Winter War Invitational 5 1/30/16 @OSU

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Winter War Invitational 5 1/30/16 @OSU

Postby AllisonSalach » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:39 am

The Ohio State University Academic Team would like to invite you and your teams to a quizbowl tournament to be held at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio on January 30th, 2016, dubbed “Winter War Invitational 5.” We will be running a mirror of Maryland Fall, and this tournament will be directed by Allison Salach.

We want to attract mostly Columbus-area and central-Ohio teams to this tournament and will give precedence to schools in the central-Ohio area (loosely defined as within a 100-mi radius of Columbus). There is a tentative cap of 16 teams. To allow for time to create a tournament format, however, we ask that you register by Friday, January 22nd.

The format will be determined based on the final field size, but teams will be grouped into preliminary brackets in the morning before breaking for lunch, after which teams will be re-bracketed based on morning performance for playoffs.

Lunch: High Street, located directly east of campus, has many fast food options including McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Subway, Penn Station, Panda Express, Cane’s, and much more.

Costs & Discounts:
First team: $70
More teams: $50 each
Buzzer discount: -$10 per buzzer, limit equal to number of teams you are bringing
Experienced Moderator discount: -$10
Travel discount: -$5 per hundred miles traveled

Payment: The best way to pay is by check or cash on the morning of the tournament. Checks should be made out to the Academic Team at Ohio State University. We can work out other forms of payment if necessary.

Registration: To register, just email ohiostatequizbowl[at]gmail[dot]com. Please supply information on the amount of teams, buzzers and moderators as soon as you can.

Hope to see you in Columbus! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at ohiostatequizbowl[at]gmail[dot]com.
Last edited by AllisonSalach on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllisonSalach

Re: Winter War Invitational 5 1/30/16 @OSU

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 am

Allison,

First off, it's good to see that OSU is hosting stuff for this year.

I'm unsure, and I think coaches and other interested parties to quizbowl in the Buckeye State feel the same way, about what the situation is with the club at Ohio State. When Jarret Greene and Jasper Lee led the organization, you guys did a pretty good job of announcing tournaments well ahead of time, how many you guys planned on hosting, etc. It seems like when Brittany led the club last year you guys did a decent job of doing that as well (is she still there?).

I'm not here to put you guys on blast, but this year it seems like a lot of that communication and organization fell by the wayside. So I have several questions/comments.

1)Who is in charge of the club at OSU now?

2) You need to clearly state who the tournament director is (who is the tournament director? Legitimate question: it's not stated). If someone emails that address you posted, they probably aren't going to know who they're talking to (which is nice to know!)

3) Who all is in your club now? Who are the people those of us in the community should acquaint ourselves? Not saying we need to know who every single person is, but we all knew who Joe Wells, Jarret, Jasper, Max Bucher among others were when they were there. Familiarity breeds trust.

4) FYI - this is the third tournament happening in Ohio that date. And to head off what I think will be your guys' response to this - this may have been the traditional date for previous Winter Wars, but Jarret and that group always tried to iron that out as early as possible and that worked well for everyone. Last year I know OSU - I believe it was Brittany - posted the dates well in advance last year. This year, I think its fair to say because OSU didn't communicate what was going on, 1/30 became fair game. There is a finite number of usable dates, so yes some conflicts are unavoidable, but the calendar is posted well in advance; this board lists all the tournaments that are going on and coaches/event organizers go out of their way to get that published as soon as possible.

5) This has basically been an elephant in the room for some time now: what role does OSU's team want to serve in the community? Do they want to host several quality tournaments a year and help grow the game, or are they just going to put on (expensive) tournaments and perpetuate some of the poor practices former iterations of the club did? OSU's team could serve as an catalyst in growing the game in Central Ohio, and yeah there's all this talk about "we want to attract Central Ohio teams" but that's definitely not enough. Figuring out how to materialize that would be a step in the right direction (one I'm willing to work with you guys on).
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby AllisonSalach » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm sorry for the lateness of the tournament announcement, as well as the delay in responding to your very valid concerns. Unfortunately, the passage of power from this year to last year was somewhat abrupt, with Taylor graduating and Brittany leaving the club last winter for personal reasons. As a result, we (the new leadership, consisting of myself (treasurer) Garrick Bryan (President) and Evan Gutter (VP)) were unaware of exactly what went into planning a tournament and had to figure out what we were doing as we went along. Unfortunately, our inexperience lead to the lack of communication and coordination earlier this year. I realize all this reflects very poorly on Ohio State, and makes us look extremely unprofessional. I apologize once again, and I hope that we will be able to overcome our initial stumble.
AllisonSalach

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:02 am

Which building will we be in?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Field

Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow
Dublin Jerome
Pickerington North