2016 NAQT States Preview

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2016 NAQT States Preview

Postby ppadmanabhan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:54 pm

T-2 days! I'm glad to have had the chance to play a lot of great teams this year and be more active in the Ohio circuit. Some observations from this season based on my experiences:

Top 6:

Solon - We never played their actual A team this season, but obviously they're good. Barring any major upsets, they should win.

Northmont/Sidney/Tippecanoe - Northmont beat us 305-175 without our second scorer, and Tipp crushed us. We never played Sidney. These three teams have beaten each other all season so it will be interesting to see the final finishes.

Scioto - Koh was my roommate at ACE camp last summer and I learned a lot of quizbowl study strategy from him and their other players. They're really good, especially at science.

Copley - We're 1-2 against them. They beat us the first time by 145 points, then we came from behind to win by 15 on the final tossup, and they beat us again by 100.

Other teams we played:

Westlake - We're also 1-2 against Westlake, all games played at South Range in October. They're good at science and geography and could be an under-the-radar team. One of their players won the Ohio middle school geography bee my 8th grade year when I took 3rd.

Olmsted Falls - They beat us pretty handily at Solon Fall. Could be underrated.

Liberty - We eked out a victory by 25 points at Solon in one of my more memorable games.

St. Charles - Another close win for us at Solon, this time by 40 points, but they finished higher than we did.

Harding - We played them without their top scorer and won 430-185 at the Mahoning tournament. They ended up having a respectable finish. Looking forward to our matches next year in the first division of the league.

Don't know much about the rest of the field. Excited to be a part of Boardman's first state tournament appearance since 2005!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Re: 2016 NAQT States Preview

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Good thread, thanks for starting it. I believe we had several threads similar to this on the old createphpbb board (RIP), and as far as I know they were always awesome to read, post, engage, etc. Plus one could always put names to a face when the tournament rolled around!

As to the tournament...

I'll only make a prediction for the top 12 -

"Locks": Solon, Sidney, Northmont, Tipp, Scioto, Boardman, Copley, Westlake / on "the bubble": Jerome, St. Charles, Beavercreek, Fisher, Liberty, Harding, Wellington, Mason

Miscellaneous thoughts
1) Enjoy playing @ St. Charles if its your first time. The classrooms have a "neat" feeling to them and the building is nice. You may find its different (in a cool way) from other schools you've played in.

2) Most of us on the board have obviously met each other in real life, but I realize some have not. If for any reason you want to meet the miserable, pale-faced soul that is me, I'll be wearing a gray CU-Boulder sweatshirt up until round 1 starts, after which I'll look more presentable.

In previous years, there has generally been a "shocker" or an "upset" or a "darkhorse" at the NAQT States competition.

2012 - Beachwood/Lizzie Bream, who didn't have Scott Remer present (which, if you know how good he was), upset Olmsted Falls A in the morning round. By some standards, that was a stacked Olmsted Falls team. Two other things happened that year: Hawken, which that year was a huge question mark (because so little was really known about the team, other than the fact they were known to be [really] good in NE Ohio) came in and took second. The other story line was Hawken vs Michael Coates and the Warren G Homage crew (Harding) in the final. Harding beat Hawken to win the State Title.

2013 - Two things happened: for the second year in a row, Olmsted Falls had a loss in the preliminary portion that made everyone say "whoa, where did that come from?". They lost to Bexley, and not to speak ill of that Bexley squad, but that was probably the bigger of the two upsets OF experienced between the two states competitions those two years.

The other thing that happened was basically madness. Madness that was fun from a player's perspective, as every team had a loss. Sycamore was the only school to beat Northmont @ '13 NAQT States. We beat Sycamore twice (morning, afternoon) that day, but we had a string of losses in afternoon (and in some way, shape, or form, other schools did too - believe me when I say it was madness.) Sycamore didn't end up playing for the title because of their two losses to us and Olmsted Falls (after OF lost to Bexley that morning). Northmont d. Solon in game 1 of an advantaged final (IIRC) in what was upsets galore.

(I also deeply miss the rivalry we had with Sycamore. Good times, good times...) Also, this was the final year of NAQT States being held at Ohio State.

2014 - there wasn't really an upset IIRC, but I remember us playing Dublin Jerome in round 1 (when they had Roger Jin, who was pretty legit). We were beating Jerome 370-330 approaching tossup 20, the last. (So up 40, I think to myself "play smart Tom, play smart") TOSSUP 20: "In the 2006 edition of this game, Vince Young (okay Tom, its one or the other, DON'T FALL FOR NEGBAIT) ran-" *Roger takes the gamble and correctly powers Rose Bowl* (national title game would've been acceptable, I learned, after the fact. But if there was one ad hoc "WHICH ONE ARE THEY ASKING FOR" moment I can recall, that was it). They got 20/30 on the bonus, and we won by five. What's probably worth taking from that was, while not a *rule*, but generally your first match is either lopsided in a good way or a bad way, but I don't think anyone (myself included) knew how good the Jerome team was because they didn't play hardly any events before that. J

Jerome beat South Range that morning too. SR, for those who don't know (I realize most people on this board know this, but some may not) was pretty good. Objectively, that would be a considered an upset, a big one too. Although, given how well Jerome played us in the morning, and that we beat SR comfortably the next round, it made sense in retrospect that Jerome was going to give SR a 20-tossup game.

2015 - I actually don't think there were any upsets (I could be wrong.) Then again, I barely remember who I read for last year.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Also, I may be tweeting from my scores handle @tomooreqb (Now 100% Jeb Lund/Mobute, Deadspin, and other unenjoyable retweets FREE!)

Perhaps we can get a scores hashtag going. #ohnaqt16 sounds good to me.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Hopefully this snowstorm that is supposed to roll through doesn't cause any issues. I was going to come down and read since I have an unusual off-Saturday from baseball, but I'm feeling under the weather the last two days and don't need to infect anyone else with whatever I'm coming down with.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts