Since there's no off topic forum...

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other categories should go here.

Since there's no off topic forum...

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 pm

It's getting close to playoff time in high school football. Mogadore, predictably, is returning to the playoffs but advancement isn't a given. D6R19 might be the toughest region in the state to win, but I'm a bit biased.

How are your schools doing?
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: Since there's no off topic forum...

Postby sethbrugler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Well, Warren had to forfeit two wins because a player thought he could be a red shirt senior and play, even though this is his fifth year of high school.
Warren G. Harding 2016
Ohio State 2020
sethbrugler

Postby QuizBoss » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:03 pm

South Range forfeited an otherwise easy win over East Palestine for similar reasons; they need a miracle to make eighth in Region 19 now, beginning with beating Springfield on Friday.

Springfield, on the other, probably gets the 7 seed with a win and the outright ITCL title.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:50 pm

To give you a hint how Fisher's season is going, I've been subtlely suggesting on JJHuddle that the next football coach should be Lynn Stevenson. Not sure about her X's and O's knowledge, but she could make the kids winners... considering we haven't had a winning season since Bob Taft was governor, we could do worse.

Conversely, that school that lost 48 straight games dating back to week two of 2009 plays in our league. Yeah, Millersport. They're 7-2 right now.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:03 am

After the "fight game" with Collinwood, Garfield's season has been relative quiet while still successful. We're 8-1 right now with our only loss coming to Berea-Midpark in week 2 (they're also 8-1 I believe). Unfortunately, teams we expected to win games to get us second level points like Twinsburg and Medina are having terrible years... We will win the (final) outright NOC title with a win this week over Cuyahoga Falls and we pretty much need Riverside (probably will) and North Olmsted to lose to make it in as the 8th seed.

I counted the other night on senior night, I coached 27 of Garfield's 31 or so seniors and something like 18 of them I had from 5th all the way to 8th grade. Its pretty much my last 'real' connection to the school and school district, the class of 2015 that is.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:17 pm

QuizBoss wrote:South Range forfeited an otherwise easy win over East Palestine for similar reasons; they need a miracle to make eighth in Region 19 now, beginning with beating Springfield on Friday.

Springfield, on the other, probably gets the 7 seed with a win and the outright ITCL title.

Don't we love when this happens?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Tom, you realize that was a post from LAST October right?
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:52 am

Yeah. It's not an awful rule, but in the past year in Ohio sports: a Cincy team got eliminated in the regional competition of the boys basketball tournament because they put in an apparently ineligible player in burner time of a blowout. Bellaire St Johns this year apparently had something similar (player of no significance playing in blowout time) which resulted in four or so forfeits. My junior year we retroactively won a game we lost by 3 scores because other school threw in a fullback who had two carries.

It always sucks to see. What is wrong in the way OHSAA does this is that for football it could, in theory, penalize other teams aside from the violating school. I believe if a team forfeits, it shakes up the computer points either positively or negatively for all the teams both schools play.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:28 pm

There was some kind of controversy a few years ago because a team self-reported for playing an ineligible player, which like you said, affected the points of all the teams they had played... I think it turned out the team that was 8th in the region was their hated archrival, who then dropped out of the top 8 because of the points shakeup.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous High School Quizbowl