Regionals Team List?

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Regionals Team List?

Postby BobKilner » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Greg,

Do we have a list of what teams are headed to what regional? It might help spark some talk about the various regions and I've only seen our region (Solon).
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: Regionals Team List?

Postby Get Lynned » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Southeast

Grove City
Dublin Jerome
Olentangy Liberty
Olentangy
Mount Vernon
Centerburg
Chesapeake
St. Charles
Unioto
Bishop Rosecrans
Fairfield Christian
Fisher
Symmes Valley
Wheelersburg
Minford
Highland (Morrow County)

This region has three of the four smallest schools in the Regional tournament. Bishop Rosecrans is the second-smallest, Fairfield Christian is the third-smallest, and Fisher is the fourth-smallest. Symmes Valley, after Ft. Jennings and Mathews, (I believe) is the third-smallest public building in the Regionals tournament - they are playing in this region. Three of the top five non-urban school districts by enrollment, South-Western City Schools (largest), Olentangy (second-largest), and Dublin (fifth-largest), comprise another 25% of the regional field. Suffice to say this may be the region of "enrollment extremes".
Last edited by Get Lynned on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Here's what we've got in the West Central, as per Mr. Bellas's email this morning:

Archbishop Alter High School
Beavercreek High School
Carroll High School
Centerville High School
Chaminade-Julienne High School
Eaton High School
Kettering Fairmont High School
Miami Valley School
Miami East High School
Miamisburg High School
Northmont High School
Oakwood High School
Sidney High School
St. Marys Memorial
Tippecanoe High School
Valley View High School

A pretty normal lineup for Dayton and the surrounding area...if we're talking predictions, I'd say on first glance that the usual suspects (Sidney, Northmont, Tipp) will be angling for the state berths, while an ascendant Beavercreek will also be a factor.
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:02 am

NC
Hubbard High School
Solon High School
Brecksville-Broadview Hts. High School
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy
Woodridge
Olmsted Falls
Westlake High School
Brunswick
Brush High School
Revere High School
Eastlake North
Aurora High School
Warren G Harding High School
Lakewood High School
Mathews High School
Jefferson Area High School
Champion High School

NE
Copley
Ashland
Cloverleaf
Hoover
Green
Firestone
Black River
Ontario
St. Vincent-St. Mary
Carrollton
Perry
Fairless
Lexington
Wooster
St Peter's
Our Lady of the Elms
Crestview

NW
Tiffin Columbian
Toledo School for the Arts
Bellevue
Liberty-Benton
Edison
Oberlin
Elyria Catholic
Van Wert
Evergreen
Hicksville
Bowling Green
Saint Wendelin
Rossford
Fort Jennings
Kenton
Swanton
Riverdale

SW
Seven Hills
Mercy
Amelia
Clinton-Massie
Little Miami
Walnut Hills
Norwood
Turpin
Summit Country Day
Clermont Northeastern
Mason
Ross
St. Xavier
Batavia
Indian Hill
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (CHCA)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 pm

In North Coast, I like:
1. Solon 2. Aurora/BBHHS/Westlake

In WC, I like:
1. Sidney 2. Tipp/Northmont/Beavercreek

In NE, I like:
1. Copley 2. Green/Cloverleaf

In SE, I like:
1. St. Charles, 2. Fisher (Isn't this the top 2 every year down there?)/ Liberty / Jerome

In NW, I like:
1. Toledo School for the Arts 2. ???
Although, its a shame Maumee Country Day, Southview and Ottawa Hills aren't participating because all three of them are extremely solid teams.

In SW, I have no idea, so I'm going to say:
1. Walnut Hills, 2. ????

On paper, the toughest regional to me looks like West Central -- I didn't even put Centerville or Miami Valley in my predictions up top and they've had great seasons.

Second place behind Solon in NC is wide open, as is second place at NE behind Copley. Cloverleaf is young, but seems to have gotten better every time I've seen them this year and Green is solid as always.

This is just my two cents... you people in WC/SW/SE/NW are far more qualified to talk about those regions than I am.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:32 pm

I think others would agree that in previous, recent years, the toughest region has almost always been North Coast/the former NE Region. That region is going to be wicked tough again with Solon and, as Bob alluded to, the potential logjam for second with BBH & Westlake, but I think this year's toughest region is definitely West Central.

WC - between the fact we're in the post-Sam (and teammates) era, and with the return of Beavercreek, that region's state-qualifying spots appear to be as open as it has been in a long time - similarly, it appears to be the deepest region. Sidney looks like the bettor's favorite to punch one of the tickets to State, most likely the Regional Champion. Then we have Northmont, Tipp, Beavercreek, Centerville, and MVS. In total, six teams that, by estimation, that all have a good chance to advance. I'll predict Sidney as champ, and Northmont as runner-up (experience wins at the end of the day, right?) - but it wouldn't surprise me if we see Tipp get that second spot. Or another GWOC school mentioned above. Or... the fifth-smallest school in the tournament, Miami Valley.

NC - Solon, as long as they play on their A game as usual, should win the NC. Brecksville-Broadview Heights won Copley's OAC, yeah? They'll probably be playing Westlake in the loser's bracket final. I won't rule out Harding, but those first three are obviously strong in recent history (last year/this year) @ the OAC format.

NE - Copley, Lexington (no real justification for picking Lexington over Cloverleaf, this is more of an expression that "regional runner-up may be up for grabs".)

NW - Toledo School for the Arts, Hicksville; this may be the region where some of the better teams aren't playing @ Regionals (Sylvania Southview, MVCDS, Ottawa Hills, Toledo de Sales). Regardless, TS4TA should be good enough to get one of the two spots. My guess is Hicksville / Swanton will play in the losers' bracket final.

SW - Walnut Hills, St. X / CHCA - not to put this region down, but like the NW, this is pretty much an unknown. Walnut Hills we know is always good; for the second spot... St. X & CHCA sound like good, safe bets. But then again, there's also Indian Hill, Seven Hills, and SCOL Champ Clinton-Massie.

SE - St. Charles, Fisher - IMO, St. Charles > Fisher; that much I know. I have Fisher taking the second spot, but they could get eliminated before loser's bracket final (ugh). Watch out for Minford! I don't remember what team I read for @ the Golden Shamrock, but they were from Minford, and they looked like the caliber of team that could play with Jerome & Liberty, as well as a team that could give Fisher fits. Also look out for Olentangy High School (not Liberty). St. Charles will win this region, will give a slight edge to Fisher to take the second spot but Jerome, Minford, and the two Olentangy's should round out the top six (don't know what order, though, in spots 2-6).
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts