2019 NASAT

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

2019 NASAT

Postby trbenedict » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

International Quiz Bowl Tournaments (IQBT) will hold another NASAT tournament on June 22-23, 2019. At this point, it looks like the tournament will be in Lexington, KY, although the tournament director (Fred Morlan) has also made a post asking for host bids, so I'm not sure what the situation is there.

I am the most recent person to coordinate Ohio NASAT, and I am willing to do so again this year, but I wanted to reach out and ask whether anyone else is interested in selecting and coaching the team. I would be happy to step aside and offer my full support to any other interested party. If you are interested in being taking NASAT on, please email me (tyler DOT benedict AT mvschool DOT com) or send me a message on this forum.

One thing that I definitely think that Ohio should try to do this year is get started earlier with team selection, with a goal of having the team selected worst-case before Spring Break (that's different for every school, but let's say middle of March). I think this would help in the following ways:

1. Players know that they are committed to NASAT earlier, which means they have more time to make plans for travel and other expenses.
2. Players can incorporate NASAT preparation into their individual study routine.
3. Players can practice online as a team more regularly in the run-up to NASAT.

Having run NASAT tryouts both online and in-person (with everyone trying out together after NAQT State last year), I am in favor of running NASAT tryouts online. It simply is too difficult in our state to get every NASAT hopeful to the same site at the same time, and rather than ask candidates to make a special trip to Columbus (or some other city), I think a web-based process serves more players better. I have not in my experience noticed that running a tryout online leads to ambiguity in which players are best suited to making the team...over the sample size of the tryout, the data has painted a clear picture about who knows what.

Any feedback the community at large can offer is much appreciated!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Re: 2019 NASAT

Postby tomoore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 am

It seemed to me that you had the right idea behind in-person tryouts, Tyler. But, in retrospect it’s probably too tough to run them in-person from a logistics and time-perspective: whether they are scheduled for the day of an event or scheduled by themselves, it appears that the net cast by in-person tryouts isn’t as wide - nor deep - as what can be acccomplished online.

Kudos to you for taking the lead, yet again, for NASAT. Fingers crossed if it’s not Lexington, it’ll come back to Columbus.

If it’s not Columbus or Lexington, I presume that either Richmond or College Park is the other possibility?
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby mazinomer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Hijacking this thread to say that anyone looking to try out for the OH teams should join the NASAT discord! We’ll be holding packet readings/practices (hopefully) regularly once college applications are all sent. Though I wasn’t on the NASAT team last year, I understand that the teams didn’t practice together as much as they had hoped. This server will hopefully be a remedy for that.
https://discord.gg/eqqMd4Z
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills Junior/Senior High School '19
mazinomer

Postby trbenedict » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 pm

To any players who plan on trying out for NASAT: I’d also like to lock down a question set for tryouts to run on relatively soon. The three collegiate sets that fit our timeline and also seem appropriate for the difficulty level are Sun God (already available), Spartan Housewrite (available by January), and Terrapin (available by March). If you have already seen question content from any of these sets and you want to try out for NASAT, please tell me so I can pick different questions! If you have a strong preference for one of these three sets (e.g., you were planning on playing a future mirror, etc.), also please let me know that.

Also, I wholeheartedly endorse the Discord that Mazin linked above. Please join if you’re interested in some high-level practice before and after tryouts...iron sharpens iron and all that.
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Return to General Announcements