2015 NAQT State Championship

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2015 NAQT State Championship

Postby AlexConnor » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:06 pm

In the playoffs, Sidney eliminated Copley; Solon eliminated Sidney, then Northmont came from behind to beat Solon in the advantaged final. Congratulations to Coach Jones and Sam, Kara, Lauren, and Brandon on their record THIRD straight Ohio NAQT title.

I know we all joke about the inevitability of Northmont winning, but let's give credit to the teams that played them very well together and credit to Northmont being able to win by dominating AND by coming from behind. Northmont's win over Copley in Round 10 featured Northmont needing the last seven tossups to win...and getting them.

Thank you to all my readers and thanks to all the teams for coming to St. Charles again for this event. Good luck to all of you at OAC Regionals, and we look forward to hosting OAC States in a few weeks!

Greg Bossick will be uploading the stats at some point in the next couple days.
Alex Connor
Coach, St. Charles Preparatory
AlexConnor
Rookie

Re: 2015 NAQT State Championship

Postby QuizBoss » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:33 pm

I've finished the category stats and am through Round 2 of the SQBS file. I'm calling it a night for now. I'll have everything done tomorrow.

Category top 3...

Lit: Northmont A, Sidney, Copley A
Science: Copley A, Solon A, St. Charles A/Fisher Catholic
History: Northmont A, Sidney/Fisher Catholic
Fine Arts: Sidney, Solon A, Northmont A
Geog: Tipp, Beachwood, Solon A
CE: Sidney, Northmont A, Copley B
Trash (PC/Sports): Olmsted Falls, St. Charles A/Solon A
Social Sciences: Northmont A, Olentangy Liberty B/Olmsted Falls
Theo/Myth/Phil: Dublin Scioto, Northmont B, Tipp
Miscellaneous/Mixed: Fisher Catholic, Solon B/St. Charles B
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Final order of finish

1. Northmont A, 12-0
2. Solon A, 11-2
3. Sidney, 10-2
4. Copley A, 9-2
--------------
5. Tippecanoe, 7-3
6. Fisher Catholic, 6-4 and 371 ppg
7. Beachwood, 6-4 and 312.5 ppg
8. Solon B, 6-4 and 230.5 ppg
9. Dublin Scioto, 4-6 and 273.5 ppg
10. Olmsted Falls, 4-6 and 234.5 ppg
11. Olentangy Liberty A, 4-6 and 216 ppg
12. St. Charles A, 3-7
--------------
13. Dublin Jerome, 6-4 and 268.5 ppg
14. St. Charles B, 6-4 and 233.5 ppg
15. Olentangy Liberty B, 4-6 and 220 ppg
16. Warren G. Harding, 4-6 and 177.5 ppg
17. Smithville A, 2-8 and 145 ppg
18. Chillicothe, 2-8 and 113 ppg
--------------
19. Cloverleaf A, 6-4
20. Northmont B, 4-6
21. Copley B, 3-7 and 126.5 ppg
22. Cloverleaf B, 3-7 and 109 ppg
23. Olentangy Liberty C, 2-8
24. Smithville B, 0-10
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 pm

QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:11 am

I want to give a shoutout to Joe and the team at Tipp. I wasn't all that impressed with them earlier this year but 7-3 in a pretty stacked field, including playing Copley decently close and putting up some pretty high scores is awesome.

Congratulations to Northmont - its a feat that might never be matched again. Let's see if they can become the first back-to-back-to-back OAC state champions ever in a few weeks.

I'm looking forward to getting back into coaching in the future - I miss the social aspect of it and being around a lot of great people more than anything else. I'm nervous about it but we'll see if we can put together a competitive program over here.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Djones » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks Alex and Bob for your kind words. Despite our great season we were very inconsistent at the start of 2015. The adversity probably made us a better team, as we learned how to dig ourselves out of a hole if we needed to, which we needed to do against both Copley and Solon at state. We did the same thing against Auburn and DCC down in Texas, so we knew that good teams could be beaten at the end. Losing a couple matches to Ohio teams (Solon twice and then Fisher at History Bowl) definitely helped me keep them sharp and focused on the goal. While Sam was dominant as usual and the contributions of the other three look minimal in comparison, I was very pleased to see Lauren get the question to break the 300 tie with Copley and see Kara add some powers in key places. While we wont be the best team in the state in 2015, I think we will be better than some people might predict.

I definitely want to echo what was said about Tipp. They have developed into a very good team. Laurel is rounding into the player I had a feeling she would be when she gave Sam and Tori a run at history bowl as a freshman. Throw in Kase and Alisha as solid compliments and Tipp will be a force to be reckoned with next year, if not this year.

Thanks as always to St. Charles for hosting and to Greg for running a smooth tournament. Things went very well as usual. Lets do it again in three weeks!
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts