Ashtabula League

Post any league results or news from northern Ohio quizbowl here. This includes the North Coast, Northeast and Northwest regions.

Ashtabula League

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm proud to say that this competition is almost to the confirmed stage. Mr. Jeremy Huber, principal, Jefferson Area HS has been key to rallying support from his fellow principals in establishing this League, and the coaches' meeting is set for September 30. It will follow the same basic format as the Mahoning League and use the same questions.

Teams confirmed include all nine county high schools and Badger from Trumbull County. We're trying to get this to 12 teams. The county JVS/technical school will be approached to form a team, and invitations are out to Madison HS in Lake County, Bristol HS in Trumbull County, and Maplewood HS also in Trumbull County. At the moment, no Pennsylvania schools have been approached.

Play will follow the Mahoning League schedule: Wednesdays after school, Varsity and JV play, coaches reading, A-set game followed by I-set game, each game counting towards the standings, games lasting 24/24 and ties standing as ties.

Assuming we get to twelve schools, teams will compete within their division for the first five weeks to decide divisional titles and OAC bids, then cross-over in Week 6 to play two schools from the other division to finish the season and decide the HSNCT/SSNCT bids as well as the overall league title.

Later, after the Mahoning season ends, I hope that we can arrange an all-star match between the two leagues' Second Teams and First Teams.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: Ashtabula League

Postby QuizBoss » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 pm

The first match in this league took place this afternoon in Andover. Pymatuning Valley hosted Brookfield. The Lakers and Warriors split the two varsity games, while there was a tie in the first JV game. Brookfield took the second JV game. Scores haven't been reported yet.

Wednesday is supposed to be the normal day of matches in the league, but with parts of the county getting up to a foot of snow, I don't think many games will be played.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Return to Northern Ohio Quizbowl