OAC State Results?

Results from tournaments that have occurred should go here. Please post links to stat files when applicable and announce any teams that have qualified for OAC regionals or any of the various nationals.

OAC State Results?

Postby ThePocketProtector » Sun May 02, 2021 11:27 am

I know that the people that where there are recovering today, but I want to express interest in results. Take your time, but know that I would like to hear about it.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Re: OAC State Results?

Postby gmaiorana » Sun May 02, 2021 5:40 pm

Beavercreek defeated Solon 89-60 in an advantaged final to take the championship after going undefeated through the morning. Miami Valley finished 3rd after losing to Solon 87-55 in the losers' bracket final. Northmont had an early exit after facing Miami Valley in the second round due to some seeding quirks and then dropping a close game to Little Miami in the losers' bracket. Copley and Archbishop Hoban both had strong showings, taking 4th and 5th respectively.

Full placements were as following:
1: Beavercreek
2: Solon
3: Miami Valley
4: Copley
5: Archbishop Hoban
T6: Toledo Arts, Little Miami, Walnut Hills
9: Northmont
10: Talawanda
11: Aurora
12: Pettisville
T13: Fisher Catholic, Wyoming
T15: Revere, St. Charles

Thank you to all the coaches and staff who helped put this event on, especially to Mr. Connor and St. Charles for hosting. It was a lot of fun to have real quizbowl back.

The bracket and scores can be found in this spreadsheet.
Grant Maiorana
Solon '22
gmaiorana

Postby tomoore » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 am

This was, unquestionably, the deepest OAC state tournament in recent memory. There were five teams that finished above their seed. Every team had at least one win (is this an OAC State first?)

Congratulations to Beavercreek on their eighth state championship, including their fourth straight title (which now breaks the record of consecutive titles, which was previously set by David Jones’s Northmont teams from 2013-2015.)

A special recognition is in order for Toledo School for the Arts and Pettisville — both teams got NW Ohio reasonably far in the tournament. Also some recognition for Archbishop Hoban for playing their final game of the afternoon in a ‘medal game’ (4th place game) versus Summit County counterparts Copley, a game that was decided on Question #19 of the Lightning Round. They had an issue with their food delivery, causing them to not being able to eat lunch during the break, apparently, but they were incredibly gracious about playing that match ‘on time’ out-of-consideration for their opponent’s bus ride home.

In a similar vein of good character: all nine of the teams I had in my room (Beavercreek, Solon, Miami Valley, Copley x3, Hoban x2, TS4A, Little Miami, Aurora, and Revere) were a pleasure to read for. The students were respectful, polite and supremely chill for it being OAC State, as were all the coaches and parents.

//

Sidenote: can there be a codified procedure for ‘coin flips’ as it concerns the designation of teams “A” and “B?” I don’t know what reader(s) chose to silly it up by having the first team alphabetically call the toss (not a good way to do it), but whoever did it managed to prime one of the teams in their room into thinking that’s how it is supposed to be done. When I did it the correct way, by having the furthest-travelled team call it, I was challenged on it!
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 pm

I don’t know what reader(s) chose to silly it up by having the first team alphabetically call the toss (not a good way to do it),

At OAC state? What on earth...
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby trbenedict » Tue May 04, 2021 9:15 am

Just wanted to thank everyone from around the state who helped OAC State run so smoothly from a logistical perspective. It was great to see folks from around the state in person. Big thanks to Alex Connor and St. Charles for hosting!

tomoore wrote:This was, unquestionably, the deepest OAC state tournament in recent memory. There were five teams that finished above their seed. Every team had at least one win (is this an OAC State first?)

It might well be, especially since the current format of each team being guaranteed 5 games has only been in place for two tournaments (2019 and this one), thereby giving teams more chances to earn a win and play against more opponents.

Congratulations to Beavercreek on their win and Solon for their second place finish!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Return to Tournament Results