Tippecanoe Academic Challenge, XXIII, November 3rd, 2018

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Tippecanoe Academic Challenge, XXIII, November 3rd, 2018

Postby jrbellas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Coaches across the state of Ohio and beyond:

Everyone is invited to attend the 23rd Annual Tippecanoe Academic Challenge, to be held in palatial Tippecanoe High School, on November 3rd, 2018.

We are using NAQT set 180A. Please be sure to register for this set ONLY if you haven't played it anywhere else.

In the High School Varsity division, we will be playing 5 round robin matches, with everyone re-bracketed in the afternoon for three more matches. Top Championship flight teams may play a ninth match in order to get a team clear of the rest of the field by two wins. Winners of the varsity morning round robin divisions can qualify for OAC regional berths.

We are also offering a JV/Middle School division for young high school, novice or middle school students. We are capping this division at 16 schools, which will be placed in two divisions and will be guaranteed seven matches. Teams in this division are NOT eligible for HSNCT or SSNCT or OAC qualification.

We are awarding plaques for division winners, championship and runner up teams, and top individual scorers from the first seven rounds.

Our field cap for varsity is 30 teams, and JV/MS is 16 teams. Discounts are available for teams who bring experienced readers.

We would like to have teams arrive between 8:00-8:30 and the First Round to start no later than 9:15. Lunch will be approximately at noon. I hope to conclude the tournament around 3 pm or so.

We will be selling whole pizzas for $10 (preorder only) and chips and sodas on an a la carte basis. Since we are only allotting 40 minutes for lunch, be aware that any teams that leave for lunch may forfeit matches if they are not in their afternoon rooms on time.

We are also providing free donuts and milk for teams that arrive in a timely fashion. Once they're gone, then they're gone.

Entrance fees are $65 for the first team (in any division), and $55 for any subsequent teams. Please make checks payable to Tippecanoe High School. Anyone who needs invoices should contact me at your convenience.

We always draw a very diverse field, from small local schools that don't play much quiz bowl, to nationally-ranked teams from across the Midwest. At the TAC, we pride ourselves on running a quick, entertaining, and challenging contest that students seem to really enjoy. I hope to continue the tradition, with your participation, for another 23 years!

If you know any other coaches that might be interested, please forward this on.

Have a great quiz bowl season and I hope to see all of you at TAC XXIII.

Best regards,

Joe Bellas
Advisor, Tippecanoe Academic Quiz Team
Director, TAC XXIII
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Re: Tippecanoe Academic Challenge, XXIII, November 3rd, 2018

Postby jrbellas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Field update:

Varsity (24) - would like to get to 30.
Van Wert 1
Northmont 1
Russell, KY 2
Beavercreek 2
Little Miami 2
Miami Valley 3
White Cloud 1
Miami East 1
Simon Kenton, KY 1
Fisher Catholic 1
Sidney 1
Urbana 1
Solon 2
Celina 1
Benjamin Logan 1
Oakwood 1
Tecumseh 1
Raceland-Worthington 1

Junior Varsity/Middle School (13) (will cut off at 16)
Northmont 2
Russell, KY 1
Beavercreek 1
Little Miami 2
Fisher Catholic 1
Sidney 1
Urbana 1
Solon 2
Tippecanoe 2

Interested teams, no confirmation yet:
Carmel, IN
Danville, KY
Ottawa Hills
St. Charles
Olentangy Berlin/Liberty

So we have 6 varsity and 3 JV spots left. I might be persuaded to open up yet another 6 team varsity division, depending on my reader pool.

Thanks to those who've registered and invoices will be going out tomorrow.
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts