The Ohio Quizbowl Forum

A forum dedicated to discussing all things related to high school quizbowl in Ohio.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 pm 
Varsity

With no St Charles event, and possibly no Winter War @ OSU, the Central OH circuit potentially is down two events. Unless a new event is created, the only regular season events in the immediate Columbus area will have been OAC Fall, Liberty's event in January and NAQT States.

So... let's put some heads together. Set? Host (possibly OSU); date; how much interest?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:03 pm 
Varsity

Am hearing that one of the Dublin schools may be hosting in January.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm 
Rookie

Why no Winter War?

It make me sad that Columbus has so few opportunities. Growing up in Columbus, I had never heard of quiz bowl. My first day at Copley when Sue came to recruit me was my first experience with it. There is so much untapped potential. I love the work the active Columbus folks do to try to create more interest.

Website: https://sites.google.com/copley-fairlaw ... zbowl/home

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 pm 
Varsity

eckj wrote:
Why no Winter War?

It make me sad that Columbus has so few opportunities. Growing up in Columbus, I had never heard of quiz bowl. My first day at Copley when Sue came to recruit me was my first experience with it. There is so much untapped potential. I love the work the active Columbus folks do to try to create more interest.

I talked to Tristan (Ohio State’s club president) about this event last week. According to him, it’s a combination of several different factors that led to Winter War not being in their plans this year.

My understanding, from Tristan, is that Dublin Scioto is going to be hosting on the Winter War date instead. If true, that’s good; but there hasn’t been any public indication of such event happening, outside of what I have written.

Clark, if you’re reading this, please inform as to what’s going on with this event. Will a tournament announcement come shortly? Central OH is down three events from last year’s calendar (Liberty’s GT4QB is in Dayton now; St Charles OAC is off; and there’s no Winter War.) I believe I speak for every person in Central Ohio quizbowl when I say “let’s see another event happen” (be it Scioto hosting on 1/20, or whatever it will take.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:10 pm 
Varsity

We'll do it if it happens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am 
Varsity

There are several schools I have been in contact with who definitely have interest in playing another Central OH event, but I’m reluctant to tell them the supposed tournament at Dublin until we know for sure it’s happening (as it is not a good idea to pitch an event that may happen, but which hasn’t been confirmed yet.)