Washington University Fall Academic Tournament III, 11/11

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament III, 11/11

Postby TwoHeaded_Beast » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

(I know this is a bit late. I was waiting for stats)
Miami Valley returned to the Washington University Fall Academic Tournament in St. Louis, Missouri last weekend. This year Northmont also attended, the only other team from Ohio, as well as several teams from Illinois and Kentucky. MVS finished 5-0 in the prelims, while Northmont took losses to Orchard Farm and MICDS. Both teams qualified for the playoffs. In the playoffs, MVS went 2-1 after taking an unexpected 10-point loss to Eureka. However, Eureka lost its other two games to Ladue B and Carbondale A, so we were still first in our bracket by points scored, making the superplayoffs. Northmont lost to MICDS, Glasgow, and Helias A, and lost to Ladue B after a rebracket for 14th place out of 40 teams. In the superplayoffs, MVS unexpectedly beat MICDS (400-340) before beating Louisiana. We took second in the tournament (9-3) after losing both games of a two-game final to Ladue A.

MICDS and Louisiana are both teams to watch, each with very strong individual players; Henderson County and Glasgow are still very good. However, Ladue's performance was truly impressive. Ladue has extremely deep knowledge in all categories, leading to many first-line powers. They are positioned for amazing runs at HSNCT and/or NSC, and all of their players are juniors this year. I think they will be serious contenders for a national championship in 2019. Although Missouri's infamous recognition rule cost us points in several games, the tournament ran well as usual, and there is even talk of striking the rule in the future. Congrats to Northmont. We'll try to attend next year.

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4445/stats/prelims/
Combined:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4445/stats/combined/
John John Groger
Miami Valley '20
Columbia '24
(Usually the one posting)

William Groger
Miami Valley '21
Columbia '25
2017 Middle School Player of the Year
TwoHeaded_Beast

Return to Old/Outdated Posts