2017 NAQT States

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

2017 NAQT States

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am

This is a great field.

With the exception of Dublin Scioto, and assuming that Aurora finalizes into the field, every team ranked 2-17 (plus #19 Bexley) will be in attendance. That's 2/3 of the field. The teams that didn't make the top 20, however, round out a very impressive field top-to-bottom: Beachwood is usually pretty solid year in and year out; Central Crossing, from my understanding, put up a lot of points on In the Know and is a team that could pull an upset on their way to a top half preliminary finish; Hillsboro usually has a pretty solid team, a team where racking up too many negs could be costly if playing them; Upper Arlington generally doesn't do a lot of events, so the lack of Saturday experience may hurt them, but they could give a top tier team fits depending on the packet; Firestone and CAHS - two magnet schools with really good academics. With it being NAQT questions, they both may do well on a distribution that has a fair bit of current events and geography.

Thoughts?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: 2017 NAQT States

Postby ppadmanabhan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

Without Scioto, first place seems wide open this year. I can see five different teams having a good chance of winning. (Sidney, Copley, Beavercreek, MV, and Fisher) There should be a ton of upsets as well; I doubt the champion will be undefeated. Looking forward to playing this great field!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:13 pm

I agree with Pranav that if this year's champion emerges undefeated, it'll be a huge statement...I'm not a numbers guy, so this might not be a possible scenario, but I'll go ahead and say it could be the first year in Ohio history that a team could claim first at NAQT States while carrying two losses. Catching the right packet at the right time could swing it for anyone. Good luck to all this Saturday!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 am

ppadmanabhan wrote:Without Scioto, first place seems wide open this year. I can see five different teams having a good chance of winning. (Sidney, Copley, Beavercreek, MV, and Fisher) There should be a ton of upsets as well; I doubt the champion will be undefeated. Looking forward to playing this great field!

I actually think team from Boardman has a better chance than FC at winning. Superior geo + current events knowledge to what the Irish have.

Bold, yet completely innocent prediction: half the field cracks 20ppb. Although I haven't actually looked to see what bonus conversion across the country for IS-166 is, this is just a loaded field.

Over/under on first place ties (record-wise) for preliminary brackets after five rounds: 2.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Return to General Announcements