2018 NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

2018 NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Saturday, March 17, 2018
Mid-Ohio Educational Service Center
Mansfield

Open to any high school that meets the eligibility requirements for SSNCT in either the Traditional Public or Charter/Private classification

Using IS-174 with the gracious permission of Pete Bergman

$90 per team
$5 off for working 8-player buzzer systems, maximum n+1 where n = number of teams that school registers
$10 off for approved readers ($5 if scorekeeper)

Concessions available on site
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: 2018 NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Why?

Because Ohio is a leader in small school quizbowl, and neither existing state tournament reflects that.

23 small school teams went to Chicago; none of the 19 public teams were at the NAQT state tournament, and Swanton made it to St. Charles for OAC because Lakewood was sent to Southeast rather than Northwest.

When I started the NAQT State Championship in 2005, there were 20 teams. Since then, it has never grown beyond 32. I'm setting the field cap for this, initially, at 36. I intend to fill it. I also intend to use it as an outreach tool -- the Mid-Ohio ESC typically hosts 18 to 20 different districts for its events across all grade levels, most of which qualify as small.

It is complementary to the existing events. If I wanted to go head-on against Regionals, I would have scheduled it for that weekend...but having it a week before SSNCT would most likely make teams apprehensive. If I wanted to go up against OSU, that would be detrimental to both events, never mind the fact that SCT is above SSNCT difficulty. Instead, as it is before the deadline, it could function as an OAC qualifier and teams can still attend the overall NAQT State Championship if they choose.

The fact that NAQT has approved this event is evidence that they believe the tournament is a good idea, and I hope to show them and the teams that will participate that indeed it is, much like after that 2005 event at Youngstown State. I hope that it will spur other states with strong small school programs to consider something similar.
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: 2018 NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Field

Sycamore Mohawk