2015 HSNCT Ohio entrants

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2015 HSNCT Ohio entrants

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm

The HSNCT field is over 25% full already (74 of 256). Here are the Ohio teams registered so far:

Ashland*
Northmont
Sidney
Solon
Tippecanoe A
Tippecanoe B
University School*

* = first-time participants
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: 2015 HSNCT Ohio entrants

Postby Bluejay » Thu May 14, 2015 11:35 pm

So with a few weeks before HSNCT (and I'll be in attendance again, finally!), it appears the field is as follows for Ohio teams:

Ashland
Austintown Fitch
Boardman
Fisher Catholic
Grand River
Lowellville
Maumee Valley
Northmont
Olentangy Liberty A
Olentangy Liberty B
Olmsted Falls
Sidney
Solon A
Solon B
Tippecanoe A
Tippecanoe B
University School
Warren Harding
Westlake

With Canfield B on the waitlist despite there not being a Canfield A anywhere on the field list (???).

Not including the waitlist, that's 19 teams that are attending, which is awesome. Even more awesome are all the new faces on this list.

Anyone want to make predictions?
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Postby Get Lynned » Fri May 15, 2015 4:09 am

Ashland will hopefully enjoy the tournament and have a very impressionable experience that will encourage them to do more quiz bowl activities in the future. 4-6

Austintown Fitch will... well I don't know because the only thing I know about that school is that Maurice Clarett originally went to HS there. They're also really good at football and have a fun school name. ?-?

Boardman - I don't know much about this school, but one of their players hit me with a twitter follow and they actually appear to be a team that can fly under the radar. 6-4

I have no idea how the green shirts will do. They'll really have to dominate at social studies like they should if they want any chance of making da playoffs. Should be a very good and valuable experience for not only Hunter, but also fellow sophomore Brock Conrad, a player with the potential to be a strong complement to Hunter but hasn't played much due to being a starter for both football and baseball. 7-3 but probably 6-4

Grand River will venture to the Iowa/Illinois State line instead to prove they - not the mighty Miss - are the grandest River of them all! 4-6

Lowellville 4-6

Maumee Valley made playoffs two years ago through the 3-4 route, so anything is possible.

Northmont 9-1 best, 7-3 at worst

Liberty A 6-4

Liberty B 5-5 or 4-6

Olmsted 6-4

Sidney 7-3

Solon a 8-2 best / 7-3 worst

Solon b 6-4/5-5

Tipp A 7-3/6-4

Tipp B 4-6/3-7 (I guess this is assuming Tipp A is stacked with the best players they have)

University School - John C McGinley (of Scrubs fame) had a nephew who went here. 5-5

Warren G Homage will at best go 6-4 at worst go 5-5 but will always be go 10-0 in HSNCT's sub tournament of notable alumni

Westlake 6-4 - they evidently are boss at geo
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Fri May 15, 2015 10:00 am

University School - John C McGinley (of Scrubs fame) had a nephew who went here. 5-5

Jason Garrett also went there.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby QuizBoss » Fri May 15, 2015 11:05 am

Let's hope Grand River shows up.

I hope Boardman can crack the 3-7 Mahoning Mendoza line. I don't hold out much chance of Fitch doing it. Lowellville could, if their science player (I use that term loosely) shows up.

Canfield (A) had been in the field after being promoted from the waitlist, then withdrew. I have no idea what's going on with a B team on that list when the A team has already bailed.

Westlake is boss at geo, and that's going to net them one result on Saturday that's going to make people wonder where _that_ came from.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby Bluejay » Fri May 15, 2015 1:15 pm

I think this will be the last time I try to make predictions, especially since I'm leaving Ohio soon. Let's see how terrible I am!

Will Make the Playoffs
Most of these teams will go 7-3 or better, and could make a deep playoff run.

-Northmont hasn't finished better than 21st since 2011, when Sam was on the B team. I think they'll do better than that this time around, but they're still living or dying on Sam's performance, which can be good or bad.
-Solon A will have their best shot yet at making their highest finish since I was around.
-If Sidney misses the playoffs again, I'd be really, really shocked.
-Fisher Catholic
-Tippecanoe A

Could Make the Playoffs
Teams that I don't think are locks for the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it either.

-Solon B
-Olentangy Liberty A
-Boardman
-Westlake

Probably Won't Make Playoffs
Teams whose upper ceiling is likely going 5-5.

-Olmsted Falls
-Olentangy Liberty B
-I'm placing Ashland here, guessing that their ability to break 20 PPB on an A-set is indicative of their potential.
-Warren Harding
-University School

Won't Make the Playoffs
I do hope these teams enjoy their trip to Chicago, however!

-Tippecanoe B
-Lowellville
-Austintown Fitch
-Grand River

No Idea
Teams I can't make a prediction for due to lack of stats or information.

-Maumee Valley
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Postby BobKilner » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Good luck to all of you heading to nationals over the next few weeks. Do some damage and bring home some hardware!
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts