Saying hello to past contacts

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other categories should go here.

Saying hello to past contacts

Postby justinheld » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Through circumstances both intentional and unintentional, I found my way back to the online quiz bowl community after a 13-year hiatus. Thanks to Bob for activating my account here so that I could make my presence known. I ran a tournament at Turpin in Cincinnati for six years, wrote questions, and moderated at various high school and college tournaments for a few years while I was in college. Life took a hard turn away from anything quiz bowl related once I started my clinical training in medical school. I've been a practicing internal medicine physician at UC since 2011, where I'm currently the head of the hospital medicine faculty group since 2015.

Not sure how many folks (if any) around here will remember me - but if you do, please say hello. I have no knowledge of Turpin's current activities or leadership. I may try to rekindle some connections there as well.

All the best,

Justin
Turpin HS '00
Co-director of Walt Comstock Memorial Academic Tournament '01-'06
justinheld

Re: Saying hello to past contacts

Postby dxdtdemon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:29 am

Hi, I was on the team that won your tournament in 2003, and at your tournament in 2002, Beavercreek's long winning streak ended, where we hadn't lost a round in any tournament since May 2000. From what I remember, your tournaments were probably our favorite since you asked more academic questions than the rest of the questions in those days. Also, accidentally finding the pool when we couldn't find our game room was interesting. These days, I help out at tournaments occasionally. I tried to start a middle school team this year, but my elderly parents are having serious health issues that need my attention a metric crapload of the time.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Postby QuizBoss » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 am

Hello! I was just starting as a coach at Lowellville in Mahoning County when you were running the Turpin event. We all used to post on a Yahoo! group in those days. :)
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby justinheld » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Yep, I remember that Beavercreek team. A player named Steve was very fast. I played against him once when he was an underclassman and I was a junior, and I believe we eked out a win, but for the few seasons following that, Beavercreek was dominant.

Greg - I definitely remember you. Good to see you here. I was telling Bob via email that I can't access that Yahoo group any more because I deleted my yahoo account after a hack. I'm sure it's a humorous time capsule.
Turpin HS '00
justinheld

Postby QuizBoss » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 pm

If you're free and would like to read some tossup-bonus, I'm running an event at Clermont Northeastern on 12/14.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby jrbellas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi, Justin!

I'm one of the few coaches still active that knew Walt from back in the mid-nineties. I remember when you played at Turpin and how well-run the WCMAT was. I was sorry to see it drop off the circuit. Cincinnati really needs more quality events like the Turpin tournaments.

Your alma mater is still active in quiz bowl, and will be fielding a team (or two) at Little Miami's OAC event in November. Not sure what else they do, since they haven't sent a team to state in many years. As far as I know, Turpin is not very active in NAQT format at all, nor do they play much trash.

Regardless, welcome back to the scene. Some of the same powerhouses of the past are still powerhouses today. If it's a good school with good teachers and curriculum, then they'll probably have a good quiz bowl squad.

Best,

Joe Bellas
Quiz Team Advisor
Tippecanoe High School
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Postby justinheld » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi Joe! Thanks for the kind words. Carmen Venditto is coaching Turpin again. Hoping he can right the ship.

Greg and others- I would like to do some reading again pending availability. Unfortunately 12/14 won't work out.
Turpin HS '00
justinheld

Postby BobKilner » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 pm

The group indeed is still there. And yes its rather funny. I distinctly remember as a coach of like 19-years old, getting into an argument with Carol Roberts over something and calling her old or something and pissing her off (as she should have been).
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous High School Quizbowl