Collegiate Quiz Bowl

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Collegiate Quiz Bowl

Postby ThePocketProtector » Fri May 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Are there any active collegiate quiz bowl teams in Ohio south of I70? I know Wright State fits that description. I know I have seen the forum posts about Cedarville possibly starting a team. Do any of them have a tradition of quiz bowl even if they aren't currently active?
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Re: Collegiate Quiz Bowl

Postby Bluejay » Fri May 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Unfortunately, the only two active collegiate teams in Ohio that are in the southern half of Ohio are Ohio State and Wright State. Cedarville did attend the most recent ACF Fall, but I'm not sure about the status of their club. As far as any other names go, Miami used to have a team when I was playing, but they kinda disappeared around 2013, so I'm not sure if a team still exists there.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Postby dxdtdemon » Sat May 23, 2015 2:32 am

Wilberforce and Central State participate in some non-pyramidal CBI-style tournaments that Honda sponsors for HBCUs. The University of Cincinnati is famous for always having a team that is about to be formed, but either never gets around to actually doing it or plays one tournament and then folds. Ohio and Michigan had the most active CBI teams in the CBI era, but when that folded six years ago, very few transitioned over to other formats, but Ohio University supposedly still runs some kind of intramural tournament even though they don't compete against anyone.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Postby ThePocketProtector » Sun May 24, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you gentlemen for the information. I wish I could say I was surprised by the state of collegiate quiz bowl in southern Ohio. What you both had to say confirmed what I suspected.

It seems like if a university does not have a firm tradition it is very easy for a team to evaporate in the space of a year.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby dxdtdemon » Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Pretty much anywhere that isn't Chicago or Maryland has had some inactive or close to inactive period in their team's history. The lack of faculty involvement at most institutions means that there has to be a continuous stream of really involved players. And even when you have the really involved players, other circumstances intervene. For example, when I was at Ohio State, the team pretty much fell apart my freshman year. It took over two years of practices just to get four people to show up regularly again.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Return to Old/Outdated Posts