South Range Academic Challenge, October 30

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

South Range Academic Challenge, October 30

Postby QuizBoss » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:23 pm

16 teams participated. For the prelims, I decided to use the format laid out in the currently defunct plan for a 16 team OAC State tournament; 5 modified Swiss paired rounds, followed by a championship group of 8 split into subgroups of 4, followed by a Page Playoff finals. The bottom 8 teams played a NAQT-style consolation tournament.

After the first five rounds, the field looked like this:

Championship Group 1: Boardman (5-0), Westlake A (3-2), Lowellville (3-2), Fitch B (3-2)
Championship Group 2: Hubbard (4-1), Beachwood (4-1), Boardman B (3-2), Westlake B (3-2)
Consolation teams: Brookfield, Salem B, Fitch A, Mineral Ridge, Salem A, Jackson-Milton, South Range, Westlake C.

After the next three rounds, we had this --

CG1: Westlake A (6-2, 3-0); Boardman A (6-2, 1-2); Lowellville (5-3, 2-1); Fitch B (3-5, 0-3)
CG2: Hubbard (6-2, 2-1); Westlake B (5-3, 2-1); Beachwood (5-3, 1-2); Boardman B (4-4, 1-2)

9. Brookfield
10. Fitch A
11. South Range
12. Salem A
13. Westlake C
14. Mineral Ridge
15. Jackson-Milton
16. Salem B

Westlake A took on Hubbard in the major seminfinal while Boardman A faced Westlake B in the minor semifinal. Westlake A won their game, earning a bye to the overall final. Boardman A eliminated Westlake B, who finished in fourth place. Boardman A then defeated Hubbard 295-95, setting up an overall final against Westlake A. They had split a pair of earlier games, but Westlake A had the advantage going into the final. They made good use of it, winning 370-135.

This was a good set. I imagine the Morlan adjustment on it is going to slightly positive, as the bonus conversion numbers for the top 4 averaged slightly under 15. Full stats will be posted soon, I hope; one room didn't return scoresheets in the consolation bracket, and I'm in contact with the reader to see if he still has them.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts