Fall OAC Regional Qualifier Event

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Fall OAC Regional Qualifier Event

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:18 am

I'm working to lock down the building availability here, but I'm hoping to host an OAC event (actual name TBD) in early October, probably October 3rd or 10th here at North with the intention of qualifying a bunch of teams for OAC regionals (as well as serving as a fundraiser for our newly-formed team).

My goal is to have 6-team brackets, qualify how ever many teams in the morning and then rebracket into 6's to qualify some more teams in the afternoon. If I could pull 30 or 36 teams, I'd be ecstatic.

I will hand-write the set with the help of whoever wants to contribute, which usually ends up being a good group of writers like Mike Bindis, Tom Moore, etc.

The cost structure will be something like $70 first team/$60 add'l teams/$5 buzzer discount.

I will post a full announcement once I have everything squared away and set in stone, but the team is definitely going forward once I sort through the mound of paperwork in front of me. Our academic boosters gave me $2000 as start up funds and since I'm not planning on taking any overnight trips or going to nationals next year, that should be plenty to cover the season.

I'm both excited and nervous about the opportunity. I'm glad to get back into it though for sure.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: Fall OAC Regional Qualifier Event

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:23 am

Additionally, the set will be available to be mirrored in different parts of the state if anyone is interested. I will keep the cost low for mirror fees and waive the mirror fee for anyone who helps write the set.
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 am

BobKilner wrote:My goal is to have 6-team brackets, qualify how ever many teams in the morning and then rebracket into 6's to qualify some more teams in the afternoon. If I could pull 30 or 36 teams, I'd be ecstatic.

The afternoon brackets would not be OAC qualifiers because they are not initial bracketings of 6 teams.
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 am

Is there a way to make those qualifying or not?
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:37 am

BobKilner wrote:Is there a way to make those qualifying or not?

As far as I know, there is not. I know David has in the past taken the top 8 teams that had not qualified and were eliminated from playing for the championship play a single elimination tournament that was deemed as separate from the already ongoing tournament as a go around but I don't know about any way to do it via round robin bracketing...
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:23 am

Well now the higher administration is holding it up because there's no supplemental written into the contract and the union is having a fit. I'm waiting to push through that.

That said, I think I'm just going to aim for 24-36 teams, brackets of 6. Qualify the winners of the bracket and play them off for a trophy or something.

It'll work out, I'm not too worried about it - if it ends up replacing FKT, it'll be the first chance any teams have to qualify so I won't have to have an "already qualified" bracket.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Djones » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 am

gbdriver80 wrote:
BobKilner wrote:Is there a way to make those qualifying or not?

As far as I know, there is not. I know David has in the past taken the top 8 teams that had not qualified and were eliminated from playing for the championship play a single elimination tournament that was deemed as separate from the already ongoing tournament as a go around but I don't know about any way to do it via round robin bracketing...

Even that was deemed to not count anymore, since that is what happened at the Little Miami event last year that caused so much drama. I stopped doing it as a qualifier when the committee said it didn't count.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 am

Then I might just make it a quick 5-round qualifying event and then play the winners off for small plaques or trophies or something. I will crank out an OAC set with pyramidal tossups and lightning round questions similar to regionals/states but on a much easier scale for being early in the season.

That's the goal at least.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby AlexConnor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:07 pm

I'd be curious to hear the committee's take on this, but I think the afternoon brackets could be eligible for qualification if it was a completely different event, and the afternoon brackets were not sorted by morning performance.

On the other hand, 10 rounds is a LOT of rounds for OAC format. That would be like 13-15 rounds of TU/B in terms of duration
Alex Connor
Coach, St. Charles Preparatory
AlexConnor
Rookie

Postby BobKilner » Fri May 08, 2015 12:16 pm

I put the building request for 18 classrooms and our commons/speech room today, hopefully it gets approved before summer break so I can at least get an email out and a tournament posting up.

My plan I think is to have six 6-team brackets to qualify 6 teams to regionals, then put everybody in pods of 4 after lunch to guarantee everybody 8 games. The top team in the first two pods would then play 1 game for a 'championship.' Its not ideal but being OAC, I don't want to rebracket and try to fit in 10 games for every team. My goal is to play the 5 round robin games, have an open lunch where teams can go out for an hour and get food (places are plentiful) and then come back and play the last 3 rounds plus championship game.

With Greg's help and a few contacts I have, I'm hoping to find some mirrors around Ohio to help qualify more teams. The mirror fee will be low.

Also probably will be looking for collaborators on the set. I'm thinking it will be 10 rounds of normal OAC with pyramidal tossups and lightning round questions.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts