Boardman Invitational - 3/17

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Boardman Invitational - 3/17

Postby ppadmanabhan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks to everyone who attended the first Boardman Invitational. Congratulations to Allderdice, who cleared the field by 2 games to win.

Championship bracket results:

1. Allderdice (10-0)
2. Solon A (8-2)
3. Copley A (8-2)
4. Olmsted Falls (7-3)
5. Aurora A (5-5)
6. Solon B (4-6)

First consolation winner: Copley B
Second consolation winner: Berkshire (in their NAQT debut!)
Spartan AGOGE Winner: Jakobi Deslouches, Allderdice

Full stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4606/
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Re: Boardman Invitational - 3/17

Postby jesposito » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 am

You guys did a great job of running the tournament, especially for the first time! I do wish you guys would've used an IS set, but I get how you might've been concerned with what kind of teams you could get to a first time tournament. That being said, very well run tournament with a good level of competition. Thanks for hosting!
jesposito

Postby ppadmanabhan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! We'll definitely keep the question set in mind for future tournaments, and we'll try to pick a set and date that caters to teams of all experience levels (we had several new teams register) as well as fits into the Ohio tournament schedule.
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I just wanted to echo Joe's positive comments, especially from the logistical side. Registration was smooth, and so was the lunch service that was set up. There were a couple of really strong readers from Youngstown State, so props to them for coming out and helping, along with all the coaches who staffed. We played our five morning rounds and got to lunch before noon, and even with AGOGE on the schedule and the waiting that entailed, we wrapped up our tenth game a little after 4:00. (As a sidenote, I thought the AGOGE questions were really nicely written, so well done to whoever had a hand in that).

While an IS or other regular difficulty set would have been good for many of the registered teams, I think the teams in the first and second consolation brackets were appropriately challenged by the questions, and it's kind of nice to keep the pattern of having at least one spring tournament run on an A-set (filling the slot that the Mason Mashup and Miami University tournaments have had for the past couple years). I was happy to see several schools in the field that aren't regulars at the Saturday invitationals around the state. We enjoyed our first trip to Boardman!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby ppadmanabhan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Thank you Mr. Benedict! We were very fortunate to have help from both YSU and some Boardman Quiz Bowl alumni, so thanks to them. Glad to hear Miami Valley enjoyed the tournament!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts