Internet Relay Chat, anyone?

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

Internet Relay Chat, anyone?

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm

On the previous iteration of the Ohio Quizbowl Forum, there was the "shoutbox" - which can be best described as a publicly viewable instant messaging service embedded within the (php)BB layout. The shoutbox would record every message and would keep the message publicly viewable as long as possible, but it would act as a public medium for anyone to say anything they wanted. In other words, a much quicker and less formal way of engaging with the community.

I don't know if a shoutbox revival is possible (hi, Bob! Care to take this question?) but one thing I've thought about lately is if anyone would be interested in something akin to a Discord channel or IRC/Mibbit channel so people within our community can talk about quizbowl/quizbowl tips amongst ourselves in ways that platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, etc would otherwise be tedious. And allow me to note, also, that this ideally would be an #OHquizbowl esque idea - we need not be conflated with the already extant #quizbowl channels that are predominately used by the national (specifically, college) quiz bowl communities.

I personally think this would be neat and beneficial, as it can foster good quiz bowl discussion in shorthand ways as well as reinforce the 'community' aspect of Ohio quizbowl that, at current, really only exists within interactions such as seeing each other at tournaments and the forum-posting crowd. If we were to have this, I think there would be two main rules: don't be a dick, and don't troll.

So, who'd be in?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Internet Relay Chat, anyone?

Postby ppadmanabhan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 am

I would definitely be interested in participating if this happened!
Pranav Padmanabhan
Boardman 2018
Youngstown State 2018
Ohio State 2022
ppadmanabhan
Junior Varsity

Return to General Announcements