The Future of OAC, 2022-2029

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

The Future of OAC, 2022-2029

Postby tomoore » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:01 pm

I write to you all this evening to express a slowly-building set of concerns on the statewide affairs of quizbowl in Ohio vis-a-vis the Ohio Academic Competition. I will preface that my usage of the term "concerns" is closer to a rhetorical rather than an outright criticism or wholehearted dismissal. I think of these thoughts as a loose collection of observations intermixed with opinions, commentary and ultimately a vision for what makes the most ideal quizbowl scene in the Buckeye State possible in the forthcoming years. It should be established, as a matter of new business to the unacquainted and as a reminder to our more seasoned readers, that the goals and intents of the Ohio Academic Competition is to conduct the statewide academic tournament with the general mission of increasing involvement statewide. That statement is certainly a virtue held-closely by all reading this post.

However, it would be incorrect to characterize the mission of increasing involvement as solely the responsibility of the OAC as well as the only sole responsibility of the organization. Similarly, the OAC does not currently possess the ability to significantly and immediately improve the rates of participation statewide -- functionally the organization has limits; resourcefully it is rich in the human capacity, but when measured by school-to-individual representation the ratio is too vast for even the most talented and dedicated representative alone to increase participation by any tens-to-hundreds percentage; and logistically the opportunity to immediately "grow the game" is hampered by the shackles of dwindling personal budgets as well as reduced people power. Be known that these challenges exist regardless of who is on the committee -- it doesn't matter if you have a Committee roster chocked full of Generation 'Y' teachers with expanding professional networks, an unfathomably gifted slate of superintendents from all education domains of various geographies and backgrounds or a Who's Who of the 15 most-fervent quizbowl advisors from counties of 5-figure population or less. The problems that stifle Ohio's participation growth are all the same: it's an activity cached in a pursuit that is deteriorating socially (learning new things), with no centralized nor demonstrated support from any actual state institution and the susceptibility to "budget barriers" holding back genuinely interested newcomers.

I see two primary problems looming for Ohio quizbowl: the risk of the regionals/state set becoming obsolete, and the inability of deeper circuit development to materialize. Neither of these problems fall at directly the feet of the OAC; not one member or director is responsible for these problems, and the blame cannot be placed on OAC for either of these problems occurring. Both of these problems are largely rooted in scarcity, a phenomenon that in quizbowl purposes simply doesn't exist in pockets of higher-concentrations of population and wealth elsewhere in the country (e.g. the DC Metro, Chicagoland.) The reasoning behind OAC being the focus of this scribe is that the organization is the only real hope in making a significant enough impact to create depth in Ohio, a future generation of quizbowl within the state and ultimately the only collective that can help carry the torch of Ohio's quizbowl tradition through this decade.

Neither of these problems (set future, shallow circuits) can be tackled and fixed individually. They mutually reinforce each other -- they're not truly resolved if the other is still lacking.

The Future of the Regionals/State Set

Why does it matter?

Ohio having its own pyramidal set to crown a concurrent state champion (or, depending on how some view it... "the" state champion) is a novelty. The strength lies within the novelty: the tournament dates back decades. The generally consistent high-quality of the set engages students of all experience levels, the inherent 'gain' of an additional 10 pyramidal questions in a given round (30 in OAC versus 20 in Tossup/Bonus) produces better value and imparts the value of learning more things, while also serving as a useful additional tournament to prepare Ohio schools for national competitions (by virtue of its positioning on the calendar and the subject matter asked.)

Why is this being discussed?

It is an open secret at this point that the OAC set is facing survival issues. Talented quizbowlers in Ohio do not write at the frequency of 10(+) years ago; those who do write almost exclusively allot their services at two different capacities (housewrites at the HS level through collaboration with the broader national community, or college tournaments.) There is nothing wrong with that being a preference of today's youth -- however, those two capacities are fundamentally at odds with the necessity of a pristine set for Ohio teams to play. The set has standards, it is considerably demanding on the simple basis of answerline commands and the depth of packets to be written. I think all of our Ohio writers over this past decade have done a fantastic job with the set. But, they have lives beyond quizbowl and there isn't a firm indication that the crop of OH writers is replenishing... for the reasons already addressed.

IF... if the set goes away, the regional/state tournament could still happen. Which, is good! The dilemma is the sourcing of questions would most likely go to a national vendor such as NAQT. NAQT does a fantastic job with questions -- the issue is the supply of a set from NAQT to service the regional/state competition would come at the expense of a set that could be used in the regular season. In essence, it'd be "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

What can be done?

I'm sure this has been mulled over by committee members informally. I don't think there is an easy answer, but I will put out what I believe is the only firm answer and one that literally comes with no consequence.

Get more schools involved. The entire tradition of the OAC set being the product of Ohio quizbowlers lies in the veneration of what the activity meant for them. It is seen as a credit and commemoration of a pastime the writers believed made their lives richer. And that is not to suggest that those who do not write for OAC feel differently about their experiences playing quizbowl in Ohio. It is merely an expression of what I've seen with my own eyes, as you all have. The more seeds that can be planted, the more yield of a future writing class for our state set.

The Push to Make Ohio's Circuits Deeper

Why does it matter?

What's understood doesn't need to be explained. The more schools, the better. It means more competition. It means more people in the tent, in the celebration of academic activity. It means more hosts. It means shorter average drives on the typical fall-winter-spring circuit. It drives down costs. It is satisfying beyond the most imaginative and wildest of fancies, for coaches and players. It means a deeper line at nationals. It improves our state image.

Why is this being discussed?

The possibilities are almost endless in Ohio with circuit development. They are. Horizontally we've seen what can be accomplished with the small school tradition Ohio pumps out annually at nationals: Ottawa Hills, South Range, Beachwood; Miami Valley; scores of other schools that always do well at SSNCT. Oh, we also did have a national champion claimant this year: Garfield HS (Portage County) has the Very Small School national crown for 2022.

Vertically? SW Ohio is a sleeping giant, not just on the state level. They very plausibly could produce a list of schools that would threaten for the grand prize at SSNCT and possibly even HSNCT. The Columbus metro has a deep bench of large public schools, as well as smaller ones, with superb education systems and the student populations to make a splash on the scene. Greater Cleveland and the Akron-Canton metroplex is the same way. Lot of public and private schools that can compete at a high level.

What HAS to happen, in order for the circuits to bud? As I see it, there needs to be a very specific focus on networking. But the scope of networking I'm thinking of is too vast for one person's efforts or talents to increase participation alone. You can't delegate 'outreach' efforts as a simple "e-mail 50 schools this year, John Q. Random" command. Even 25 is a bear. If you start small, like have Bob Kilner talk to his teaching/coaching peers at five different high schools in Lake County, Bob might only get one response that turns into a lead -- but 1/5 is a better shooting percentage than 1/10; 2/25 etc.

With that in mind, that's not the extent or depth of the networking necessary to increase participation. It's a starting point that touches the surface. Once momentum picks up as the seal is broken, I do believe half of the aims through networking come easier.

What are other ways to build the networking of quizbowl in Ohio?
  • Education consortiums/county organizations (e.g. schools with shared services or a common provider of educational services,
  • Athletic conferences,
  • Professional networks of school administrators,
  • Intra-Diocesan, and inter-Diocesan, communications and sponsorships of competition.
  • Others?

If it is agreed that a baseline, like what I've suggested in the last three paragraphs, can be established to get the ball rolling on outreach, then a task (reach out to schools) is declared to meet the objective (getting more schools involved.)

What can be done?
I don't think asking all of the members for every region to go talk to five different schools is realistic (I can see where, in some regions, there's overlap in the circles of who two teachers happen to know.) I also don't know if making it an annual thing for the same person in a region to go do outreach really amounts to anything (burn-out, going back to the same well again and again and again.)

Suggestions:

• Each of the six regions could have a rotating "outreach coordinator" title that changes hands every year. Keeps it fresh.
  • The outreach coordinator could be tasked with a "new-to-quizbowl" event -- or at least putting on a tournament confined to their general area.
  • An alternative could be an "Statewide Outreach Coordinator" position created by the OAC -- if the electee is not already on the committee then they could serve in a non-voting capacity. In theory this statewide coordinator can devote time to e-mailing all known contacts, collated statewide, and offer to talk with the coaches or activities directors of schools that are not regular participants. Not quite a 'salesman' but rather a representative that can hear concerns, answer questions, offer advice and provide expertise to those who have an interest in increasing their school's involvement in quizbowl.
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Re: The Future of OAC, 2022-2029

Postby BobKilner » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:18 pm

Really well-said Tom. As we discussed the other night, the part that scares me is continuing to find good writers to put out a good regional/state set. Because at some point, writers move on, and while NAQT and other providers write great questions, we've seen in the past that its really hard to produce the OAC format if you aren't familiar with the OAC format.

You make some great points about outreach, and I think its definitely important. It is also easier said than done. I think the constant turnover in advisors, schools having/not having programs, etc. works against us a lot more than we think too. Even in my case, the combination of not being able to get people to join the team/show up for practice/study things, plus the poor supplemental had me step down from coaching after last year.

I think these are all legitimate concerns, but I still think there's a place for OAC, and I still think we keep chugging along as long as we can. These are definitely things for the committee to consider moving forwards.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby tomoore » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:55 pm

BobKilner wrote:Really well-said Tom. As we discussed the other night, the part that scares me is continuing to find good writers to put out a good regional/state set. Because at some point, writers move on, and while NAQT and other providers write great questions, we've seen in the past that its really hard to produce the OAC format if you aren't familiar with the OAC format.

Well, in the case of HSAPQ (doesn't exist anymore), at least part of the problem was scaling difficulty and some boneheaded things like sports questions being asked. But that's neither here nor there.

Another issue with national vendors: if NAQT provides future sets, the OAC would have to cease publicly publishing the regionals/states sets upon conclusion going forward due to the fact those questions are licensed and are the property of NAQT.

You make some great points about outreach, and I think its definitely important. It is also easier said than done. I think the constant turnover in advisors, schools having/not having programs, etc. works against us a lot more than we think too. Even in my case, the combination of not being able to get people to join the team/show up for practice/study things, plus the poor supplemental had me step down from coaching after last year.

For sure. It is easier said than done.

I think there are two main root explanations as to schools not having programs:

1) the well of academic extracurricular offerings at a, uh... cómo se dice, low tax-base / spread-out district, is probably one activity. Like Model UN. Or debate. Or Science-something. A singular offering for the "brainy" types. Not everyone is a Solon (hello, Peter... what's happening?) [/officespace.mov] where there's a Science Olympiad, a Quiz Bowl team, and presumably activities in the social studies vein. I wish it were different, but we've got masses of mid-size(-) school districts that are underfunded in an unconstitutional manner.

2) there's a load of Ohio communities where the kids are steered into agriculture, vocations, military, civil service and trades at the same level*above) the emphasis to "go learn new things and make your school-community proud in the process." I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But raw numbers makes the difference. Like, David Jones is likely able to sustain a program at Northmont because there's enough kids in the building (big school) to go around that aren't getting pulled away into those other things. The schools with a fourth (or less) of the student population to his north and west? Different story, I'm sure. It's impressive that Pettisville has a team (because that's a very small rural district) and the same can be said for Evergreen. Would it be an incorrect or improper characterization to say those schools are the exception to the rule?

Curious if Bellas or Bickel can speak more to what they know about what I'm describing with regards to student programming opportunities in exurban Ohio and vicinity, how that relates to the challenges of quiz bowl programs staying alive (or happening.) I don't know if Tipp and Sidney faces those challenges necessarily (they are decently large schools) when it relates to their own programs, but I know that the Central Buckeye Conference (CBC; smaller rural schools) and Miami Valley League (MVL; exurbs) are chocked full of schools that are more closer to what I describe than David's peers in the GWOC (Great Western Ohio Conference) a la Beavercreek, Centerville etc. Definitely interesting with Sidney and their participation on the quiz bowl side with the Shelby County League (very small student populations.) Maybe Josh Queen can talk about what his peers in the Frontier Athletic Conference and the schools along the Route 23/32/50/52 corridors experience with regards to program sustainability in the face of numbers versus other things for kids to do.

oh, and regarding supplementals: this is another lingering problem I've observed over the years. The fact you get a poor supplemental, for something you like doing, is unfortunate! Lot of places also where the Academic Team advisor "job" gets put on the stipend-mule for the high school (e.g. last teacher 'in', the football coach.)

I think these are all legitimate concerns, but I still think there's a place for OAC.

oh yeah -- I didn't write this with the intention of saying there wasn't. Apologies to any readers who may have come away thinking that I inferred differently.
Moore, T;

tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby tomoore » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:38 pm

t/t/t
Moore, T;

tomoore