got through all 24 tossups in all 15 rounds I read the last time OSU hosted SCT, so speed is no issue for me.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Postby QuizBoss » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 pm

I received a positive response from the room reservations people at Youngstown State today, and I hope that I can secure the help of a student organization to underwrite the cost of rooms soon. YSU doesn't have a quizbowl student organization yet, but I'm going back there in the spring for classes and I will help get that back up and running.

YSU and the Mahoning Valley have many good tournament staff that have come up through the ranks of the tournaments that have been held there in the past in addition to the Mahoning League itself; I'm confident that we would be able to successfully run SCT, and would hope to see all the teams that came to Case last year (and hope, of course, that Case itself would come to Youngstown).

This is not a knock against Case -- with NAQT wanting the tournament on a Saturday, I don't want to make Cleveland-area staffers choose between SCT and Olmsted Falls.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:59 am

This was confirmed yesterday. Youngstown State will host the 2015 Great Lakes Sectional. I will work on the announcement today and get it posted on the national forum and send emails out to the teams that attended last year.

I hope all of the active Ohio clubs will make the trip to Youngstown.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts