OSU Buckeye Spring Tournament - 3/30/19 (IS-181)

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

OSU Buckeye Spring Tournament - 3/30/19 (IS-181)

Postby ppadmanabhan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:19 pm

The Ohio State University Academic Team is proud to announce the Buckeye Spring Tournament for high school teams, which will be held Saturday, March 30, in a TBA location on Ohio State's Columbus campus. The tournament will be using NAQT's IS-181 set and will serve as a qualifier for the NAQT High School and Small School National Championship Tournaments and the PACE National Scholastic Championship.

Fees:
Base fee: $70 for your first team, $65 for additional teams
Buzzer discount: -$5
Staffer discount: -$10
New to Quizbowl: -$20 (your school played no pyramidal tournaments before September 1, 2018)

Payment: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. Teams that do not will be charged a $25 penalty fee. We will accept either cash or checks. No other form of payment will be accepted. All checks must be made out to “The Academic Team at the Ohio State University." Checks made out to other entities cannot be accepted. If there is a logistical issue that prevents this from happening, please contact me in advance.

If your school requires an invoice, please email me at the contact below, and we will provide one in short order.

Location/time: Registration will begin at 8:00 AM, with the opening meeting scheduled for 8:45 AM. Rounds will start at 9:00 AM - even if one team is running late. If your team is running late, we will begin the round reading as if you are there, and you may enter the room and join the game at any time. (If you are running late though, PLEASE contact me ASAP).
All games and meetings will be in Enarson Classroom Building, 2009 Millikin Road, Columbus, OH, 43210. Specific game rooms will appear on the schedules you receive Saturday. The Control Room will be Enarson 226.

After the prelims, we will reconvene for Playoff Seeding and Scoring Awards.

After playoffs conclude, please send one team representative to the control room (Enarson 226) to retrieve your buzzers and a free paper copy of the questions. The room is not large enough to accommodate everyone, so please have the rest of your group remain in the game rooms, and do not crowd around in the narrow hallway.

Transportation and Parking: The best place to park on campus is almost certainly either the Tuttle Park Garage (2050 Tuttle Park Place), or the football stadium lot across the street. Note that these locations are paid parking, even on Saturdays (though the rates should not exceed ~$12 for the day). A backup option is the Lane Avenue Garage (2105 Neil Ave). There is free street parking around campus, but this is far from guaranteed on Saturday mornings, and I *strongly* discourage you from attempting to find it.

Lunch Options: There will be about an hour allotted for lunch after the prelim rounds; teams are responsible for obtaining their own lunch. There are many restaurant options on High Street (about a 10 minute walk from Enarson) including McDonald's, Subway, Panda Express, Chick-fil-A, Wendy's, Qdoba, etc.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at ppadmanabhan7 AT gmail DOT com with any questions. We look forward to seeing you all in March!
Last edited by ppadmanabhan on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Re: OSU Buckeye Spring Tournament - 3/30/19 (IS-181)

Postby ppadmanabhan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Field (15):

North Olmsted 2
Springfield Northeastern 1
Westland 1
Grove City 2
Ben Logan 1
Lakewood (Licking Co.) 1
St. Charles 1
Miami Valley 1
Miami East 1
Mercy McAuley 1
Ansonia 1
Columbus Alternative 1
Dublin Jerome 1
Last edited by ppadmanabhan on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby tomoore » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Allow me to say that is great to see Ohio State resurrect their spring tournament. It is even better to see it attract a particularly intriguing field, one of great geographic diversity filled with several “new to quizbowl schools.”

ppadmanabhan wrote:Field:

North Olmsted 2
Springfield Northeastern 1
Westland 1
Arlington 2

With that said, may I suggest consider changing to an A-set? Three of these four schools have never played pyramidal quizbowl before to my knowledge (am I correct in assuming “Arlington” is actually Arlington High School in northwest Ohio and not Upper Arlington?)
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby ppadmanabhan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:27 pm

We're very excited about all the new teams getting to experience good quizbowl! We're anticipating some more experienced teams to register in the future, but we'll continue to monitor the field and consider switching sets if that makes sense.

And yes, "Arlington" is the school south of Findlay.
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby ppadmanabhan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Field update. One month out, and still plenty of spots remaining!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby bioeagle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:31 am

Any details available?

Place?
Time?
bioeagle

Postby ppadmanabhan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm

A logistics email has been sent out to all teams! Please contact me if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts