OAC 2016 Summer Meeting

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

OAC 2016 Summer Meeting

Postby gbdriver80 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm

The minutes for Friday's OAC Meeting can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsUjF ... sp=sharing

Other website updates are in the works and should be finished by the end of this week at the latest!
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: OAC 2016 Summer Meeting

Postby gbdriver80 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 pm

The questions from 2016 Regionals and State, as well as 2015 Regionals and State, are now available on the website: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacade ... /questions
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby rdfromsolon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Not sure if this the right thread to post this, but I was wondering why the rule that "Students may not participate in college/university level quiz bowl teams or tournaments as a college/university team member. Any student(s) who has (have) played in a regular season tournament without school authorization is ineligible for OAC regional/state competition." exist. In my opinion, neither of these makes it unfair for someone to compete in OAC.
Also, why does the official OAC rules state that teams must have 4 players? I would expect this might discourage schools with smaller programs from attending OAC tournaments.

Thanks!
Rohin Devanathan
Solon High School '16
UC Berkeley '20
rdfromsolon
Rookie

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:48 am

rdfromsolon wrote:Not sure if this the right thread to post this, but I was wondering why the rule that "Students may not participate in college/university level quiz bowl teams or tournaments as a college/university team member. Any student(s) who has (have) played in a regular season tournament without school authorization is ineligible for OAC regional/state competition." exist. In my opinion, neither of these makes it unfair for someone to compete in OAC.
Also, why does the official OAC rules state that teams must have 4 players? I would expect this might discourage schools with smaller programs from attending OAC tournaments.

Thanks!

As far as playing on college teams go, the stance of the OAC Committee is that you must only play for one team during a season. For instance, when a student goes to a CTC/JVS type school, they are given the choice of whether to play quiz bowl for their home school or for their CTC/JVS. They cannot play on both teams during the same academic year. Likewise, a student must choose whether they are part of the high school team or the college team. I know we all hate the stock sports analogies but it is that way in every other high school activity/sport as well. To be clear though, high school students are allowed to play in college tournaments so long as they are playing under their high school's name and not with college teammates. If someone does choose to participate in a college quiz team, they can still participate in all aspects of high school quiz bowl outside of OAC Regionals and State.

When it comes to the teams being required to have four players, the rule that talks about having 4 to 8 players states at the end that at the discretion of the tournament host, the team may play with 3. And in practice, teams have been allowed to play with however many - whether it be 1, 2, or 3. I am going to put this on the list for discussion for our next meeting to make sure that we clean up the language here.

Hope that answers your questions!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts