Coaches Hall of Fame

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other categories should go here.

Coaches Hall of Fame

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:58 pm

We did the players hall of fame a few years ago, now let’s do the coaches.

Who belongs? Why? Let’s use Cooperstown’s rules on eligibility and voting.

Go.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Coaches Hall of Fame

Postby BobKilner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 am

I think there's a select group that everybody knows about -- Sue, Bob Weiser, Lynn, etc.

There's a second group right behind them of mostly current coaches that have been successful and doing it for some time: Joe, David, etc.

Then there's a third group of coaches that might not have won state titles, but had successful programs for quite awhile and/or contributed greatly to the game - names that come to mind include Walt Comstock, Rae Gambler, Scott Grunder.

I think there's a tiny pool of assistant coaches that also fall into consideration like Mike Sedlack (who I know is essentially a second head coach at FC, but you get my point).

I'm sure there is a big group that Sue and Joe and some of the people that have been around for awhile could nominate as well, that are much less known to the current generation. I would nominate the coach at GHHS before Mike Bindis, Betty Hofman, who could never get over the Copley hump to win a state title, but that regularly put out teams that finished near the top of the state until her retirement in 1999.

I'm interested to see who others would nominate and why.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am

I would most definitely put up Bob Weiser and Bonnie Molnar (South Range) as my first ballot choices, for coaches that’ll meet (or soon will meet) five years’ distance from last coaching first.

After that... so many choices. Definitely Sue; definitely Joe Bellas... as each one would be eligible years later. To round it out? Probably the coach from Ottawa Hills; probably Lynn; probably Joe Czupryn. Most definitely Jones and Sedlack. Future candidates: Alex Connor.

Also: Sarah “Doc” Vandermeer of St. Charles.

- - - -

Whoever Wheelersburg’s coach was, c. 1980’s & 1990’s, too.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby jrbellas » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm

First Ballot (easy) What I call the "Walter Camp Era" of coaches.

David's pre-predecessor and coach at Northmont - Carol Roberts. Was on the original OAC committee, I think, took her T-Bolts to the state finals a few times.

Walt Comstock (Turpin) - put Cincinnati quiz bowl on the map with the WCMAT and always assembling a team that contended with Walnut Hills for Queen City supremacy.

Sarah Vandermeer (St. Charles) - founder of one of the oldest tournaments in the state, always a contender for In The Know (multiple championships) and OAC monsters.

Alice Rote (Copley) - Besides coaching with Sue, Alice was a big question writer and OAC committee member. Her contributions to our sport transcend the typical ones you'd expect from a coach.

You might consider adding a wing to the Hall of Fame for "Contributions to Quiz Bowl", such as question writing, moderating at tournaments, and general quiz bowl advocacy. I'm thinking of people like Greg, Bob, and Joe C for example.
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Postby dxdtdemon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11 pm

I agree with the names mentioned above. What are your thoughts on Sue Herman from Beavercreek? She did win three OAC state titles as a head coach.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Postby BobKilner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 am

I would have mentioned her if I could have remembered her name. I didn't know her personally, but she came off as a fantastic coach in the few times I did get a chance to talk to her. I think she would definitely get consideration.
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby jrbellas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 am

In my opinion, merely coaching a team to a state title is always a very dicey proposition. Everything has to line up right, and a great team can be upset on a bad packet. Sometimes a coach will just happen to collect four really motivated students and everything just falls into place, without the coach having to do much. Also, if someone were to coach a Cleveland or Columbus city school team to a winning record, that would probably be a much greater accomplishment than coaching Beavercreek or Copley to a state title.

I'd say that in order for Mrs. Hermann, or anyone else, to merit consideration - then there needs to be something in addition: like serving on the committee or running a tournament or league. Not just showing up, driving a van, or having a team peak at the right moment.

Our activity depends so much on just a few individuals, who do so much. Without packet writers like Bob, David, Alice and Joe, we wouldn't have nearly the circuit. Without directors like Sarah, Lynn, Sue, Bob W. and many others, we'd be more like Indiana or Pennsylvania which only have a handful of events all year to attend.

I wouldn't be in favor of just picking a coach, based on winning percentage or state titles alone.
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am

Also, if someone were to coach a Cleveland or Columbus city school team to a winning record, that would probably be a much greater accomplishment than coaching Beavercreek or Copley to a state title.

Raises hand.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

jrbellas wrote:Also, if someone were to coach a Cleveland or Columbus city school team to a winning record, that would probably be a much greater accomplishment than coaching Beavercreek or Copley to a state title.

QFT.

I'd say that in order for Mrs. Hermann, or anyone else, to merit consideration - then there needs to be something in addition: like serving on the committee or running a tournament or league. Not just showing up, driving a van, or having a team peak at the right moment.

Our activity depends so much on just a few individuals, who do so much. Without packet writers like Bob, David, Alice and Joe, we wouldn't have nearly the circuit. Without directors like Sarah, Lynn, Sue, Bob W. and many others, we'd be more like Indiana or Pennsylvania which only have a handful of events all year to attend.

I wouldn't be in favor of just picking a coach, based on winning percentage or state titles alone.

I find myself agreeing largely with this. Where I would disagree though is that perhaps the criteria should be a little bit loose (because while I agree that contributions to the game matter significantly, if we looked at contributions as necessary then we might only have a hall of fame that comprises of people we already know / aka peers.)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

Oh, I also wanted to note that I do agree with Joe on circuit development. Players in OH are incredibly fortunate to have the supply of tournaments that currently exist here. Only a couple high schools will host events in Western PA, for instance.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 pm

I would give Bob Weiser, Noah Rahman and Greg Bossick all the credit in the world for getting the circuit and involvement in the state going through the spread of NAQT around 2004-2005. Sue/Alice, Joe and Carol Roberts did their part with the OAC circuit. In the past 10-12 years, all of their work has transcended into so many more tournaments and opportunities for teams and players, it really has been amazing.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm

I can't speak for Quizbowl prior to 2007 but since then I have been involved off and on.

For NW Ohio I'd 2nd the nomination of Rae Gambler as one of the greatest coaches in that region. She mentored me while I was at Bryan HS. She hosted tournaments and made noise throughout many parts of Ohio. She was attached to ChipBowl.

As the perennial anchors in WC Ohio, I nominate Joe Bellas & David Jones. Both as host, mentor and outreach. David is the most traveled coaches in the state and in many regards the best tactician around. Joe has mentored me over the years.

Sue Korosa... when has she not been a part of the Quizbowl scene??? Great team leadership whilst whipping her players into service minded kids (They also offer to help set up at my tournaments).

Tyler Benedict from Miami Valley. Former player turned QB coach that has written sets, solid outreach especially for the MS circuit, coached NASAT team and one of the nicest guys around quizbowl except when it is tennis season(j/k). Top 10 finish at MSNCT 3x.

Alex Connor from St. Charles. Former player turned QB coach that has written sets, hosted NAQT/OAC states, comes to most Columbus events and a top-notch moderator (all my kids ask about if he is reading at our tournament). He is a great mentor. He has the best-dressed team in Ohio QB.

Joe Czupryn from Sidney. Crazy stats and travel during his 3-4 year tenure. ACE/OAC/ writes, mentors etc.

This group is my under the radar group:

Alex Melton from Ben Logan goes under the radar but ends up at lots of tournaments around the state and 2x top 25 finish @ SSNCT.

Ron Maupin from Little Miami. He hosts and is always fun to talk to. He just needs to get his team to HSNCT they would do well.

Teri Nelson from Smithville. Best and only Food and Consumer Sciences teacher whose team puts on a battle and under Greg's tutelage has hosted 2 events per year for the last 4-5 years.

Joshua Queen from Chillicothe. He is rural Southern Ohio's anchor. He hosts, manages a league, and mentors. While hia teams may not be at the top of anyone's list he is one of the top outreach guys in the state.

Jenny Sage from New Albany. Her teams vary year to year but her league and with Tom Moore's help have been a mainstay of Trash and outreach in Central Ohio.

Doug Wheeler and Western Reserve Academy. He has written MS questions, hosted and taken his team to new heights.

Greg Bossick is the perennial outreach guy in the state. W/o him SSNCT would have about 15-20% fewer teams.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Return to Miscellaneous High School Quizbowl