Ohio Contingencies at Nationals, 2016

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Ohio Contingencies at Nationals, 2016

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Let's use this thread to keep everyone in the loop as to what's going on; we can make predictions and engage on this thread.

History Bowl
In terms of varsity, four schools made the trek: Centerville, Fisher, Northmont, and Tippecanoe. Northmont and Tipp made the upper afternoon tiers. I thought Fisher did too (the website for tracking "what team is where" had them in the Grieg bracket, which was upper), but after talking to Lynn I guess they went 3-2 and missed. Centerville made the lower afternoon tier - is this their first taste of national quizbowl? Nothing for them to hang their heads over, we all have to taste sugar for a first time to appreciate it later times.

As for JV, the only school who went was Beavercreek. They thrashed through their morning bracket, and went 9-0, but it appears they lost to Arcadia A in their 10th game (presumably the game of the 1 seeds.) I'm assuming they're going to make the single-elimination bracket.

Small School NAQT nationals/SSNCT
Might as well be the home away from home for the Buckeye State, as 17 teams from 15 schools are going to Rosemont next weekend. Beachwood, Ben. Logan, Clinton-Massie, Columbiana, East Clinton, Hicksville, LaBrae, Newbury, Ottawa Hills x2, Smithville x2, Toledo School for the Arts (TS4A), (Hanoverton) United, Urbana, and Van Wert. There's quite a bit of geographic diversity here: Cuyahoga, Logan, Clinton (x2), Columbiana (x2), Defiance, Trumbull, Geauga, Wayne (x2), Lucas (x3), Champaign, and Van Wert counties are all represented.

NAQT Nationals / HSNCT
There's 16 teams, 14 schools. Brunswick, Cloverleaf, Copley, Dublin Jerome, Dublin Scioto, Fisher, Northmont, Olentangy Liberty x2, Olmsted Falls, Rootstown, Solon x2, Tippecanoe, Walnut Hills, and Warren G. Harding.

Pace NSC
There's 3 teams, 3 schools according to the PACE website. Northmont, Sidney, and Solon.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Ohio Contingencies at Nationals, 2016

Postby Djones » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Yeah the website with the teams for the playoffs had Fisher Catholic and Baton Rouge switched. Baton Rouge made the Grieg bracket, while Fisher was in the 3-4 brackets.

Tipp was the only varsity team to make the final 24, grabbing the 24 seed in the playoff.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:55 pm

As for teams making their first trips to nationals (or first time, in a long time...)

I would imagine this isn't Beavercreek High School's first nationals rodeo, but seeing as how the program apparently went defunct for a while and is now doing events, we may as well consider it the first (of hopefully many to come in the future) national tournaments for the current players and coaches.

Centerville, I hope they enjoyed History Bowl, the District o' Columbia, and hopefully the kids got to soak in the experience of playing at a large quizbowl national. The first time is the time that leaves the biggest impression.

In terms of the small schools (and its possible I'm accidentally omitting one, so help me out on here if I do miss one, Greg) - LaBrae, TS4A, United, and Van Wert are all making their inaugural trips to Nationals. Good luck to the Vikings, the Golden Eagles, and the Cougars. I can not find the mascot for TS4A online, nor am I literate enough in music to make a pun encouraging them to victory... so good luck anyways!

HSNCT - Brunswick, Dublin Jerome, and Rootstown are making their national debuts as well. And if we want to get really intrigued by the mascots, they are the Blue Devils, Celtics, and Rovers, respectively.

So 2 + 4 + 3 = 9, nine schools are making their first trip to nationals. Like I mentioned earlier, they're great experiences and I find it exciting for the players and coaches.

Go Ohio.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 am

more History Bowl...

Beavercreek, according to the website, went 10-3 on Saturday; 5-0 in prelim, 4-1 in afternoon, and 1-2 in the playoff stage. Evidently I was wrong about there being a single elimination playoff, they had it in years past – it's possible they changed the format last year or this year. :oops: Anyways, looks like they had a solid first year back in quizbowl, and the future looks bright, from what I've heard.

Tipp went 1-2 in the final playoff grouping. Regardless, it was good to see them make the playoffs!

History Bee, varsity...

Northmont has three students competing: Kara, Rachel, and Brendon; Laurel from Tipp is competing, as is Hunter from FC. There is also a student from Centerville participating.

History Bowl, JV...

By my skimming of the page, it looks like Ohio has three students competing. Michael from Tipp and, the star player from Beavercreek, Hari. Apparently there is a third OH student competing, I don't recognize the school name listed but evidently the student is from OH. It's listed as "Schilling", but a Google search for "Schilling, OH" or "Schilling High School" yields nothing.
Last edited by Get Lynned on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Djones » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:23 am

Brendon from Northmont is also playing in the bee. Schilling is a one man team from the Cincinnati area. They came to the Western Ohio history bowl we hosted.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:39 am

Noted on both accounts: I'm not sure how I missed Brendon, anyways, sorry about that!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:39 pm

As per Dave Madden's post on the national board, Tippecanoe won the Varsity Small School classification in the National History Bowl and Kyle Y. from Westlake won the JV division of the U.S. Geography Olympiad. Congrats to all affiliated parties and to all Ohio schools/players who made it to Arlington!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby jrbellas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Yes, Tipp finished 19th in the field, our top finish ever at a national event. We did indeed win Small School National Champions, edging out Hewitt, I think.

In the playoffs we beat West Egg (David totally called it by the way), lost to Iolani in a tough match where we started poorly, and got blown out by Lexington. In fairness, pretty much everyone got blown out by Lexington in our grouping.

Laurel just missed making the bee playoffs. Finished 42nd, I believe. She went out in four of the six rounds but still didn't make it, which seems pretty tough. Michael enjoyed his time playing the in JV and was somewhere in the 90's last time I checked.

We had a good time and stopped at some neat places in Baltimore on the way over. Who knows where we'll go next year, but we will certainly be back, likely with a team only in the JV division due to all of my returning players being freshmen.

Congrats to all of the teams and players from the Buckeye state that represented us proudly. Now its on to Dallas!
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 am

Here are the MSNCT teams representing Ohio this Mother's Day weekend in Atlanta, GA (I know that some of the AVG PPB may not represent the teams at full strength).

Lake Center Christian AVG PPB 18.66 3rd place finish @ E. Palestine
Copley-Fairlawn AVG PPB 20.48 with 1st place finishes @ Copley, Solon and E. Palestine tournaments Smithville 3rd @ AQUILA II
Miami Valley A AVG PPB 24.89 (State Champs) has only suffered one loss this year in MS vs MS action (Hyatts) with 1st place wins @ MSCOT II/Give Thanks/
Olentangy Hyatts A AVG PPB 21.21 (State Runner up) 1st @ Smithville 3rd @ AQUILA, 2nd @ MSOCT II, 2nd @ Quizzing in the Hills,
Olentangy Hyatts B AVG PPB 19.96 3rd @ Smithville, 4th @ Copley, 4th @ AQUILA II
University School AVG PPB 18.82 3rd @ Smithville and 6th @ Solon

Predictions:
Lake Center was 118th @ MSNCT15 I do not know this team as we have never played them. The are in the NE corridor and may not make the playoffs. 3-5 finish unless Mitch tears it up.
MV was tied for 8th @ MSNCT15 I am confident that they will make the playoffs and place in the top 20. Goger Bros. are on fire if William stays with it.
CF was tied for 40th @ MSNCT15 I am confident that they will make the playoffs and place in the top 40 again but higher. 5-5 or better if Nate/Frank/Jun click. well
Hyatts A was 99th @ MSNCT15 This will be year that we should make the playoffs and we could be a top 40 placer. 5-5 or better if they stay focused.
Hyatts B will be a mishmash crew and has the potential to make the playoffs but if they do not gel well they should be 3-5 or higher. If Sean/Sindhu are in then watch out.
University School was 111th @ MSNCT15 They have some good talent 3-5 or better if Henry is scorching then they could make the playoffs.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Bluejay » Fri May 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Quick HSNCT predictions (hope to see a lot of you there, though I'm arriving at night so I probably can't catch up then!):

Can Make Playoff Run

Solon A 8-2. Should contend for the national title. If not, I expect to see them at least play quizbowl after Sunday lunch.
Dublin Scioto 7-3

Should Make the Playoffs
Northmont 6-4
Dublin Jerome 6-4
Copley 6-4
Tippecanoe 6-4

Could Make the Playoffs
Solon B 5-5
Olentangy Liberty A 5-5
Fisher Catholic 5-5
Walnut Hills 5-5
Brunswick 5-5
Olmsted Falls 5-5
Cloverleaf A 5-5

Probably Misses Playoffs
Olentangy Liberty B 4-6
Warren G. Harding 4-6

Won't Make the Playoffs, But Hopefully Enjoy the Experience
Rootstown 3-7
Cloverleaf B 2-8

Incidentally, were stats for the NAQT State Championship ever posted? I was hoping to use them for these predictions but I can't find them anywhere.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Bluejay
Rookie

Return to Old/Outdated Posts