OAC Committee - North Coast

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

OAC Committee - North Coast

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm

I spoke with Bob Weiser today, who informed me of his decision to retire from the OAC Committee. Thank you so much Bob for all that you have done for quiz bowl in Ohio!

If you are interested in filling the vacant spot from the North Coast Region on the OAC Committee, please complete an application here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Wxtpn1j1pnWG5Prp4gFBDy1MdI6NtNfHzyHZuCaBVrc/viewform?edit_requested=true

We hope to review applications during May of this year!
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: OAC Committee - North Coast

Postby ThePocketProtector » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:58 am

First off, I'll miss Bob.

I hope that you can find an applicant that doesn't have ties to a school already represented on the committee. I know that is the intention, but I hope you find the right applicant for that.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby tomoore » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Bob Weiser is without a doubt one of the finest statesmen of Ohio quizbowl we have ever known. Arguably a top-five coach all-time in his own right, what he has accomplished in coaching isn’t nearly as significant as his contributions to the advancement of quality quizbowl in Ohio, which are further supplemented by his commitment, character and energy toward ensuring that quiz bowl (let alone GOOD quiz bowl) isn’t just an after-school extracurricular for Ohioan teenagers but also a highly competitive and immensely rewarding celebration of academic enrichment, team leadership and the pursuit of further scholarship across Buckeye State students of all geographies.

The first NAQT tournament (Comet Classic I, Spring ‘04), the First Two-Day Tournament (Glen Gonsalves Memorial), the first [pyramidal] Middle School tournament (c. 2012?); coach of the first NAQT State Grand Champion squad (2005), OAC State Champion coach (2010), and umpteen OAC regional champion/regional runner-up finishes; the accolades, distinctions and honors, they are beyond measure, but they also are only one fraction of the crest belieing your legacy in not just Ohio quizbowl but that of the memory and conscience in all the hearts and lives you’ve touched along the way!

Bob isn’t just one heck of a gentleman and coach. His ambassadorship of good quizbowl in Ohio was also marked by his charm, professionalism and commitment. As a reader, Bob Weiser was clear, professional but also very enjoyable. Might I add, he was also, undoubtedly, a very cool man to converse with. Friendly face, great sense of humor and a sense of “realness” that he always brought. The fact he continued on his quizbowl capacities which he voluntarily took, past retirement from the teaching profession, speaks to the quality of man and quizbowl hero that he is.

Bob, I think I speak for hundreds, if not thousands of Ohio quizbowl alumni, when I say “thank you for everything that you’ve done for us!” Stay cool, sir, and continue enjoying the Tribe!

- T. Moore
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 am

Doug Wheeler of Western Reserve accepted the North Coast position last night. Welcome to the committee Doug!
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Return to General Announcements