Philosophiam Braketum???

This forum should be used to provide practice tips, study tips, help with forming new teams, etc.

Philosophiam Braketum???

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I was wondering what is your personal philosophy/ modus operandi when it comes to bracketing?
1. Regionalism
2. Strength of team
3. More OAC/NAQT bids to be parsed out
4. ???
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: Philosophiam Braketum???

Postby BobKilner » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 am

It always depended for me on what the tournament was to accomplish. If my goal was for the best team to 100% be decided no matter what, then I would try to balance the brackets by splitting up the best teams initially, knowing they would get into the championship bracket together. If I'm trying to get the most quality matches for the teams present, I'd bracket alot of those teams together from the get-go and structure it so many of them met again later. If it was for the purpose of qualifying teams to regionals, obviously any teams already qualified would be placed together so the tournament could qualify as many teams as possible. I just think the situation/philosophy of your tournament should warrant the structure always.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Quiz Bowl Tips