William Wordsworth Memorial Shootout

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

William Wordsworth Memorial Shootout

Postby Nour Hijazi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 am

Hello all!

I'm planning on writing a literature only singles shootout consisting of approximately 5 packets (four rounds and one final, unless there is sufficient interest in more packets) of 20/0 literature questions. The question difficulty should resemble ACF Fall as to open up the possibility for some creative answerlines, and to sufficiently challenge the players. Joe Czupryn will be overseeing the production and editing. I'm merely posting to gauge interest among high schoolers who might be attending our usual Social Studies Shootout in the winter, and possibly our Spring Tournament in normally held in early March. The shootout will commence immediately after the finals of the Social Studies Event, and the Spring tournament, assuming we run it at both tournaments. The cost to play is $5.

The distribution will be 4/0 American, 4/0 European, 4/0 British, 4/0 World, and 4/0 Other (common links, characters in several different works, etc.)

If you are interested in playing, post or have your coach post in this thread. If you have any questions about this tournament or are interested in mirroring it, please feel free to PM or email me.

edit: secured an editor and a distribution
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
Nour Hijazi
Rookie

Re: William Wordsworth Memorial Shootout

Postby Nour Hijazi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Just a little update as I haven't had much of a chance to post about it earlier in the year:

The first four rounds of this tournament are done and edited. I'm currently in the process of writing the finals packet. There will be a noticeable difference in difficulty between the first four and the finals; the latter will resemble a PACE NSC/ACF Winter packet more than an ACF Fall packet.

The likelihood of this tournament happening is contingent on how many people sign up to play. As I said before, I'm willing to hold it at both our winter tournament and our spring one, with the condition that there is sufficient interest at both sites. If it does run at the winter tournament, it will most likely happen right after the history bee to allow everyone a chance to play both. As we approach the date for both tournaments, please let me know if you are interested in playing so I can plan ahead and schedule everything. Hope to see you there!
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Nour Hijazi
Rookie

Postby jrbellas » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:02 am

We'd have a couple of players (my two literature girls) who would play it after your January event.
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Postby csa2125 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Three from Scioto are interested.
Clark Smith
Scioto '18
OSU
csa2125
Rookie

Postby Nour Hijazi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Well, after getting back from Tipp earlier today, I thought it might be a good idea to publicize who has expressed interest so far and at what site. In addition, I realized that I never really explained the format either, so most likely, it'll be similar to the regional History Bee format in that everyone will be assigned a number and randomly assigned to a room. Given that my field will probably be a lot smaller than a normal history bee unless there are more than 16 people that sign up, what will most likely happen (unless someone comes forward with a better suggestion which I'm certainly open to hear) is that there will be two rooms with the same amount of players. If there is an odd number of players, I'll add a player to one room. If there ends up being more than 16 players, I'll try to divide it into 3 equal sized rooms and add players to those rooms as needed. In addition, Sidney will be using their own buzzer set in one room, however, if someone who is playing is willing to let me borrow their team's buzzers, that'd be greatly appreciated!

I apologize if there are any mistakes on these lists and I'll update them as people express interest, (this by no means is any sort of confirmation, merely to get a general idea of who will be in attendance) but so far, for the Winter Tournament:
Tipp x 2
Beavercreek X 1
Miami Valley X 2
Northmont x 3-4
Fisher x 2-3
Olentangy Liberty x 1

Spring Tournament:
Dublin Scioto x 3

Again, if anyone is interested in holding a mirror of this set, feel free to PM or email me. It will be open for mirrors no later than Christmas, but most likely in mid-December. Due to the difficulty of this tournament, I'm willing to allow mirrors of it to be open to more than just high school students.

edited: slight clarification
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Nour Hijazi
Rookie

Return to Old/Outdated Posts