The Ohio Quizbowl Forum

A forum dedicated to discussing all things related to high school quizbowl in Ohio.
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2016-17 NASAT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 pm 
Rookie

Hello,
A number of quiz bowl players in the state, including Hunter Wotruba from Fisher and myself, want to begin practicing and putting together a team for the next iteration of NASAT. Anyone who is eligible for NASAT and interested is free to come.
We will mostly be practicing through Skype. Post here, or message either me or Hunter if you would like to be added to this.
You can text 7405036967 for questions.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 2016-17 NASAT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 pm 
Varsity

Who is paying for Team Ohio's fees at NASAT 2017?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:16 pm 
Rookie

Sorry for the belated response--Hunter told Tom this, but so everyone else knows:

This is still ongoing, and you can still join if you're interested. This isn't directly associated with those who will pick and pay for the NASAT team for Ohio; but, if you were planning on trying out for NASAT, this is an opportunity to play with your likely teammates on questions of the same difficulty as NASAT.

I apologize for the confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:15 am 
Rookie

Not to shift focus too much, but looks like a tournament announcement for NASAT has been posted: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... ec#p325719

What's the status of Team Ohio at this time?

Miami Valley School '09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

I actually considered offering my services up as a coach for this, but we have a baseball tournament in Columbus that weekend. I hope whoever plays on the team and whoever coaches it, that all of you do extremely well... we definitely have some potential players that could make up another great Ohio squad.

Coach, North High School (2015-)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 pm 
Rookie

Team Ohio does not yet have a coach, and we have not yet had any tryouts. I am not sure who will be paying the fees, or deciding who will be coaching or organizing tryouts.

However, for those interested, we are still practicing online up until NASAT. If anyone at all would like to tryout or contribute to the team, please contact either me or Hunter Wotruba, or just post here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:43 pm 
Rookie

This is among the most viewed posts on this forum, but neither Hunter nor I have received anything from anyone interested in practicing for Ohio's NASAT team.

I would really encourage anyone interested to pursue this opportunity, and for coached to encourage their players to join us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Rookie

I'm willing to step in and be involved as a coach/advisor for Team Ohio at NASAT. I attended the tournament last year in an informal capacity to support Coach Bergman and follow Ohio B, and I enjoyed the experience. I'm happy to Skype into practices, etc. and coordinate official tryouts. However, I/my program can't offer a significant amount of funding, which I understand is one of the big obstacles.

I will also encourage players from MVS to reach out to you, Clark, about online practices if they haven't already.

Miami Valley School '09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 am 
Varsity

A few things:

1) If NASAT doesn't get five more registrations in the next three weeks, the event is off (per Jacob O'Rourke's post on HSQB.) I'm not the captain of this ship, and I'm not interested in doing anything to help the Team Ohio cause other than being willing to read for tryouts, but given how slowly this process has moved (this really is not anyone's fault, though) it is probably in the best interest of Team Ohio to wait and see if this event is even going to happen before assembling a team.

2) Can we consider in-person tryouts and not Skype? One Saturday, over a few rounds, can knock out what is otherwise necessary to be done over a few school nights. If you play spring sports, then school night tryouts over Skype could be prohibitive. I'm assuming Team Ohio would have probably until, like, late April to figure out a team.

3) Are people legitimately interested in doing this event? Right now,the field is Nevada; Georgia; Maryland A, Maryland B, and Maryland C. If the event field ends up being only a couple different states and a handful of B and C teams, then does that still appeal to the participants from Team Ohio?