2018 OAC Regionals

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

2018 OAC Regionals

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 pm

The official placement of teams just went out to coaches, and at-large teams were just notified of their status. Here is all the info:
Attachments
2018 OAC Regionals Placement.JPG
2018 OAC Regionals Placement.JPG (122.72 KiB) Viewed 31541 times
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: 2018 OAC Regionals

Postby gbdriver80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Just a note: the Southwest area of the state had 19 qualified teams, which caused Blanchester, Lakota West, and Mason to be shifted to the West Central Regional. This then caused Sidney and Versailles to be shifted to the Northwest Regional.

Also, Brunswick and Minerva were shifted from Northeast to North Coast due to the close proximity and need to balance the number of teams at those sites.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 am

Bexley has been added to the SE Regional.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am

gbdriver80 wrote:Bexley has been added to the SE Regional.

Under the previous field at 14 for the Southeast, there was pretty much no clear cut team to even place in the top two. A combination of parity, I suppose, along with a handful of teams lacking the Quiz Bowl experience imperative to being successful in regional play.

With the addition of Bexley, however, I expect the Lions of BHS to cruise through the regional. Anyone’s guess who gets runner-up, then.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:33 am

I'm rooting for Wheelersburg. That being said, I expect the 2nd spot will go to Fisher Catholic or one of the Columbus schools.

I would say that some of the stronger teams in my part of the region have opted out of going to regionals. Waverly, Greenfield McClain, and Hillsboro are all very good teams. I'm not sure that Waverly qualified because they kept running into Hillsboro and McClain. I'm interested to see how Hillsboro does at NAQT State this weekend.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am

I don’t expect FC to advance far enough in the regional to be playing for that second spot. I’m guessing t-5th.

Agreed on Wheelersburg. I would like to see them or Minford advance. Olentangy HS, SC, or Burg/Minford will make for that second spot, I suspect. Possibly Wellington, for that matter. No team in particular, outside of Bexley, really stands out above another in the SE Regional.

My guess is those schools that you mention likely see greater acclaim, and better value, in attending SSNCT than OAC Regionals.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 am

As for the other regions...

North Coast
1. Solon
2. Aurora

This is probably the toughest one to call. Solon is the most likely of the teams in the region to clinch one of the two spots, and I believe that they're the best team in the region. After Solon, it's hard to tell. My gut says Aurora, although it could certainly be Olmsted Falls or Westlake.

Northeast
1. Copley
2. Cloverleaf

I expect Copley to win the Northeast Regional. Cloverleaf has a pretty solid squad this year, too. I expect that the Colts' balance will overcome the one man wrecking crew that is Jason Wright (and friends) of Black River in the game that decides the final entrant on the road (I-71) to Columbus.

Northwest
1. Sidney
2. Centerville

Of all six regions, this is the one where I'm pretty much making an educated guess. Sidney might have the best resume this year of the teams in the NW Regional. After that... I'm not entirely sure. I have Centerville as #2 on a basis no stronger than the belief that since they're a large school and given they traditionally do well in Dayton-area tournaments (when they attend), that they can probably out-muscle everyone else in NW Ohio. If not Centerville, then probably Tiffin Columbian or TS4A, since those two have more extensive pyramidal experience of recent than the Elks. I guess that Versailles could also be playing in the afternoon for that second spot, too, since they're from the MAC (what's understood doesn't need to be explained.)

West Central
1. Beavercreek
2. MVS

Well... I don't know if it'll be in that order, but I'd say with a high degree of confidence that it'll be those two advancing from the WC. The only thing that would likely cause my prediction to break is if Northmont can catch a good packet against the BC/MVS loser in the "final ticket to Columbus" game.

Southwest
1. Little Miami
2. Walnut Hills

In years past, I would typically try and pick a GCL school like St. X or Moeller, or even one of the inner-ring suburbs like Madeira. However, Little Miami will almost certainly win this region based on their strong performances this year at Northmont events and others. After LM, Walnut Hills is probably the safest bet. I don't even know who WH's toughest competition would likely be. CHCA? Wyoming? X?

Southeast
1. Bexley
2. ???

See above post(s).
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:59 am

I pretty much agree with all of Tom's picks. I think Northmont could very well get in with a good draw and if the packets play to their strengths. This is a bizarre year though with a smaller pool of "very good" teams and "very elite" teams than usual. I want to suggest more parity, but I don't honestly feel that way.

We'll see what happens.

Wishing everyone good luck.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby ThePocketProtector » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Tom,

You are probably right about FC, but I have seen them have flashes of some really good play this year in stats. I rarely count out teams that have amazing coaches. As long as Lynn and Mike are there, I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt to FC in the SE regional.

I think that Wheelersburg has the edge on Minford this year. I could be wrong.

You are right about McClain and Waverly. I think that trend will only continue. Hillsboro isn't a small school, but they really enjoy tossup/bonus and prefer to focus on that. I think that is a growing trend, also.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby Djones » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 pm

I see next to no chance that we make it out. It's unfortunate that we will end up in the region of death the next two years, but it is what it is and happens from time to time throughout the state, so no crying here.

I would honestly be shocked if the winner of the state (in both formats) doesn't come out of West Central for the next four years, whatever team that may be.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby jesposito » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Feel bad for the third team out of West Central! Someone's gonna get snubbed no matter what happens. I'm flattered about the North Coast prediction for Aurora, but it seems to me at least that Olmsted Falls and Westlake have a better chance. If I had to pick, I'd say Solon and Olmsted Falls for North Coast, although anything could happen!
jesposito

Postby Get Lynned » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 am

jesposito wrote:Feel bad for the third team out of West Central! Someone's gonna get snubbed no matter what happens.

Agreed; however, that is a good thing in the bigger picture. Good, because not only does it serve as a competitive balance mechanism but also because it helps strengthen the level of play among the regional finalist contenders - both at the regionals/states stage(s) of OAC play, but also beyond. Let's face it, the regions that are experiencing said bottleneck at the top are more often than not the same regions who are placing teams in the state championship game (West Central, North Coast.) Iron sharpens iron. Additionally, many of these teams that find themselves in the "there's three (or four) of us, but only two make it out" situation, a la the bracket of death, are going to be attending nationals and more likely than not will be successful at nationals. They'll come out stronger for having ran with the big dogs at regionals/state, even if they are eliminated from state contention.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 am

SE is back to 14 teams, as Fairfield Christian has had to drop from the field.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 am

Lincolnview has dropped from the NW Regional, leaving them at 13 teams.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

Good luck to all teams at Regionals tomorrow!
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby pbergman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:59 am

Follow results from the Northcoast site at bit.ly/Northcoast2018.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Questions from today have been posted on the website, as have a list of the state qualifiers. Full results from each region will be available on the results tab soon - I am still waiting on two regions but the others have been posted.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

All results are now posted.
Joe Czupryn