TJIAT, 3/24

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

TJIAT, 3/24

Postby TwoHeaded_Beast » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:35 pm

Miami Valley played the FACTS set at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, VA today. We won our 9 preliminarily games and lost our 2 playoff matches to eventual champions Richard Montgomery A and Centennial A. Because Centennial A lost to RM B, which we had beaten earlier in the day, the 3-way tie for 2nd place had to be broken by PPB. This put us in 3rd behind Centennial A, with RM B in 4th.

From what we saw of Richard Montgomery A, they are easily one of the best teams in the country. In their game against us, they had 13 powers (for a combined 16 in the round), with most of them in the first or second lines. This was the most impressive single-game performance I have seen all season. If they can keep this up, they should do very well at nationals this year. Though easy to overlook, Centennial also did very well and, although there were many buzzer races in our game against them, they did have deeper knowledge in more areas than us. Despite complaints about the set, the questions were pretty good overall; aside from slight unevenness at times, I did not notice any major issues. (I am sure TJ, Wilmington Charter, and the other writing/editing staff have been working hard to correct errors.) The TJ players ran the tournament very smoothly, and I enjoyed this chance to play in the D.C. circuit. Congratulations to Copley and Northmont on their strong out-of-state performances as well. Stats are posted below:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4451/stats/combined/
John John Groger
Miami Valley '20
Columbia '24
(Usually the one posting)

William Groger
Miami Valley '21
Columbia '25
2017 Middle School Player of the Year
TwoHeaded_Beast

Return to Old/Outdated Posts