Best Way to Get Students Motivated/Studying?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other categories should go here.

Best Way to Get Students Motivated/Studying?

Postby jesposito » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I've been trying a lot with my team to get them studying on their own recently. It's been going well with teaching them things in practice, but when it comes to studying on their own, it is definitely not as effective. Does anyone have any methods or pieces of advice that would help? I've been thinking of giving them journals to write down things in practice and competition, would that be a good idea? Thanks!
jesposito

Re: Best Way to Get Students Motivated/Studying?

Postby BobKilner » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm

When I coached at Garfield Heights, I never had a motivation issue as I always seemed to get overcompetitive kids who hated to lose and put in the work to be good.

Since I've been coaching at my current school, I've run into the same problems and have tried all kinds of different methods, most of which have fallen flat so far.

This is really a question for coaches like David, Joe and Josh/Sue.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby jesposito » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:44 pm

BobKilner wrote:When I coached at Garfield Heights, I never had a motivation issue as I always seemed to get overcompetitive kids who hated to lose and put in the work to be good.

I really feel like it's a culture problem with our school. With schools like that, the kids learn not only knowledge and studying methods from the older kids, but the idea that quizbowl should be studied for outside of class, and effort should be put in. With our school, a lot of kids treat it more as a social club, and almost none of them study outside of practice, and this is because the older kids never passed on that culture. Even if they did study outside of practice, the older kids never gave the younger kids the impression that they put in a lot of work (and that the younger kids therefore should), which I feel is why a lot of the kids don't study.
jesposito

Postby eckj » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm

BobKilner wrote:When I coached at Garfield Heights, I never had a motivation issue as I always seemed to get overcompetitive kids who hated to lose and put in the work to be good.

I think this is why we are successful

A few thoughts

-Our biggest advantage comes from the traditional Sue established. The kids know about the tradition and I keep crazy spreadsheets of career stats and records. Breaking team/individual records is cool thing to many of them. It helps make quiz bowl seem comparable to sports and gives it more credibility to their peers. I also try to get us as much publicity as possible at our school. This helps boost the brand among the students and the faculty.

-The kids know how much Sue and I are invested in this. We give up 20+ Saturdays a year for tournaments. We practice twice a week during the school year and once a week over the summer. I would like to think this makes them work a little harder knowing how much family time we sacrifice to give them opportunities to play. Plus the free trips to nationals for the kids on the A team tends to be motivation.

-Ultimately, it comes down to the kids. If they are going to work, they will work. Some kids cannot even be motivated by the best coaches. I wish I had a real answer for you. For example, we had a player a few years ago who basically went through the motions for his first 2.5 years of his career. For some reason he studied like crazy the second half of his junior year and became our teams best player and won a state championship. It was never expected. I think you are off to a good start. Showing them how to study will payoff. You just have to find a way to show your teammates how fun this game is! Hopefully you can catch the interest of some of your younger players and start a tradition of your own.
Joshua Eck
Coach, Copley High School
OAC Executive Committee NE Region
Website: https://sites.google.com/copley-fairlaw ... zbowl/home
eckj
Varsity

Postby jesposito » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to see what my team can do with more effort.
jesposito

Return to Miscellaneous High School Quizbowl