Hilander :: 9 October

All tournament announcements should go here. Please place the name, date and location of the tournament in the title.

Hilander :: 9 October

Postby QuizBoss » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 am

In cooperation with the Hiland quizbowl team, I'm proud to announce The Hilander Tournament on Saturday, October 9. Teams are asked to arrive by 8:45 AM. There will be no opening meeting; all teams are asked to communicate with us before the tournament to receive clarification on any aspects of the tournament including but not limited to rules, scoring, and format.

The tournament will be played on the 2021 NAQT Middle School National Championship Set preliminary rounds (packets 1-10) to allow younger players a better chance of answering more questions. Entry fees for this tournament are $70 per team. Discounts for working buzzers ($5/each) and readers ($10/each but must be approved by me) are available.

NAQT has communicated to me changes to their qualification rules for this season that are not, as yet, on their website. This tournament **WILL NOT** be a qualfiying event for 2022 NAQT National Championships. Additionally, if any middle school in your school district participated in the 2021 NAQT Middle School National Championship, your high school cannot play this event.

We are using the NAQT tossup-bonus ruleset for this tournament, with tied games allowed in all rounds except the final (if one is necessary) and timing for all questions is 5 seconds unless specifically stated differently in the question. Games will not be played under an overall time limit. If you need to (re)acquaint yourself with those rules, they are available at https://www.naqt.com/rules/.

Everyone attending, playing, and working this tournament will be required to wear a mask while inside Hiland High School. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Coach Blanchard and myself. Willful disregard of the tournament masking policy will be treated as unsportsmanlike conduct under the NAQT rules, specifically Rule K1 -- "All players, coaches, institutional representatives, and other persons associated with a team are bound by an honor code to behave responsibly and ethically. This includes, but is not limited to...abiding by all decisions of the tournament staff...".

Buzzers will be used. Players are welcome to bring their own sanitizers, gloves, etc. Players may choose not to use a buzzer; this circumstance is covered by Rule C4. The reader will be the sole judge of when that player/those players signaled, and that judgment is not protestable.

The field cap will initially be 12 teams. That may be increased depending on expressed interest and staff availability to 18. Any further expansion will require both staff and classroom availability.

Coach Blanchard has told me that candy, popcorn, pop, and water will be available throughout the day. Pizza will be available at the lunch break.

You may register via the NAQT website; the registration link is https://www.naqt.com/registration/regis ... &type=TEAM -- you will need to create an account with naqt.com if you don't already have one, or log in if you do.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: Hilander :: 9 October

Postby QuizBoss » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:47 am

Field as of 10 September

Copley x2
Dublin Scioto
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22