2016 Southeast Regional (updates, scores, etc)

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2016 Southeast Regional (updates, scores, etc)

Postby Get Lynned » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:17 pm

For anyone out there who won't be in Lancaster tomorrow, but yet want to follow the regional from afar, I'll post the final scores in my room at the conclusion of each game on my scores Twitter and will try to tweet photos of the original bracket, the winners' bracket, losers' bracket, and scores as I see them get posted* - the tag will be #SEreg16; I'll also try a statewide tag of #OHregs16. Anyone's welcome to add to the tags if they have scores.

* - subject to me being able to access Wi-Fi or being able to pick up an LTE signal in the building. If not, I'll post what I have when I go out to lunch.

I'll also post an update on the board as to who's in what bracket, who is still alive etc around lunchtime on this thread.

Good luck, everyone.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: 2016 Southeast Regional (updates, scores, etc)

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:18 pm

We beat St. Charles 2x after losing to them and beat Fisher 2x. St. Charles and Liberty move on to the state dance.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:48 pm

This may be the first time since the 1990's that the regional champion was not St. Charles nor FC.

It's the first time since 2011 in which the two qualifiers were not *both* SC and Fisher. That year it was SC and Eastern Brown. I believe 2009 or 2010, it was Bexley in place of FC. But before that, that had to have been all SC and Fisher, so this is I believe only the third time in 16 years the two qualifiers are not both SC and Fisher.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Here is a year over year review of the SE regional:

2015 Regional write up from Sedlack:

The OAC Southeast Regional has now come and gone, and we thank all of you for coming out and competing.
As far as results, the top half of the field ended up in this order:

1st place – Fisher Catholic
2nd – St. Charles
3rd – Olentangy Liberty
4th (tie) – Granville and St. Clairsville
6th (tie) – Grove City, Minford, and Mount Vernon

2016 Regional write up from Sedlack:

The OAC Southeast Regional has now come and gone, and we thank all of you for coming out and competing.

As far as results, the top half of the field ended up in this order:

1st place – Olentangy Liberty
2nd – St. Charles
3rd – Fisher Catholic
4th (tie) – Dublin Jerome and Grove City
6th (tie) – Fairfield Christian, Olentangy, and Unioto
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:20 pm

My fingers are crossed that I don’t say anything controversial. I hope that I don't offend anyone.

I have very deep respect for the people and traditions involved at St. Charles and Fisher Catholic. I hope that they continue to be as great as they have been for the last 15 years in the next 15 years. I hope that this year's result is a sign that some other programs in the southeast/central region will continue to step up their game. I think more schools in this area are starting to figure out what it takes to be good at this activity. We have numerous people to thank for that including Tom Moore.

Maybe this is a one year fluke or it could be that the southeast could turn into more of a multi horse race over the long term. I think that it will take a few years to know which of those are true. It could be a 3rd choice somewhere in the middle. I think most of the times you mention where one of the two teams lost it was a team that had one really great year that took the spot. No one team has put a tradition of challenging for the top 2 and I hope that will change.

I hope it is clear that wanting other teams to improve and challenge the best in the region isn’t the same thing as hoping for something bad to happen to the best in the region.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:47 pm

You're speaking from the heart - nothing controversial about that. (Believe me Josh, dialogue is always welcomed. I've said my fair share of lamentable things, and yet, I'm always welcome to talk on the boards - "its why we have it.")

I completely see where you are coming from there. I think what I'm referring to with my post isn't a dissatisfaction with Fisher losing (I was, though), or a "oh wow, this is a shocker", just to clarify. Earlier in the week, Bob Kilner mentioned in his SE prediction (on a different thread) something along the lines of "SC/Fisher... isn't this the top two every year down there?" (which in Bob's defense, was innocuous). So it made sense for me to make my earlier post on this thread and figuratively say "hey, would you look at that...".

I myself would not call this a fluke, although fluke may be a variable term. The Liberty team I watched vs Dublin Jerome in the losers' bracket semifinal and vs Fisher in the losers' bracket final were better than both teams in the games I saw.

It's most likely that we're going to see the regional competition for the SE Reg. become more of a multi-horse race. To what extent, in terms of the region and who specifically will make it a multi-horse race... I'm not sure. This is a diverse region, but it is also very hard to concretely define because the boundaries of the region have been as far north as Mount Vernon, as far northeast as New Philadelphia area (Indian Valley, 2015), and as far east as St. Clairsville. The only thing we really know for sure is a bunch of central Ohio teams, teams from the Ohio river area, and teams sprinkled in the areas between attend the regional.

The question that kind of precedes that would be "what comes first: do we see a region where there are six-to-eight schools who all have a viable chance at making it to state, or a region where the geographic split is 13-3 Central Ohio to Southern Ohio?"*$ If we see more Central Ohio schools play and improve, we then the fire under SC and FC's butts gets warmer. I don't think we'll see the necessity of an additional region to satisfy (what appears to be) growing demand in Central Ohio for a few years, so we could see more leveling of the playing field in the meantime: whether its the law of averages, traditional powers being weaker, or more schools being active in the game and getting better. I'll go with the conventional answer, (and the correct one), the latter.

*$ - regarding this, it wouldn't be too far off to suggest this region will look very different in five years or so *IF* one were to believe the theory that it's only a matter of time until the large Columbus suburban schools (Ohio Capital Conference country) manage to break through into quizbowl.

Many schools in the region can look to Liberty's win and think "if they can, why not us." As a supporter of good quizbowl, who enjoyed the competition in high school, and one who wants to see other kids enjoy the same thing in HS and for the betterment of the game, I say "then bring it." (encouragingly, of course) As a very passionate alum, I welcome threats like Liberty to my alma mater's quest to replicate the success Brandon Shull, Andrew Smith, and earlier iterations of FC squads (ft. Steven Wellstead, et al) experienced at the regional level. Iron sharpens iron, and more competition makes each school better for states level and the national stage - so it's good for Ohio as well.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Also, was going to post this earlier today, but the round 1 match between Fisher and Olentangy was a score of 97-68... which was 165 total points. That is significant in that there are 180 total points on the board under the new OAC scoring format (categories: 60, alphabet round: 80, and lightning round: 40). So about 92% total conversion in that game, which was a peck higher than Sidney beating Northmont (81-78 in round 2, according to Coach Bellas' thread on West Central). Granted, different rounds may carry differing difficulties, but in the case of FC-OHS: between a traditional power and an otherwise academically solid, yet not very well quizbowl-versed (this can change!) school, that is an impressive conversion rate.

That might go to show how possible it might be that we'll see a rising tide of non-traditional powers come in and do well enough to make this a much more heavily contested regional than in years past.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:40 am

I hope it is clear that wanting other teams to improve and challenge the best in the region isn’t the same thing as hoping for something bad to happen to the best in the region.

Loud and clear. And I think if the SE keeps getting more teams involved and more consistency in terms of attendance out of some of the teams lingering around, it will become much more wide open. I don't think Liberty's winning the region was a fluke at all, I just went with the historical picks... They've been pretty consistent all year among the top teams at tournaments they've attended and could make a run at states just like anyone else.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts