TRASH '16 - December 10, 2016 @ Olmsted Falls MS

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

TRASH '16 - December 10, 2016 @ Olmsted Falls MS

Postby BobKilner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 am

Erin Stanton, Rhonna Smith, the Olmsted Falls Academic Team and I will be hosting the TRASH, all-pop culture tournament at Olmsted Falls Middle School on Saturday, December 10, 2016.

TRASH questions are taken from the areas of movies, tv, music, sports, games, computers, video games, etc., anything not really considered "academic."

**This tournament will be mirrored at Tippecanoe High School in Tipp City (Dayton area) on the same day. The contact for that tournament is Joe Bellas (jrbellas@tippcity.k12.oh.us).

**This tournament will also be mirrored at East Palestine High School on a day to be announced soon. The contact for that tournament is Zack While (zackwhile@outlook.com).

**I AM SEEKING MIRRORS IN THE TOLEDO, CINCINNATI AND SOUTHEAST OHIO AREAS - IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Last year, we attracted 48 teams, and previous years have had no less than 40 teams, so early registration is always wise. Please do not register a certain number of teams and bring less than you have registered or not show up at all. That’s extremely frustrating to tournament planners.

Our plan, just like previous years, is to have 8-team brackets, so that every team is guaranteed seven rounds. At that point, all bracket winners and a set number of wild cards (if less than 64 teams) will be seeded into an 8-team single elimination bracket until a winner is crowned. Therefore, all teams are guaranteed 7 games. The matches will be tossup/bonus (NAQT/HSAPQ) format, 20 questions per round.

NEW THIS YEAR - We will NOT be keeping individual stats. We've eliminated them in an attempt to minimize the delay between the end of the preliminary rounds and the playoff announcements. The champion and runner-up teams will receive trashy prizes for their trophy cases.

The cost for this year's tournament is $60 per team with a $5 discount per buzzer set (no limit). There is no JV division, all teams will play in the varsity division. That said, many times teams that are dynamite at regular quizbowl are awful at TRASH and vice versa, so it really can't be predicted how a team will do that hasn't played in the past. All registrations come with a copy of the questions, emailed out once all mirrors are complete. Remember, nobody wants to play slap bowl, so bringing buzzers and receiving your discount is also a wise idea. IF YOU BRING MORE THAN 1 TEAM, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING AN EXPERIENCED READER TO HELP MODERATE MATCHES. If you are a coach and do not have a reader available, then you will have to list yourself as the reader. We will have several of our own readers available, but we do not have the staff to cover all of the rooms necessary.

****MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAMS ARE WELCOME, BUT THEY WILL PLAY IN THE SAME DIVISIONS WITH THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS (we've had them before and they've done well at times too!)

*If you haven’t participated before or not in awhile, you can email me for a set of old questions for practice at theamazingbobbo@aol.com

The general schedule will be:
8-8:30 Registration
8:45- General Meeting
9am - Round 1 starts
11:30-12:15 - Lunch - ON SITE – Lunch will be provided on-site for $5. You DO NOT have time to leave, so please bring money to purchase lunch or feel free to pack a lunch.
12:30-1:30PM - Rounds 6 and 7
1:45ish - Playoff announcement
2pm - quarterfinals
2:30pm - semifinals
3pm - finals
**Please note: schedule is tentative. This is a best-case scenario schedule. We've solved some of the issues that have plagued us in the past, but usually the finals tend to finish around 4pm with delays during the day.

As you can see from the schedule above -- registration runs until 8:30 with the meeting shortly thereafter. WE WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU! Unless there's some unforeseen disaster (a blizzard the night before, a fender bender, etc), we will be starting play at 9am, so plan accordingly to be at Olmsted Falls Middle School by 8:30 at the latest.

The championship and runner-up teams will receive awards, as will the best neg (wrong answer) of the day. Please remember however, this is a TRASH tournament, so prizes are generally trashy.

Please note: You CANNOT use this tournament as a qualifier for OAC regionals.

Please make the check out to "Olmsted Falls Academic Team" and mail to:

Erin Stanton
c/o Olmsted Falls High School
26939 Bagley Road
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138.

If you need a phone number for your PO, 440-427-6400. Checks should be mailed ahead of time or brought the day of the tournament. Also, I might personally note that payment via check or cash on the day of the tournament is acceptable, and that invoices can be provided for those that take this option.

Please email me with your # of teams, # of buzzers and name of an experienced reader or reader(s) you can bring. [students who do not want to play but have experience reading will gladly be used as readers]

WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE IN BEAUTIFUL OLMSTED FALLS!

Bob Kilner, Erin Stanton, Rhonna Smith and the Olmsted Falls Academic Team
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: TRASH '16 - December 10, 2016 @ Olmsted Falls MS

Postby BobKilner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 am

Teams:
North Olmsted (2/0)
Olmsted Falls (3/7)
Olmsted Falls MS (3/0)
Keystone (2/1)
Monroeville (1/0)
Ashtabula Edgewood (1/1)
Rootstown (2/1)
East High (NHS) (1/0)
Huron (2/0)
Riverside (1/1)
Smithville (2/1)
Streetsboro (2/2)
James A. Garfield (2/1)
Madison (2/1)
Maple Heights (1/0)
St. Edward (2/1)
Garfield Hts. (1/1)
Hudson (2/1)
Kenston (1/2)
Firestone (2/1)
Labrae (2/1)
Brush (3/2)
Benedictine (1/1)
Beachwood (1/2)
Gilmour Academy (1/0)

Teams/Buzzers: 43/32

Extra Buzzers: North (2)

Readers:
Bob Kilner
Eric Wolske
Ryan Milowicki
Cari Milowicki
Nick Tabar
Drew Scheeler
Andy Richmond
John Vas (AM only)
David Graham (AM only)
Sandra Graham
Cynthia Tomasch
Ouen Mali
Nick Browning (reader) & Cindy Browning (scorekeep)
Joey Calabrase
Bill Calabrase (reader) & Kim Calabrase (scorekeep)
John Gaba
Laura Gaba
Claire Stanton (reader) & Christen Hawks (scorekeep)
Grant Young (scorekeep)
Ben Meredyk (scorekeep)
Marty Mendenhall
Richie Mendenhall
Mike Arnold (North Olmsted)
Caroline Schnetzer (Monroeville)
Michelle Sardella (Edgewood--if needed)
Rootstown reader
Scott Bubnick (Normandy)
Michael Gisondo (Riverside)
Smithville reader
Molly Klodor (Streetsboro)
Iva Walker (James A. Garfield)
Brittany Kemper (Madison)
Jakki Dukes (Hudson)
Allison Seefeldt (Firestone)
Kenston Reader
Tom Habenicht (Keystone)
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:43 am

The Youngstown area mirror is on 12/10 at East Palestine HS. The YSU club is in charge of it.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:27 am

If you haven't signed up yet, you have just over two weeks until the tournament date. Please get in contact with me if you'd like to attend.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 am

We're likely going to go with 6 brackets of 8. Hoping to fill them before the 10th.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 am

Had one school that had to back out today due to a previously unforeseen commitment, so I currently have 5 spots left open for December 10th. Please let me know if your team wants to come.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:37 am

Coaches,

Please check with your kids and make sure they aren't already signed up for the ACT that day. I've lost several teams in the past couple days because of this and it seems to be a recurring theme every year. I don't blame this on the coaches, but the earlier you can let me know, the better for the purposes of bracketing and procuring volunteers.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:10 pm

The set is finished and being final edited as we speak. We still have room for 4 or 5 teams if anyone still would like to attend.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm

LAST CALL: I have 5 spots still open. I will try to chimera teams together on Saturday morning if I need to but I'd rather give those spots to teams that want to come. Please let me know ASAP if you're available and want to come play.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:30 am

Everything is ready to go for the main site tomorrow. Copies made, brackets made, rooms will be set up this evening... Hopefully the snow doesn't make any teams have to cancel... its well east of us, but could effect Madison and teams out that way. Hopefully not though. To teams heading to Tipp and East Liverpool, be safe.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts