Fall Qualifier at Ohio State, 10/22

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Fall Qualifier at Ohio State, 10/22

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Now that I have a few minutes to myself as round seven is about to start...

John Glenn Bracket

Miami Valley A 5-0 (89 ppg)
Northmont 4-1 (82.6 ppg)
Jerome A 3-2 (65.6 ppg)
St. Charles A 2-3 (57.8 ppg)
Fisher Catholic B 1-4 (38.6 ppg)
Solon B 0-5 (40.2 ppg)

George Voinovich Bracket

Fisher Catholic A 5-0 (94.4 ppg)
Solon A 4-1 (67 ppg)
Tippecanoe 3-2 (50.6 ppg)
St. Charles B 2-3 (44.4 ppg)
Jerome B 1-4 (39.6 ppg)
Miami Valley B 0-5 (36 ppg)

JV Bracket after four rounds

Solon C 4-0 (58.3 ppg)
Fisher C 3-1 (50.8 ppg)
St. Charles C 1-3 (39.5 ppg)
Solon D 0-4 (39.3 ppg)

Afternoon

Cuyahoga (championship bracket): Fisher A, Miami Valley A, Northmont, and Solon A
Muskingum (5th place bracket): Tippecanoe, Jerome A, St. Charles A, St. Charles B
Hocking (9th place bracket): Fisher B, Jerome B, Solon B, Miami Valley B
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Fall Qualifier at Ohio State, 10/22

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Round 6

Cuyahoga: Fisher A 87, Northmont 74; Miami Valley A 77, Solon A 66

Muskingum: St. Charles A 80, Tippecanoe 36; Jerome A 72, St.Charles B 36

Hocking: Fisher B 58, Miami Valley B 32; Solon B 52, Jerome B 27

Round 7

Cuyahoga: Fisher A 83, Solon A 46; Miami Valley 76, Northmont 72

Muskingum: Tippecanoe 57, St. Charles B 46; Jerome A 68, St. Charles A 62

Hocking: Solon B 48, Fisher B 44; Miami Valley B 49, Jerome B 47 (OT)

Round 8

Cuyahoga: Miami Valley A 75, Fisher Catholic A 66; Northmont 62, Solon 53

Muskingum: Jerome 64, Tippecaone 39; St. Charles A 62, St. Charles B 45

Hocking: Fisher B 54, Jerome B 40; Solon 48, Miami Valley 28

Fisher A vs Miami Valley A for the de facto title game.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby beasterling » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Congrats to Miami Valley on their win! I wasn't able to see a lot of the morning rounds but I read in the afternoon and was especially impressed with the match between Northmont and Miami Valley in round 7. It was back and forth the whole match and both teams displayed lots of deep knowledge. Thanks to Tom for putting this tournament together, and thanks to everybody that came out to OSU today!
Brian Easterling
Cloverleaf '14 Ohio State '18
OSUAT Vice President
OAC Committee College Representative
beasterling
Rookie

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks to everyone that came out. We got off to a slow start (20 minute delay) because I had trouble sending round one to the readers (mistyped email addresses, not realizing I have to actually download and upload the packets as opposed to sharing via Google Docs... d'oh!) but once we got started everything appeared to run fine. We had five varsity rounds of OAC finished before 12:30, started round six at 1:40 and managed to finish the event approximately by 3:45.

Congratulations to Miami Valley A on their championship win over Fisher Cath. A in the inaugural OAC Fall qualifier at Ohio State. Both teams earned qualification into OAC Regionals by virtue of winning their morning brackets.

Solon C won the JV bracket by three games, going 7-0. I was glad we were able to run a JV bracket for the younger players and run what I thought was a competitive morning and afternoon competition for the varsity. I came in today thinking several different teams each had a pretty legitimate chance of winning their morning bracket, so it was fun on my end in the war room following the results as they came in.

Special thanks to coaches Peter Bergman, Alex Connor, Joe Bellas, and Tyler Benedict for reading, as well as Fisher QB alums Brandon Shull (with scorekeeping help from Andrew Smith) and Luke Schmelzer (with afternoon scorekeeping help from Eric Gundelfinger) for taking time out of their day to come to Ohio State and help out.

And a HUGE thanks to the club at Ohio State for printing the necessary materials (especially Allison Salach) and filling in any staffing gaps I had open. Thanks especially to Brian Easterling and Aniketh Udipi for manning the championship bracket room opposite Joe Bellas's room. Additional thanks to Laurel Spangler, Allison Salach, and Amol Gandhi for allowing readers to use their laptops today, as well as Jon Huang for manning a JV room by himself.

I hope teams consider attending Ohio State's Delta Burke mirror in January. They will run a very strong event that I hope I can reciprocate the favor they gave me today by reading at when it comes time.

See some of you at western Ohio events in the coming weeks.

TM
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks, Brian and Tom, for the kind words, and thank you to Tom and the team at OSU for putting on this tournament! Once the morning hurdles were cleared, things ran very smoothly and quickly for us, and my teams enjoyed being on campus and playing in their first tournament at Ohio State. Congratulations are due to the teams from Fisher Catholic, Northmont, and Solon, all of whom were very impressive and showed once again that they are powerful forces on the statewide scene. Overall, a great and much-appreciated fall OAC kickoff event from all involved...looking forward to seeing everyone around the circuit in the months to come!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 am

Other than one world history round that was unbalanced, as a result of me re-writing a replacement question at the last minute, I have heard nothing but good feedback about the set. Please note that the set isn't cleared yet, as I'm still hoping to pick up another mirror or two somewhere at some point, but if you have any general comments, feel free to post them in this thread. Anything specifically you want to discuss or comment on, feel free to PM me.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts