High Schools playing MSNCT and NAQT State Eligibility

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

High Schools playing MSNCT and NAQT State Eligibility

Postby eckj » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 am

Hello everyone,

We played at Waynedale in Oct. on the MSNCT set. We took no players who had played the set the prior year just as other schools had done before us. In April, NAQT revoked our win. I sent an e-mail citing many examples of teams/players playing a set the year before the season or earlier in the season and how these teams later played the set without those players and they were not penalized. After discussion with Hentzel, a few things were brought up that are important for everyone to know. A few schools that I used as an example also lost wins (I am sorry, I did not think that would happen). These are the two important pieces of information I took away based on our discussion and who they took wins away from are as follows:

A. If you have a player on your team that played MSNCT the year prior, you are NOT eligible qualify for nationals while playing that set. Even if you do not take them to the tournament.

B. If you have a student that is involved with a college club and that club plays SCT-DII (with/without the student) that high school is NOT eligible to play NAQT State if that set is used for state (for the foreseeable future it will be that set).

If you have specific questions throughout the season I would encourage you to e-mail eligibility@naqt.com prior to playing the tournament in question so what happen to us and others does not happen to you.
Joshua Eck
Coach, Copley High School
OAC Executive Committee NE Region
Website: https://sites.google.com/copley-fairlaw ... zbowl/home
eckj
Varsity

Re: High Schools playing MSNCT and NAQT State Eligibility

Postby tomoore » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:38 am

Fortunately, we have a state championship that welcomes players who play for both high school and college programs alike with open arms; another good thing about Ohio and the OAC.
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Re: High Schools playing MSNCT and NAQT State Eligibility

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 pm

Per NAQT effective 8/1/19 --

Eligibility Rules
We made the following changes to NAQT Eligibility Rules (Middle School, High School, Community College, and Collegiate Eligibility):

In all four, added the following rule:
In a given competition year, a player may only compete at NAQT championship events at the secondary or post-secondary levels, but not both. The secondary-level NAQT championships are the Middle School National Championship Tournament, Small School National Championship Tournament (SSNCT), High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), and Individual Player National Championship Tournament (IPNCT); the post-secondary-level NAQT championships are the Community College Sectional Championship Tournaments (CC SCT), Community College Championship Tournament (CCCT), four-year Sectional Championship Tournaments (SCT), and Intercollegiate Championship Tournament (ICT). For example, a player may not play both the HSNCT and CC SCT (but may play both the MSNCT and HSNCT, if otherwise eligible). This applies regardless of dual-enrollment status and does not affect eligibility to compete in events other than the aforementioned NAQT championships, even if they use NAQT eligibility rules.

Source: https://www.naqt.com/articles/2019-2020-changes.jsp
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Return to General Announcements