Solon Fall Tournament Results - 10/8/16

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Solon Fall Tournament Results - 10/8/16

Postby BobKilner » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:17 pm

I'll let Peter post full details, but when I left I think Copley A (9-1) and Miami Valley School (10-0) were going to play a playoff for the championship.

Our record stunk today playing without our #1 but my kids had a good time and will work to get better and that's what I care about.

That said - some observations:

Although there are some great players in the class of 2017 -- Nour, Kara and Kevin being right up there... the strength of the state are the classes of 2019 and 2020. No offense to Clark who apparently is absolutely dynamite (I haven't had the privilege of being at a tournament with them in the past couple years). I read for Boardman twice, Miami Valley twice, Beavercreek twice and a couple of really young teams (Wooster A comes to mind minus their senior captain) and there are some mighty good players coming up that will continue to get better. Between Prnav, the Grogers, Hari and Tommy Varley (who wasn't there today), let alone a few others... I hope NASAT continues to be a thing because we will be able to field a very, very strong team for the next couple years if they all participate. The battles some of these teams are going to have are going to be awesome to watch.

Sorry for the rambling post above. It was great to see all of the quizbowl 'dignitaries' today. Hope to see everyone at various tournaments throughout the year. Good luck to all teams.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: Solon Fall Tournament Results - 10/8/16

Postby ppadmanabhan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Thank you for the kind words. We certainly had a great time and were pretty proud of our finish, considering we were missing our 2nd and 3rd scorers and played 3 sophomores. Our games against Miami Valley, Northmont, and Cloverleaf were particularly close and enjoyable. I was very impressed with the Grogers, if they continue to improve and get a little more help, they will be a real contender for the state title for the next 4 years. Westlake has also been underrated, I didn't realize that Alex and Kyle were both underclassmen last year and their strengths complement each other well.

Mr. Bergman and Solon ran a great tournament as usual. Looking forward to meeting these teams again and getting a chance to play some of the other top Ohio teams.
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby pbergman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:26 am

Miami Valley defeated Copley A 350-260 in the final to win the Solon Fall Tournament. As Bob said, there was a strong mix of expected upper-classmen strength and dedicated younger talent. It was also exciting to see teams like Westlake and Aurora come in and make a splash, in addition to Shaker Heights and Brunswick. Only one team - Miami Valley - cracked 400 ppg in the afternoon, suggesting a strong top 12. We'll post a link here to stats once we get them fully revised and cleaned up.

Thanks very much to all who came out!

Top 12
1 Miami Valley 11-0
2 Copley A 10-2
3 Sidney 9-2
3 Westlake 8-2
5 Beavercreek 8-2
5 Boardman 8-2
7 Aurora 6-4
7 Northmont 5-5
9 Cloverleaf 5-5
9 Brush 4-6
11 Shaker Hts A 3-7
11 Brunswick 3-7

OAC Spots: Sidney, Miami Valley, Beavercreek, Boardman
Probable HSNCT Spots: MV, Copley, Sidney, Westlake, Beavercreek, Boardman
Probable SSNCT Spot: Ben Logan

Top Scorers in Prelims:
1 Hari/Beavercreek
2 Pranav/Boardman
3 Kara/Northmont
4 Nour/Sidney
5 Kevin/Copley
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Full stats are up: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3803/

They should be pretty accurate. We had some incomplete information on games played/substitutions, but we did the best we could with what we had.

edit: fixed link
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:39 am

Pleasant surprise, in a good way, that the two highest PPB's after ten games of play were posted by Westlake and Aurora as opposed to some of the more "seasoned" and well-traveled programs. Hopefully we can see them make a few trips down I-71 for events in the future.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:01 am

It looks like there are 2 prelim games that got mixed up...

Shaker Heights B v Copley B (not same group)
North A v University School A (ditto)
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:07 am

When I have time I'll go back and rectify that. North and Copley B switched divisions before the tournament and I failed to switch it on SQBS. They were placed in the correct consolation divisions: North took 4th in Queequeg and so went to 1st Consolation, and Copley B took 5th in Ishmael, and so went to 2nd Consolation. All their matches are correct; they just need to be flip-flopped by division.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:18 am

I fixed the divisions. Thanks, Greg; it had the added benefit of confirming that all 4 prelim divisions were clean!
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 am

Yeah I think the results paper on the wall showed my kids as 1-4 in the morning when they were 2-3. I could care less but they were making a fuss about it.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts