NAQT Small School

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

NAQT Small School

Postby QuizBoss » Sun May 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Nine Ohio teams participated in this tournament. That was nine more than the host state, Minnesota.

Some of you who follow me on Twitter were already aware of what happened, but here's a summary.

Records after prelims:

South Range, 9-0
Ottawa Hills, 5-4
Columbiana, 4-5
Smithville, 3-6
East Palestine and Van Buren, 2-7
Piketon, Clinton-Massie, and Newbury, 1-8

With the exceptions of Newbury and Ottawa Hills, the results had a direct correlation with number of NAQT tournaments attended.

In the playoffs, Ottawa Hills went 1-2 to finish tied for 16th. South Range went 2-2 with a bye to finish tied for seventh. Given their performance on Friday, it wasn't the final position they expected or wanted, but stuff happens. The first loss was to Glasgow; Bonnie told me that Olivia (tournament's top scorer) beat Brianna to the lit. That's all you need to know there. Second loss was a perfect storm of good opponent, lack of momentum, and negs.

Hallsville, the #2 seed heading into play today, overcame the #1 seed Harmony North Austin then went to the second game of an advantaged final to dispatch Advanced Math and Science Academy to claim the title. Paul Nelson, take a bow.

Would there be interest among the big schools in playing a mirror of this as an early season event? It's basically another IS set with a slightly harder spread of bonuses.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: NAQT Small School

Postby Get Lynned » Sun May 04, 2014 6:05 pm

It's worth noting Clinton-Massie's sole win came against playoff contender Greenville!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun May 04, 2014 6:21 pm

And then Greenville eliminated Columbiana in round 9 when both were 4-4. Sigh...
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby Djones » Sun May 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Not surprised to see Hallsville win. We played them in Missouri earlier this year and they took us to the last couple questions, I believe finishing 3rd behind Ladue and us. Sam and I discussed that they would be a very formidable team at SSCT if they played. Glad to see so many Ohio teams competing.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts