2015-2016 events? "New" moderator questions

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2015-2016 events? "New" moderator questions

Postby ryan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 am

Hello all! I'm still pretty new as a moderator in the Academic Challenge/Quizbowl circuit even after a year or two of helping organize a team and I'm looking to get deeper in this year. The biggest problem is I have no experience from high school with this type of group and I have had very little assistance from those here who have any experience. Hopefully someone can help me - I am always having trouble finding out about events being run in NE Ohio, especially near Cleveland, and I wanted to know is there some place where I can find that list for this upcoming year? My students keep asking me for more and I don't know what to tell them since the few I found last year were an hour or more away and traveling with them is not necessarily an easy thing to arrange. In addition I am always unclear on what events my students can participate in - there appears to be some rules regarding question sets and at times events are listed with additional items attached to their names and I am unclear what the differences actually are, if there are any! Thanks for entertaining my ignorance and getting me some info to help out. I have some fantastic young men interested and would love to let them showcase their skills at more events, I just need help finding them! Thanks again.

Robert Ryan
Benedictine High School Academic Challenge moderator
ryan

Re: 2015-2016 events? "New" moderator questions

Postby trbenedict » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Robert,

First of all, welcome to the fold! I played quiz bowl in high school, but last year was my first run as a coach, so I'll try to jump in and answer your query. First of all, when it comes to finding events, I usually go to the "tournament announcements" subforum on this board and look either for specific posts about tournaments near me OR troll the "date claims" thread (kind of a master list of what's going on). You're in luck being in the NE region, since both Solon HS and Copley HS are less than an hour away from you and they host multiple events throughout the year (Solon is having its Fall Tournament on Oct. 10, for example, and it looks like there's still space in the field). Olmsted Falls has also hosted events in the past. As far as question sets, I wouldn't sweat that stuff. Two events that are near each other should really never use the same questions (for example, Solon wouldn't host a tournament on a set that Copley had done three weeks earlier). I hope this is helpful---good luck to you and your students this year!

P.S. Semantic point: in quiz bowl parlance, a "moderator" is sort of the same as a reader---namely, the person who reads the questions and handles any in-game issues. It sounds like you're serving as a coach or advisor for your team. Many coaches are also moderators/readers at some tournaments, though!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi, Robert --

Welcome to the activity!

The first thing I would recommend is getting your boys to the tournament at Solon on October 10. See the thread under tournament announcements for more details.

Secondly, the NAQT tournament list on their website has a feature that allows you to narrow the list to events that are within a certain radius of your zip code.

Another place to find tournaments that don't use NAQT questions is hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/search.

Last, if you'd like to try to host a small tournament on a weekday after school, let me know. I'd be happy to come up and run one.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:11 pm

I'll chime in here to heartily invite Benedictine to our 10/10 tournament! http://ohioqbforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=188 Here is the forum post with info. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

The other source for the tournament calendar is on the Ohio Academic Competition Website: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacademiccompetition/events-schedule I believe what you're referring to is how the tournaments are labelled as [IS 148] or [OAC] or something like that. Anything with an "IS" or "HSNCT" or "MSNCT" is an NAQT question set that runs strictly on a Tossup/Bonus format. The OAC sets use a different format: team questions, a worksheet round, and tossups with conferral. The sets that have unique names, like [CALI] etc, are housewritten tournaments produced by a high school or college team, usually in Tossup/Bonus format.

Good luck!
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 pm

crbirdx1
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts