2015-2016 Predictions

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2015-2016 Predictions

Postby ppadmanabhan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Got any?
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Re: 2015-2016 Predictions

Postby BobKilner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I didn't get out as much last year as I would have liked, but I expect Solon to be the team to beat in northeast Ohio, with Copley always a strong contender and even the post-Sam Northmont team will be strong as well. I'm not sure what Tipp returns, but if their stronger players were underclassmen, they will be solid. Sidney returns Nour (not sure if anyone else is back) and not sure about Liberty and St. Charles either, their advisors can chime in on that one.

You would know more about the Mahoning-Trumbull areas than anyone on this board not named Greg, so you could give us your thoughts on that area.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby ppadmanabhan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Regarding Mahoning County, defending league champions Boardman graduate 3 starting seniors, including our team captain, but we did have 2 players (including myself) attend ACE camp and both of us are doing some studying over the summer. I think our two biggest competitors in the league will be Canfield (if they sub wisely) and Lowellville, which still retains George Huncik. Sebring and East Palestine both graduate the bulk of their scoring in George Clark and Curtis Myers. South Range also had a good first year for a new coach.

Hubbard in Trumbull County had an impressive season, finishing 5th at SSNCT, especially for not playing much. They retain at least 3 starters and could be pretty good.

My early bet for state champion is on Solon. Rohin is probably the best player in the state now and he has a pretty good supporting cast.

I met some players from Dublin Scioto and Olentangy Liberty at camp and they were eager to improve, as well. I don't know enough about any other teams to comment.

Looking forward to the upcoming season!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby Bluejay » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:44 pm

I don't feel very informed anymore (me living outside of Ohio for the first time in like 8 years is certainly part of it), but here are a few thoughts of mine:

-Solon returns their core of a team that went t-5th at HSNCT and 16th at NSC. They'll be far and away the best team in the state; I don't see anyone improving quickly enough to catch up to them at this point.
-It's difficult to assess how good Northmont is since I'm sure the shadow effect Sam had was huge, but effort is being put in and from what I hear, their players did well at ACE camp so they'll be in the mix.
-Sidney will still have NourEddine Hijazi and Aaron Jensen, so they'll still do well.
-Tippecanoe returns at least Laurel Spangler. The WC region looks to be a race among them, Northmont, and Sidney.
-Copley always has a good team. Losing Sayeef hurts, though.
-Olentangy Liberty burst onto the scene last year and can definitely make some noise and improve on last year's results.
-Dublin Scioto still has Koh Yamakawa, and hopefully they'll actually attend a national tournament this year.
-Fisher Catholic will fall off from last year, but Hunter Wotruba had double digit powers at both nationals and is a junior this year.
-I hope Westlake attends more tournaments this year. They definitely have potential, although I don't remember if anyone on the HSNCT team returns or not.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Postby Nour Hijazi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:48 pm

To somewhat echo Jasper:

I agree that with effort, Northmont will certainly be successful and definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

As far as Sidney goes, our attempt at filling the gaps in knowledge, namely science and Fine Arts, will include moving the Mitchell twins up to the A team. Expect a similar finish on the state level for us.

With a complement to Laurel's history knowledge, Tipp will enjoy success this season.

After having played Fisher several times last season, I can say with the utmost confidence that Hunter Wotruba will fit nicely on Fisher's team as a decent generalist, albeit with some branching out into other areas of humanities. Though I shouldn't be quoted on this, I believe Jill does have some knowledge of literature, which will give Hunter some assistance.
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
Nour Hijazi
Rookie

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Solon is the obvious favorite.

Liberty will have a relatively solid squad.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby rdfromsolon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Some of my thoughts:

Top 3 Teams -

Solon - We return 80-90% of our scoring from last year, but unfortunately both me and John have not been studying this summer, despite having some holes, particularly Current Events, Music, and Social Science, due to the departure of Aakash and Aniketh. From the deep, deep depths of Solon B will come Daniel Guo, who is a pretty solid Fine Arts player, and Jeffrey Yang, who is studying poetry.

Sidney - Despite losing Jack (and Mr. Czupryn), Sidney returns Nour, who is a top-2 lit player in the state, and Aaron, who is very solid at history and NAQT stuff. If they can fill the Fine Arts hole Jack left and continue working on science, they could return even stronger than last year.

Tippecanoe - I believe Tipp return everyone from a 5th place finish at NAQT states. Assuming Laurel and co. have been studying this summer, they should be a very solid team in the state and nationally.

Other Teams -

Dublin Scioto - Koh returns, so Scioto are instant contenders. I heard that he won the First Night Tournament at ACE Camp over DCC A kids.

Copley - Despite losing Saajid's brother, if Kevin plays this year, the Cops are a top 4-5 team. Even without Kevin, #indiannation will still field a solid team, led by the Varley bros.

Boardman - Lose some players, but they seem pretty eager to improve, so I would expect them to be a strong Mahoning County team.

Olentangy Liberty - Another team that looks pretty eager to improve and I believe returns everyone from their top team. I could see Liberty being a top 5 team by the years end.

St. Charles - Stephen graduates, but St. Charles returns Carrick and Riley. Will be a solid central Ohio team.

Northmont: Despite losing arguable the greatest player in Ohio history, I also expect Northmont to remain a very competitive team in Ohio. I also think they return everyone but Sam from PACE/HSNCT.

Hubbard - If Hubbard return at least 3 players from last year, they could contend for the SSNCT title.

EDIT: Didn't realize Boardman lost 3 seniors
Rohin Devanathan
Solon High School '16
UC Berkeley '20
rdfromsolon
Rookie

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 am

Top 5(not in order)

Copley
Scioto
Sidney
Solon
Tipp

6-10(not in order)

Boardman
Northmont
Olentangy Liberty
St. Charles
Westlake

11-15(not in order)

Beachwood
Fisher
Hubbard
Maumee Valley
Olmsted Falls
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Baisang » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Yeah, based on just who is leaving/graduating and results from last season, Solon is the definite favorite for the state championship. Hopefully players like Daniel and Jeffrey will be able to fill in the shoes for Aniketh and Aakash. Rohin and John have proven themselves to be good players, but there's always a little bit of a senior slump (especially second semester) that creeps in. Readings packets is like breathing for a lot of these guys though so once schedules start aligning again I'm sure they'll just Skype-bowl their way back into form.

I said this last year and I'll say it again, Tipp is a rising force in Ohio quizbowl. Lots of improvement in the past few years. I hope they get even better this year and that this surge doesn't go away with graduations.

From the "old" guard, I expect Sidney, Dublin Scioto, Copley, and Northmont to play well. Lots of good veteran players and solid coaching going for them, with extensive tournament experience.

I'm a year out of the loop, so can't comment on much else.
Brian Sang
Solon High School '14
University of California, Berkeley '18
Baisang

Return to Old/Outdated Posts