Benedict OAC Middle School Set (BOMS) Available 2019-2020

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

Benedict OAC Middle School Set (BOMS) Available 2019-2020

Postby trbenedict » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:22 pm

This is a mirror announcement for the Benedict OAC Middle School set (BOMS), a middle school question set written in OAC format. The set will be ready to play by August 16, 2019 and is intended to be an introduction to quiz bowl. The set is written in the standard OAC middle school format as used at OAC MS State: each packet will consist of a category round (team questions in six academic categories), a worksheet-based 12-question alphabet round (all answers begin with the same letter), and a Final Round of 12 tossups. For more information on the OAC middle school format, click here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eqJt ... RKeVk/view

BOMS will consist of 10 packets plus a short packet of replacement/tiebreaker questions. All questions will be written by me, Tyler Benedict. I am the current quiz bowl coach at The Miami Valley School in Dayton, and I also serve as the OAC Committee's middle school representative. My goal with this set is to expose as many teams as possible to the middle school OAC state format by writing a set of fun, accessible questions at a difficulty level that is appropriate for newer teams.

BOMS team questions will not exceed 2 lines in 10-point Times New Roman and tossups will not exceed 4 lines.

The mirror fee for this set will be $5 per team playing your tournament. This is a discounted rate (mirror fees are usually $10/team), and my goal is that you will pass the savings on to your tournament field (see list item #3 below).

I would love for every major metro area in the state to have a BOMS tournament near them! If you are interested in hosting a BOMS mirror or using BOMS for your local league, please email tyler DOT benedict AT mvschool DOT com.

For those interested in hosting a BOMS Saturday tournament (i.e., not using it for a weeknight league series), please follow these guidelines:

1. Please use a tournament format that guarantees all teams in the field a minimum of 5 games. If you would like input on tournament scheduling, please send me a message!
    2. If your tournament will have a "playoffs" bracket, please use a playoff structure that is not single-elimination.
    3. Please do not charge teams more than $45 as a base registration fee for your mirror of BOMS. The mirror fee for the tournament is low ($5 per team) in order to allow hosts to make a profit without charging teams an excessive amount to register.

In assigning host bids, preference will be given to newer programs and schools that have not hosted tournaments consistently in the past. If you are the coach of a more established program and you would like to run BOMS, I encourage you to partner with another school in your area and share your tournament-directing expertise! I will happily award bids to very experienced hosts if that is the best option for a region, but I would also like to use this set as an outreach tool for Ohio quiz bowl.

Please email me with any questions, and good luck in the upcoming quiz bowl season!
Last edited by trbenedict on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Re: Benedict OAC Middle School Set (Available 2019-2020)

Postby trbenedict » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 pm

BOMS Mirror Sites (some areas may be able to support multiple sites):

Central (Columbus area):
East Central (Youngstown area):
North Coast (Cleveland area):
Northeast (Akron/Canton area): Our Lady of the Elms (Akron), 3/28/20
Northwest (Toledo/Lima area):
Southeast (Chillicothe area):
Southwest (Cincinnati area):
West Central (Dayton area):
Last edited by trbenedict on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Benedict
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby tomoore » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm

This is a fantastic idea and concept. Big kudos to you for this, Tyler.

Would this be an appropriate set for novice high school teams? Apologies in advance if that’s either a loaded question or leading.
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pm

It’s a fine question! I think the BOMS question content is appropriate for truly novice HS teams, but HS teams should be aware that the set is not written in the full OAC HS format that is used at Regionals and State. OAC MS packets have 6 subjects in the category rounds (as opposed to 10 in HS format), 12 questions in the alphabet round (20 in HS), and 12 final round questions (20 in HS). To compare the rules differences in detail, see the documents linked on the OAC homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacademiccompetition/

With that said, if anyone out there wants to host a novice HS tournament using BOMS, please send me a message!
Tyler Benedict
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Re: Benedict OAC Middle School Set (BOMS) Available 2019-202

Postby trbenedict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am

Start-of-the-school-year bump! If you know someone in your area who you think would be a good host for BOMS, please send them this info!
Tyler Benedict
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Return to General Announcements