Columbian Exposition VIII :: 2 October 2021

All tournament announcements should go here. Please place the name, date and location of the tournament in the title.

Columbian Exposition VIII :: 2 October 2021

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:36 pm

In cooperation with head coach Samantha Lichtenberger and the Tiffin Columbian quizbowl team, I'm proud to announce the eighth edition of the Columbian Exposition on Saturday, October 2. We look forward to hosting in person once again! Teams are asked to arrive by 8:45 AM. There will be no opening meeting; all teams are asked to communicate with us before the tournament to receive clarification on any aspects of the tournament including but not limited to rules, scoring, and format.

The tournament will be played on the 2021 SCOP Novice Set to allow younger players a better chance of answering more questions. Entry fees for this tournament are $70 per team. Discounts for working buzzers ($5/each) and readers ($10/each but must be approved by me) are available.

More details about the set are available at https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic ... 09&t=25124 -- we will be using it in a pre-release format to help the editing team make final adjustments before its official release.

We are using the NAQT ruleset for this tournament, with tied games allowed in all rounds except the final (if one is necessary) and timing for all questions is 5 seconds. Games will not be played under an overall time limit. If you need to (re)acquaint yourself with those rules, they are available at https://www.naqt.com/rules/.

Everyone attending, playing, and working this tournament will be required to wear a mask while inside Columbian High School. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Coach Lichtenberger and myself. Willful disregard of the tournament masking policy will be treated as unsportsmanlike conduct under the NAQT rules, specifically Rule K1 -- "All players, coaches, institutional representatives, and other persons associated with a team are bound by an honor code to behave responsibly and ethically. This includes, but is not limited to...abiding by all decisions of the tournament staff...".

Under Rule K5, sanctions for misconduct are determined at my sole discretion as tournament director and, by Rule K7, are not appealable.

Buzzers will be used; Columbian will provide hand sanitizer in every room. Buzzers should be sanitized before and after each round. Readers and scorekeepers will ensure this takes place. Players are welcome to bring their own sanitizers, gloves, etc. Players may choose not to use a buzzer; this circumstance is covered by Rule C4. The reader will be the sole judge of when that player/those players signaled, and that judgment is not protestable.

The field cap will initially be 18 teams. That may be increased depending on expressed interest and staff availability to 24. Any further expansion will require both staff and classroom availability.

You may register by replying to this email (or separately to greg.bossick@gmail.com) and letting me know how many teams you are entering and which discounts, if any, you are claiming.

Thanks,

Greg Bossick
330.212.1804 | @QuizBoss
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: Columbian Exposition VIII :: 2 October 2021

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Final field

Columbian x3