OAC States Field

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

OAC States Field

Postby BobKilner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:53 pm

NE Champion: Solon
NE Runner-Up: Lakewood
WC Champion: Northmont
WC Runner-Up: Sidney
SE Champion: Liberty
SE Runner-Up: St. Charles

waiting updates from the other regions:

In NW: Elyria Catholic is going to states, and will be joined by the winner of the Bowling Green/Toledo School of the Arts match that is ongoing.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: OAC States Field

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Via text from Tom: Liberty beat St. Charles twice to win the SE Regional
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Edited to reflect my mistake.
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby beasterling » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Per Mr. Flint, Copley won and Green took second at Cloverleaf.
Brian Easterling
Cloverleaf '14 Ohio State '18
OSUAT Vice President
OAC Committee College Representative
beasterling
Rookie

Postby pbergman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Update:

NC: Solon, Lakewood
NE: Copley, Green
NW: Elyria Catholic, Bowling Green
SE: Liberty, St. Charles
SW: Walnut Hills, Mason
WC: Northmont, Sidney
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Well looking at states then, if everyone is at full strength...

The draw obviously affects things, but I'm going to go ahead and make my prediction as:

1 - Solon
2 - Sidney
3 - Northmont
4 - Copley

That said, anyone could finish in any order and none of these teams are invincible, as seen by the results all year.

Congrats to everyone that made it to Columbus, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in a couple weeks.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:06 pm

It looks like Elyria Catholic, Mason, Lakewood, and Olentangy Liberty are schools making their first trip to 'Cap city for OAC. Bowling Green made the tournament in 2012, and Green was the 2010 state champion.

Is a bracket of death possible? If so, what could it look like?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:58 pm

We beat Mason during one of our state championship runs in either 07 or 08, so they've been there before.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby trbenedict » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

I agree with Bob that the top four in a vacuum are probably Solon/Sidney/Northmont/Copley in some order, with Solon a little ahead of the pack. As far as Tom's question about whether a "bracket of death" is possible, I think the field is deep enough to provide some fun matchups, especially with Sidney coming in as a 2-seed. For example, you could have:

Solon (NC-1), Copley (NE-1), and Walnut Hills (SW-1) all drawing into the same group with Sidney (WC-2), St. Charles (SE-2), and Bowling Green (NW-2), which would be interesting and also knock out one of my predicted "top four" before the playoff stage (I have no idea about how good Walnut Hills is, but I bet they could snake a win somewhere, and Sidney and St. Charles are probably the strongest two-seeds). The same "three-top-teams-for-two-spots" rule would be true of...

Solon (NC-1), Copley (NE-1), Liberty (SE-1) along with Sidney (WC-2), Mason (SW-2), and Bowling Green (NW-2). Not only does this eliminate one of Solon/Sidney/Copley before the playoff stage, but it also positions Liberty to play spoiler (see sidebar below). If that doesn't float your boat, you could have...

Solon (NC-1), Copley (NE-1), Northmont (WC-1) along with St. Charles (SE-2), Mason (SW-2), and Bowling Green (NW-2). This scenario, as well as the one directly above, might be more of just a rough draw for Northmont/Copley and not a true group of death, since you don't have the punch of both Sidney and St. C coming in from the bottom part of the division, but it certainly has teeth.

(Sidebar) As we make predictions, I wouldn't count out Olentangy Liberty's ability to have a say in the proceedings with a well-placed win or two...it might be a little odd to suggest that the SE champion would come in under the radar, but having read for OL (albeit only in NAQT format) I can attest that they're pretty well-specialized when they're at full strength. I don't know how deep their knowledge goes, which is necessary to consistently score points on the top teams on OAC state-level questions, but I could see them knocking off one of the "top four" over the course of the day and making the playoffs if they get a good draw.

Congratulations to all the teams that made it into this very strong state field, and best of luck in Columbus!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:06 am

After talking to the previous coach it will be our second time to OAC states. In 2005 we were runner up in the West Central region.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 am

I probably should have remembered that, that was my first trip to states as a coach and we fell victim to awful questions and went 2-and-out. Tipp, led by Zach Witeof, was the WC champ that year and drew Copley (who we had beaten for the NE regional title). Copley beat Tipp in R1 and then Tipp ran through the entire loser's bracket to finish 2nd to Copley. That year was unusual because Copley's captain Abbaad Haider came down with some really bad illness that caused him to miss months of school and competitions and his first competitions back were regionals and states, helping them to the state title. My 2006-2008 teams were dynamite when we won our titles, but my 2005 team was better than all three of those teams. It was devastating to them to have that happen, but it was the nature of OAC questions back then. I still have binders upon binders of questions from the mid-to-late 80s-onward that are hilariously bad.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts