Interest in one more Columbus event?

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

Interest in one more Columbus event?

Postby Get Lynned » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 pm

With no St Charles event, and possibly no Winter War @ OSU, the Central OH circuit potentially is down two events. Unless a new event is created, the only regular season events in the immediate Columbus area will have been OAC Fall, Liberty's event in January and NAQT States.

So... let's put some heads together. Set? Host (possibly OSU); date; how much interest?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Interest in one more Columbus event?

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Am hearing that one of the Dublin schools may be hosting in January.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby eckj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Why no Winter War?

It make me sad that Columbus has so few opportunities. Growing up in Columbus, I had never heard of quiz bowl. My first day at Copley when Sue came to recruit me was my first experience with it. There is so much untapped potential. I love the work the active Columbus folks do to try to create more interest.
Joshua Eck
Coach, Copley High School
OAC Executive Committee NE Region
Website: https://sites.google.com/copley-fairlaw ... zbowl/home
eckj
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 pm

eckj wrote:Why no Winter War?

It make me sad that Columbus has so few opportunities. Growing up in Columbus, I had never heard of quiz bowl. My first day at Copley when Sue came to recruit me was my first experience with it. There is so much untapped potential. I love the work the active Columbus folks do to try to create more interest.

I talked to Tristan (Ohio State’s club president) about this event last week. According to him, it’s a combination of several different factors that led to Winter War not being in their plans this year.

My understanding, from Tristan, is that Dublin Scioto is going to be hosting on the Winter War date instead. If true, that’s good; but there hasn’t been any public indication of such event happening, outside of what I have written.

Clark, if you’re reading this, please inform as to what’s going on with this event. Will a tournament announcement come shortly? Central OH is down three events from last year’s calendar (Liberty’s GT4QB is in Dayton now; St Charles OAC is off; and there’s no Winter War.) I believe I speak for every person in Central Ohio quizbowl when I say “let’s see another event happen” (be it Scioto hosting on 1/20, or whatever it will take.)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:10 pm

We'll do it if it happens.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am

There are several schools I have been in contact with who definitely have interest in playing another Central OH event, but I’m reluctant to tell them the supposed tournament at Dublin until we know for sure it’s happening (as it is not a good idea to pitch an event that may happen, but which hasn’t been confirmed yet.)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Get Lynned wrote:
eckj wrote:Why no Winter War?

I talked to Tristan (Ohio State’s club president) about this event last week. According to him, it’s a combination of several different factors that led to Winter War not being in their plans this year.

My understanding, from Tristan, is that Dublin Scioto is going to be hosting on the Winter War date instead. If true, that’s good; but there hasn’t been any public indication of such event happening, outside of what I have written.

Clark, if you’re reading this, please inform as to what’s going on with this event. Will a tournament announcement come shortly? Central OH is down three events from last year’s calendar (Liberty’s GT4QB is in Dayton now; St Charles OAC is off; and there’s no Winter War.) I believe I speak for every person in Central Ohio quizbowl when I say “let’s see another event happen” (be it Scioto hosting on 1/20, or whatever it will take.)

...and, nothing was said. So now it’s the middle of December and it’s going to be really pushing it to try and get something organized at this point.

The hell is the point of having a forum if no one uses it?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Only news I have is that we have had 3 tournaments this fall. OAC Fall/Gahanna/Pickerington. 1/6 I will have my tournament. 1/20 @ Chillicothe is running an IS set. I am heading there unless something happens. 2/24 may be our league tournament. Till 3/3 Trash at New Albany there are plenty of dates to choose from. So in all there will be 7 tournaments in Cbus this year.

Not counting History bowl WC and Cbus have the same amount of tournaments. Two of the 7 in Cbus are OAC and NAQT states. 5 years ago when I started it was OFK St. Charles/Buckeye 10 Fisher Winter War and Naqt/OAC states.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:48 am

crbirdx1 wrote:Only news I have is that we have had 3 tournaments this fall. OAC Fall/Gahanna/Pickerington. 1/6 I will have my tournament. 1/20 @ Chillicothe is running an IS set. I am heading there unless something happens. 2/24 may be our league tournament. Till 3/3 Trash at New Albany there are plenty of dates to choose from. So in all there will be 7 tournaments in Cbus this year.

Not counting History bowl WC and Cbus have the same amount of tournaments. Two of the 7 in Cbus are OAC and NAQT states. 5 years ago when I started it was OFK St. Charles/Buckeye 10 Fisher Winter War and Naqt/OAC states.

So allow me to preface by saying that I do appreciate all of your efforts over the past four years toward making the Central OH circuit more active. For you to have sacrificed as much of yourself toward the planning, development and execution of all the events you put on, despite the fact the very first one was rocky, is beyond commendable. I appreciate your contribution to this thread and hope you engage further in this discussion.

With that said...

The events at Pickerington North and Gahanna-Lincoln weren’t announced publicly (also these aren’t events that were planned months ahead of time.) I can understand if you recruit via word of mouth or via email, those are effective recruitment strategies short-term for an event, but that’s it. And I think in some ways it is a novel, creative idea to get newer teams acclimated to competitive quiz bowl (Logan HS, who played at the event at PN, is a great example here.) However... these events are not long-term solutions (in fact, they’re not even a solution to the problem of our area only having three mainstream, announced events on the calendar). And yes, we do need a mainstream in Central Ohio quiz bowl because of the necessity for both working cooperation and interdependence when it comes to the resources necessary for a tournament to be successful: the date, the building, staffers, questions, and teams. I emphasize staffers because it is critical for new teams to be exposed to the best readers possible, not the ones that have little experience. The other imperatives for our mainstream to be strengthened with the addition (and not the subtraction of) publicly announced events are a) so we don’t have a circuit that bottoms out when a coach (such as you) decides to hang it up, and b) so teams don’t have to do 2-3 hours of traveling for pyramidal quiz bowl because we thought closed-invite events were the same thing as 18-24+ team events that teams could look forward to. Also, if teams (read: advisors) start treating closed-invite events as substitutes for events such as Rowdy Raider, SHATEYRONHA and St. Charles Fall, then we’re going to see less money pumped into the OH quiz bowl economy. (In fact, this might be happening currently.)

I write the above not to disparage nor undermine those two events, nor you personally. I’m sure each event served as an enjoyable, pleasant and appropriate acclimation to quiz bowl for all participants (and that is important!) But it does need to be established that, no, they don’t count as “events for Central Ohio”. They may take place in Central Ohio, they may have Central Ohio teams participating; but if I can’t advocate and pitch an event like Gahanna-Lincoln’s to, say, the coaches for Centennial or Wellington (two schools who probably would’ve enjoyed GL’s event a ton) when they attend OAC Fall because either a) the tournament doesn’t exist yet or, perhaps more importantly, b) because I have no idea it was even going to happen... then does it really count as an “event for the Columbus area?” Do you think two inaugural, closed-invite events at Pickerington North and Gahanna makes up for the fact the two longest running tournaments in the Columbus area (St Charles Fall and OSU Winter) fell from the calendar?

For as successful as your two events were this fall, just think about the couple of more teams that might have came had these tournaments had any visibility before the tournament was played. And I’m not talking about Fisher or St. Charles, I’m talking about teams like Centennial and Bishop Hartley. In fact, I know from my e-mail correspondence with the coach that just took over at BH that he really wanted to get in on playing a fall event. They were signed up for OAC Fall but had to back out because of date conflicts; they were signed up to play at St. Charles, and him and I were planning on introducing ourselves and get acquainted while at SC, but then that got cancelled. I know in talking to Centennial’s coach toward the end of my tournament, their kids were getting discouraged in their first tournament experience ever and the only tournament I could - in good faith - recommend them to, in order to gain some confidence and dip their toes further into the water, was the JV division at St Charles (and I’m not here to flame Alex: I’m just pointing out what difference it makes when we put our events in the mainstream.)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am

crbirdx1 wrote:Only news I have is that we have had 3 tournaments this fall. OAC Fall/Gahanna/Pickerington. 1/6 I will have my tournament. 1/20 @ Chillicothe is running an IS set. I am heading there unless something happens. 2/24 may be our league tournament. Till 3/3 Trash at New Albany there are plenty of dates to choose from. So in all there will be 7 tournaments in Cbus this year.

1) Chillicothe, as distanced from St. Charles, is one hour away from Columbus (50 miles.) I understand that I myself will often reference locales such as Dublin and Powell as being “Columbus”, but Chillicothe is as far away from Columbus as Ashtabula is from Cleveland. I am glad, though, that Joshua is hosting another event. His events always do a good job of satisfying the demand for more quiz bowl in south central Ohio.

2) Is participation in the ITK tourney conditional on one’s status as a participant in the NE ITK league? As in, it’s the post-season tournament for a league? I mean, if that’s the case, it’s yet again another event that is closed off (although this one isn’t bad. Really, none of the other two are bad either – they just shouldn’t be used to inflate the number of events in Central OH when it’s quite obvious I’m referring to Saturday events, mentioned on here, that any school can participate in.)

3) Yes, I am aware Trash at New Albany exists. After all, I helped Coach Sage with a few things in putting on the first one they hosted back in 2014 (as I wrote for the spring set Kilner put out that year.) I get it: it’s their thing. I didn’t forget it still exists, I didn’t intentionally omit it because it’s New Albany. I left it off because it’s trash.

-
-
-
-

Okay, I’m game to talk dates. Can you post what you have written down for the dates between 1/6 and 3/3? I don’t want to sound rude when I say this, but I’m not trying to spend any more than a minute deciphering for myself the correct dates from the incorrect dates with regards to the events you posted about in that thread. Set? Where?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 am

The league is closed off like you stated. Dates that we have open are 1/13, 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, and 2/17. The Pickerington N was last minute because Chillicothe fell through. Gahanna Lincoln was mostly advertised to Cbus schools but we wanted to keep it local and not have Beavercreek grail everyone. Greg will be taking over my my tournament next year as I plan to coach but I will be at a new school and my team will only play Cbus events. I think that people like you and Greg will have a positive influence on the Cbus area. I hope that St. Charles will be back.
Last edited by crbirdx1 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:32 pm

crbirdx1 wrote:The league is closed off like you stated. Dates that we have open are 1/13, 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 3/10, 3/17, 3/24 and 3/31.

Good; we're getting somewhere.

1/13 is probably going to be cutting it too close (my guess is most Central Ohio teams have probably dispersed for winter break and will not meet until that first week back in January.) It's also the same date as Northmont. 3/31 is Holy Saturday, which precludes Diocese of Columbus schools from participating in it. Also, I'm going to try and work on 3/17, as that is the Saturday of my spring break. Unfortunately, I have to pay for things with actual money and quiz bowl volunteerism generally isn't an acceptable form of payment.

The remaining dates you listed seem to work fine. At current, I am signed up to play at SCT @ Youngstown State on February 3rd - so I can help recruit and try to plan for it, but probably won't be available (I'll know by January 11th.)

If I had to pick: 1/27 or 2/10. 2/17 works, too. I'm somewhat reluctant to commit planning and organizing for a March event because that's halfway through my semester, and I'm not too interested in having a tournament planning responsibility hang over my head for that much of the semester.

Next question... set'; site?
Last edited by Get Lynned on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:40 pm

I like PACE and WHAQ has not been played. Also what are you targeting? Novice/Killer/New Schools etc?
You have any pull with a local school? Delaware Hayes would be logistically great for you and me.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Not as much pull as I would like. Maybe someone could reach out to a school such as Wellington or Bexley. Or perhaps some feelers could be put out via e-mail.

I can probably entice one or two of my guys to come help read, and I could read too. That's three readers; assuming you read and we can get a couple local coaches with reading experience to fill in, that provides anywhere between eight to twelve teams already.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

You try Wellington and I'll try Bexley
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Bexley can't.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm going to keep chugging along and doing the best I can. I'm going to try to make the world a better place, while I am here. If a small tournament, here or there, brings people joy, then I guess there are worse things. I don't feel like trying to convince anyone or being convinced. I have became confident in the belief that there is almost always more than one good way to do something.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Tom let me know how Wellington went. If it doesn't work what about a school from the Mid-State League?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 am

Tom Wellington is going the the 2/3 event @ MV are you going?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 am

Just to issue a correction, Wellington can no longer attend our event on 2/3...going in to update field post.
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 am

Just bring it to NAQT states please.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Return to General Announcements